Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:33 AM   #41

If after the shot you are going to crop it and enlarge it with computer software, then why bothering with all that stuff and not shooting with DZ to begin with? That way your wanted final composition is available right now to focus and shoot on it, and besides, DZ means best (manual) focusing, because you are getting a magnified view of your subject.

Also, I tend to believe that the interpolation method in camera is better than the computer post-processing one, because the camera is dealing with a raw image before to keep the cropped shot as jpg.

Best regards
Clara (a Catalan in USA)
photolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:44 PM   #42

photolover wrote:
Quote:
Also, I tend to believe that the interpolation method in camera is better than the computer post-processing one, because the camera is dealing with a raw image before to keep the cropped shot as jpg.

Best regards
Clara (a Catalan in USA)
I think that is a good point.And embeded software developers tend to be at a higher level of development, as well as only having to deal with one platform.

But It's gonna be pretty close to the same. I would say that if a person was real good at stabalizong the camera at digital zoom, the result would be slightly better. And I am just looking at this from a software development standpoint. There may be other issues that are unknowns.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:20 PM   #43

Since the DZ is all software, why has to generate more shaken images than the x12 optical? I guess a x48 DZ image in camera is a x12 caption anyway, though software processed in camera. I don't see a reason for magnified shaking happening to DZ images beyond the shaking that x12 optical generates.
photolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:50 PM   #44

photolover wrote:
Quote:
Since the DZ is all software, why has to generate more shaken images than the x12 optical? I guess a x48 DZ image in camera is a x12 caption anyway, though software processed in camera. I don't see a reason for magnified shaking happening to DZ images beyond the shaking that x12 optical generates.
What I am saying is... The further you have to zoom... The more camera shake your gonna get.

bobc
Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:01 PM   #45

bobc wrote:
Quote:
photolover wrote:
Quote:
What I am saying is... The further you have to zoom... The more camera shake your gonna get.

bobc
shake is related to optical zoom .... image magnifcation.
or the image on th CCD.
DZ is post processing...
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:53 PM   #46

photolover wrote:
Quote:
Using DZ doesn't cause any additional shaking, it just makes the shaking more apparent. For instance, if at 1x zoom there's 1 degree of shake apparent, then at 12x zoom that will be 12 degrees of shake and at 48x zoom, 48 degrees of shake. (sorry, I just made up an arbitrary way of measuring shake, I don't know what the correct metric is).
petersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:07 PM   #47

Maybe I'm not explaining my self correctly.

I am talking about before the shot is taken. The IS is not as good at full optical + digital zoom, as it is at full optical zoom alone. Thus making it harder to get as sharp of a shot off.

Or maybe I'm just confusing myself (again)...:?:?:?

bobc
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:11 PM   #48

It states in the manual that when using digital zoom, the stabalizer function may not be effective... Page 74.

bobc
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:37 PM   #49

bobc wrote:
Quote:
It states in the manual that when using digital zoom, the stabalizer function may not be effective... Page 74.
This is just conjecture on my part: OIS (optical image stabilizer) works by either shifting the sensor or the lens in the opposite direction of the hand motion. I don't recall which one Panasonic uses, but the end result is the same. When using shaky hands and optical zoom, the OIS essentially counteracts the wiggle by moving where the light hits the sensor. However, with digital zoom the light has already hit the sensor so there is nothing more that OIS can do.

In essence, the stabilization you get at 12x is the same you get at 36x but the effects of the shake at 36x are 3 times the effects of the shake at 12x.

Again, this all just my own theory...
petersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:26 PM   #50

bobc wrote:
Quote:

bobc
correct BOB just read FZ1 manual
today I took 2 shots of a brick wall at 12x and 36x OIS worked well even at 36x
both f4 1/50th
FZ1
Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote