Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2005, 6:05 AM   #1

I've seen some people on the forum making pictures with digital zoom. I was always said not to use the dig. zoom because the quality goes down.Now some of you said the digital zoom interpolation was better than resizing it later. I began to doubt, so I did the final test... is digital zoom better than software resizing.

The first pictures is taken at 12 x optical + 3 x digital (36x). Only a resize to 800x600 in photoshop CS.

The Second picture.. is taken at 12 x optical zoom. I resize the picture 300% in Photozoom pro (s-spline method). And then cropped it to the same area. Also a resize to 800x600 in photoshop CS.

1# Digital zoom

2# Optical -> resized

Now I see the difference
My digital zoom funtion will be freezed @ "OFF"forever.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:17 AM   #2

yes, you are right. I agree

Basac,
Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:21 AM   #3

Very nice test, indeed. However, I don't think this is an either/or proposition. The more you zoom out digitally, the more the image deteriorates. 36X - the outer limit, is extreme, but that's what everyone tends to use, and judges DZ by.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:29 AM   #4

I disagree.. you zoom in 1x ditigal. And you resize a optical zoomimage 100% bigger, i think the quality of the second one will be better. Digital zoom is just interpolation.. and other programs have better interpolation, so it really doesn't matter if its 0,5x DZ or 3x DZ. Software will always be better.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:33 AM   #5

double post....
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:35 AM   #6

Lets take another reason why to use digital zoom.

This shot without digital zoom is the view using full optical zoom and using a Canon 100mm lens on front. Vignetting occurs.

Now do you really want me to try and get a horizontal crop out of this and 80% of the shots I take.

So using digital zoom we close in to avoid vignetting on the shots.

Those are with the FZ10.

At full optical zoom I can't even see if the eyes are sharp. If I use full digital zoom, its not a problem. Now I can see if the eyes are sharp, before I take the shot.

So for other shots using digital zoom on the Sony CD-1000 we have this page

http://www.nzmacro.50megs.com/dz.html

And the problem is ?????

My digital zoom stays on :|

Yes how different we are. We are not all the same andwe all need different tools. :-)

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:40 AM   #7

Ok.. so you use digital zoom, otherwise you couldn't see the focus area. But do you agree than, that you could achieve the same quality with optical zoom only and resizing (not mentioning the focus use) ? Because that is the point i'm trying to make.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:47 AM   #8

I thought that digital zoom IS software zoom. And there are various algorithms that can be used to do this .. and some are better than others right? Anyhow, I wouldn't use digital zoom of any form anyhow. Before digital zoom, film photographers were getting amazing macro photos of the eyes of flies and things anyhow right?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:54 AM   #9

That depends Tim. It depends on the interpolation process of different cameras, some are better than others.

If we have good light, good contrasts then Digital zoom is just fine. If we have bad light, forget it. Waste of time. I would have to agree that its not as good as optical zoom, yes of course. just as Panasonic has said many times. No doubt about it.

But, I don't think its asbad as most make out, not now days with noise removal programs. I certainly know I can't do what I want without it.

So to me, its an in camera tool. if you want to use it, use it. If you don't, don't. Really simple. What we can'tsay, is that its that bad that no one should use it. :-) There are many shots that we can't take without it. Many times when it comes in useful.

I've been through all this before Tim :-), thats why I have certain pages that I keep on it. LOL.

All the best and mine sure does have to stay on.

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:59 AM   #10

emsox wrote:
Quote:
Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
I thought that digital zoom IS software zoom.
Most computer software has better digital zoom algorithms.
I see...thanks emsox.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote