Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:00 AM   #21

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
at least i'm being honest.
Quote:
There are nicer ways of being honest
Quote:
And yes I could give advice, but I don't know what advice i could give.
If these foto's would appear on my computer.. i'd just remove 'm and try it again untill i'm satisfied.
Quote:
If you don't want to give friendly advice... Don't post anything.
Quote:
If I wanted to post photos like these on the forum, it would be like:
"what could be a better way to take this photos?"
Now.. he posted it like this " A few nice shots of the little guy, "
Quote:
That has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
well I disagree on the nice shots, but thats an opinion. If you post your photos on a forum, you need to stand to criticism. If my photos are not good, i don't want anybody to say they are good.
Quote:
There is good in every photo... It's not all about sharpness, color, and exposure... The story a picture tells says much more than how technically correct it is.
Quote:
Cheer up people
Quote:
Well, stop bashing other peoples pics.
Quote:
EDIT: I didn't knew this subject was te growth of the little goat. This chances some things..
Quote:
Then you should pay more attention.
I think instead of posting this post... You should have posted a appology to GnomonMaster, and offered some friendly advice on his pics, as well as pointing out the good points (the story they tell).

But thats just me...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:52 AM   #22

Tim,

Well it has been said by more than one here and it is not about cheering up.

Criticism if it is to be made can be done with spice or sugar. Going to one extreme to the other is not a good thing. Unless that is truly how it moves someone to do so. Honestly I was not happy about your thoughtless response. Thoughtless? How so? To what end do you think someone would gain from a poor statement like that? Also, an apology is in order but I take it is not within you. Indignant is more what I see you as. You may want to rethink about how your honesty is conveyed here.

I don't know why it would not be a surprise that people on this board did not appreciate your post. You put a ? on another one of his posts a day earlier. I responded to it to tell you what it meant. Obviously, you did not read it because it clarified what that post meant.

By the way one of my most cherised pictures is very out of focus and drab. It was taken many years ago before I was born of my Dad in the Navy. Glad I did not post it so you could rip on it.

Just saying it looks bad and that it came from something else was not even close to being constructive.

Now that I said it. Welcome to the board. Hope this helps.

Truth be told most of us came here just to see what kind of camera to buy and the enthusiasm of this forum for this particular camera is second to none. Most here are newbies (like myself). Quite a few are new to anything that has to do with photographing, post-processing and even how to post or use a forum like this. Keep that in mind.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:05 AM   #23

There is good in every photo... It's not all about sharpness, color, and exposure... The story a picture tells says much more than how technically correct it is.

BobC truer words were never spoken-or written!! Probably enough has been posted on how and why to offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism so I won't go there but would like to add that I too like to take pictures and MOST are not keepers but sometimes I do because of the memories that theyinvoke when I look at them.

Major runon sentence:blah:. Keep us posted on The Little Kid.

Happy :|,

norma

remember photography is not only for arts sake it is our memories that are important. Guess I won't share any of mine for awhilearanoid:
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:54 AM   #24

On one side:

Yes you are totally right.. i'm being an asshole, and I do appoligize for my behaviour since I truly didn't know it was about following a little goat.

On the other side:

This is a (technical) forum about a digital camera and i'm new here.. Great to see you have personal stuff, and following each other.. but i'm not (yet) into that (and some people already told me to leave the forum) so whats the point here.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:40 PM   #25

(I actually posted this in the wrong thread initially...:?)

Sometimes, with forums, e-mails, etc. criticism can come across as unintentionally harsh. It's just the nature of this medium. Your initial post seemed a bit harsh to me. However, in turn, I am equally guilty of same in my own subsequent post,now that I've re-read it.Really, I think that all this boils down to - a communication issue, and the nuances (which we're all learning...) of a relatively new medium.

In the case of this particular thread, one of my favorites, we are seeing the growth of a kid from birth to... ??? That's the intent here, they're snaps, and not being posted for critical review. Additionally, these pictures were taken in the same geographic area where I live. It has been dark, rainey, dreary, here for weeks. Where I live, the airport canceled flights due to a dense, persistent fog.

In any case, criticism is always welcome, encouraged in fact (speaking for myself) provided it is intelligent and respectful. In the case of your initial post, I don't think that your intention was to be harsh or disrespectful, but it was perceived as such. And, not to be cliched, but perception is reality.

The goal is to keep this forum a fun, comfortable, place for old and new to come. It is refreshingly free of (stupid) flame wars and insults. For me - the key, (and I have not always been successful) is to not post something that I wouldn't have stated if that person was standing directly in front of me, and a mindfulness that simple statement are often perceived as harsh or curt based on the nature of the medium.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:31 PM   #26

Nick, Very well said, and I would love to agree that peoplejustconstrued TimvdVelde's post as insulting. I don't think that is the case. I think it was outright insulting, and could not be construed any other way.

I deeply respect your ability to be very tactfull and try to keep the peace with your very talented writing style, and your passive nature. I wish I could be like that, and actually have learned to be more like that than I was before I knew you.

But... I cannot sit here and watch this little "PUNK" talk down to anyone on this forum. It's obvious from his next post along with the one I pasted below, that he does not care what anyone thinks, and he's gonna be insulting to others anyway.

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
On one side:

Yes you are totally right.. i'm being an asshole, and I do appoligize for my behaviour since I truly didn't know it was about following a little goat.

On the other side:

This is a (technical) forum about a digital camera and i'm new here.. Great to see you have personal stuff, and following each other.. but i'm not (yet) into that (and some people already told me to leave the forum) so whats the point here.
Basicly what you are saying here to sum it up... Is...

On one side:

I know I insulted someone...

And on the other side:

I don't care, I'm just not into having any consideration for others.

That about sums it up in my book, and until you post an opology... The only thing that I will have to do with YOU on this forum, is to make an effort to stop you from messing up our family.

If you want to be a member of this family... I suggest you start acting like one...

There is nothing wrong with just saying your sorry... I have done it here plenty, and with pride.

bobc
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:47 PM   #27

Well said bobc. If you want to stand back and let this guy destroy the vibe....head on. Not me. It's a an "American thing":evil:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:51 PM   #28

bobc,

I too found Tim's comment to be in the way you said it. I believe though it should go no further.

Nick put it to rest as far as I am concernedand that your last post calling him (prefer to leave it blank) is not any better than what you are expressingover his past comment on this thread.

I believe he got the message and will construct his feedback in a more tactful manner.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:04 PM   #29

Well said bobc and Nick.

To Tim: No one started with super pics. And there are also people who took alot of pics but still not as good. Generally we are here to learn and share our experience. Critics is allowable. But you should also share your experience with GnomonMaster since you said the pics were not as good according to your standard. So what is your advice for him? Did you follow up after your critics?

We are all here to learn, share what we know or do not know, make friends. I think there is no end for how much you can learn. And certainly you can never stop making friends UNLESS you shun yourself out.

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion or behavoiur, but I would always put myself in other's shoes when I make my critics or comments about them. And I find this forum is a nice forum with people all over the world. We can really enjoy ourselves here if we are all a family or friends!
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:21 PM   #30

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
bobc,

I too found Tim's comment to be in the way you said it. I believe though it should go no further.

Nick put it to rest as far as I am concernedand that your last post calling him (prefer to leave it blank) is not any better than what you are expressingover his past comment on this thread.
Quote:
You are right about that... But it felt good...
Quote:
I believe he got the message and will construct his feedback in a more tactful manner.
Quote:
I hope so.
I am sorry for the name calling, but nobody messes with my family.

And just to set the example here...

TimvdVelde,

I am sorry for calling you a "PUNK". I was out of line by saying that. I want you to be a part of this family too. One of the reasons we are here is to help people. We see the good in every picture posted, and give positive feedback.

You just came busting in with this insult, and I have a short fuse with that kind of stuff.

I hope this can turn into something positive.

By the way... You have some outstanding pics posted...

bobc