Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:56 AM   #11

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
I actually dont know what the problem is as the Sunpak 383 does have a f2.8 setting. Just use the ISO 50, and move the automatic mode to yellow. f2.8 pops up and it good for 1.2-9m. Problem solved.
Also Rookie, the reason I bought the FZ10 was because of its features, I believed the quality would actually be lower than Olympus, it was just that no other camera offered the features that I wanted.
B&H prices: Sunpak $70 and Panasonic $150. With the money saved I bought the Raynox dcr-250 and that massively extended the capabilities of my camera. For me the possibly small advantage of buying a Panasonic accessory is in no way out weighed by the price difference. If I wanted the best money could but I would sell the FZ and save until I was 30 (22 now) and buy a D-SLR and lens.
Thanks Treemonkey. I am new to external flash. I obviously was not paying close enough attention. I just didn't go low enough in ISO on the yellow setting. I was playing around a lot with the orange and just didn't do the same on the yellow.

For some reason, I thought I had fooled around with this and didn't like the results, I will have to try again!

If I were to use, say the yellow and ISO 50, which gives f2.8, but then use my camera and f2.8 but ISO 100 or ISO 80, would the actual flash strength not match up and result in overexposed photos?

Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:02 AM   #12

Keenan, this will only work if you have the FZ10 as the Fz20 only goes to ISO 80 or something useless like that. Your other option is to use ISO200 and then use the Green Auto setting as f2.8 also becomes available. Of course the issue is noise at ISO200.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:04 AM   #13

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Keenan, this will only work if you have the FZ10 as the Fz20 only goes to ISO 80 or something useless like that. Your other option is to use ISO200 and then use the Green Auto setting as f2.8 also becomes available. Of course the issue is noise at ISO200.
I see, so its not really an ideal solution hey? Thanks for all your help Treemonkey. This is making sense now. I guess I was trying to articulate that I wanted to get an f2.8 @ ISO 100 which isn't truly possible using the Sunpak/FZ20 combo.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:06 AM   #14

I guess one option is to spend the money on the FL-28 or the OLY-40! Darn it all anyway. I'll see what I can do at ISO 200. If I turn all the settings down, hopefully noise isn't too much of an issue. I'll try it out sometime.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:12 AM   #15

Other option Buy the FZ10!!! :lol:
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:29 AM   #16

Here's my Sunpak 383 settings for FZ20...

You can see, there's possible to use Sunpak 383 in ISO100 F2.8...

FZ20: Sunpak:

ISO100 F2.8 - ISO50 F1.4

ISO100 F4 - ISO100 F4

ISO100 F5.6 - ISO50 F2.8

ISO100 F8 - ISO100 F8

ISO200 F2.8 - ISO200 F2.8

ISO200 F4 - ISO100 F2

ISO200 F5.6 - ISO200 F5.6

ISO200 F8 - ISO100 F4
KTTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:15 AM   #17

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Also Rookie, the reason I bought the FZ10 was because of its features, I believed the quality would actually be lower than Olympus, it was just that no other camera offered the features that I wanted.
B&H prices: Sunpak $70 and Panasonic $150. With the money saved I bought the Raynox dcr-250 and that massively extended the capabilities of my camera. For me the possibly small advantage of buying a Panasonic accessory is in no way out weighed by the price difference. If I wanted the best money could but I would sell the FZ and save until I was 30 (22 now) and buy a D-SLR and lens.
I did not know the SunPak was so cheap. I got Panasonic for 139.00.

It is all relative to which side of the fence you are on. I recently discussed a filter problem I was having with a friend who is a very successful commercial photographer. When the conversation ended, he made a comment that the FZ10 I have is probably taking better pictures than that D70 piece of crap. He didn't mean anything by it, he just stands on the side of the fence where top of the line is normal.

The FZ10/20, and for that matter FZ1/2/3, are great cameras for a guy like me. I really enjoy using them. But they are top of the line point and shoot cameras. They are by no means, and in any way, comparable to a top of the line DLSR.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote