Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:24 PM   #1

Just wondering and curious. Looks like in December this forum acquired most of the newbies, or members who just joined in.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:27 PM   #2

I noted a lot of x-mas gifts
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:43 PM   #3

I think that the word is out on Panasonic and people are starting buy them. Circuit City and other large chain stores are pushing them pretty hard.:!:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:05 PM   #4

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
Just wondering and curious. Looks like in December this forum acquired most of the newbies, or members who just joined in.

As was mentioned, there were a lot of good deals in early December to help push these cameras into the hands of us newbies. For me I had been waiting from shortly after the launch of the FZ3 for the price to get into the 300 range. Seeing as how the canon s1 is dropped much faster then the FZ3 I went back and forth many times between what I believed as the better camera (FZ3) and the cheaper one. I was very happy when the price dropped and the rebates from Circuit City pushed it over the top for me.

I would think a lot of people were going through similar processes. The other thing is just how much time it take to do a good analysis on all the cameras that are being dumped into the channel. If you don't have the inside scoop right away then it's very time consuming to pick the one that will work best for you.

On the up side, the seeming strong sales should help keep Panasonic interested in building these great little gems!

-Brett

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:09 PM   #5

One of the reasons, and in my view a very important one,for more newbies like me,joining this forum is that there are many very patient and generous masters of their art, frequenting this forum who are not allergic to newbies, and take time to explain and encourage. On top of it they have a strong sense of humour too.

In fact I had almost given up on the idea of ever logging on to this forum, seeing that there are somewho like this forum to be an exclusive club of the virtuosos. But, I realized that such individuals are in a very minuscule minority. Actuallythere are large hearted and unassuming geniuses like Nicktrop, bobc,willow,nzmcro, and others, who are marvelous sharp shooters but still take time to appraise and comment on the first enthusiastic attempts by the newbies like me. It does a LOT OF GOOD to the new entrants.

HATS OFF TO THE GENTLE GIANTS OF THIS FORUM.They dont only enlighten about the hardware but actually post their photos for sharing and guidance.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:33 PM   #6

wise wrote:
Quote:
HATS OFF TO THE GENTLE GIANTS OF THIS FORUM.They dont only enlighten about the hardware but actually post their photos for sharing and guidance
Why thank you, sir, for your kind words! (Though I don't consider myself anything more than a rank amature who has a lot to learn...)

To me, this forum is unique from the rest on the web. For whatever reason, It has evolved into a little cyber photo club I get to log into a few times a day, check out some pics and engage in debates conducted - with rare exception, in a civil manner. And, folks are more than willing to share their knowledge and ideas. The fact that it's also international with posters from europe, Australia, and asia just adds to the fun/coolness factor.

It's really a model forum, because it's not really "a forum" per se; it's really a photo club.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:47 PM   #7

Well put Nick. Except for an occasional edible midget or misuse of rock god images, it is a fun place to exchange ideas and techiques:!:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:47 PM   #8

Well said Wise...I feel exactly the same. Thanks to all who contribute. Besides, whatwould we do without Nick's recipes :-)
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:52 PM   #9

wise wrote:
Quote:
One of the reasons, and in my view a very important one,for more newbies like me,joining this forum is that there are many very patient and generous masters of their art, frequenting this forum who are not allergic to newbies, and take time to explain and encourage. On top of it they have a strong sense of humour too.

In fact I had almost given up on the idea of ever logging on to this forum, seeing that there are somewho like this forum to be an exclusive club of the virtuosos. But, I realized that such individuals are in a very minuscule minority. Actuallythere are large hearted and unassuming geniuses like Nicktrop, bobc,willow,nzmcro, and others, who are marvelous sharp shooters but still take time to appraise and comment on the first enthusiastic attempts by the newbies like me. It does a LOT OF GOOD to the new entrants.

HATS OFF TO THE GENTLE GIANTS OF THIS FORUM.They dont only enlighten about the hardware but actually post their photos for sharing and guidance.
wise,

Thank you. I still consider myself fairly new to all this stuff. When I frist came to this forum, people helped me a lot. I feel a certain amount of responsibility to help others if and when I can.

I think the new members are part of what makes this forum great. It's so cool to watch how people develop their skills as they learn more.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:36 PM   #10
scb

Well....the more long term members on this forum really helped us newbies in our buying decisions. Personally, I did a lot of reading and looking on this forum before deciding on what camera to purchase as an upgrade from my 1.3mp cybershot. And...you convinced me to go with the Panasonic...and I'm so happy to be here and to learn from everyone. Plus...I really enjoy some of the shots that are posted here. Hopefully, everyone can keep up the great posts, and continue to be so helpful to rookies so that the forum just gets better!

Thanks to all!!
scb is offline   Reply With Quote