Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:54 PM   #1

I currently have the Sunpak 383 and enjoy it a lot. My one beef is that there is no auto setting for f2.8. My question is whether there are any other flashes out there that anyone has experience with that have an f2.8 auto setting at ISO 100 and has an AF? Basically, I wonder if there are any other flashes out there as good as the 383 but with an f2.8 setting.

The only ones I could find that were close were the Vivitar 283 and 560. I am unsure if the 283 can adjust power automatically (Might of missed it on the spec sheet). The 560 is dedicated and doesn't appear to adjust power automatically. Hmm ...

http://www.vivitar.com/Products/PDFs/Flash/283.pdf

http://www.vivitar.com/Products/PDFs/Flash/560D.pdf
Thanks!
Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:35 PM   #2

I usually use ISO 50, sometimes 100. The flash works out pretty well as is.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:40 PM   #3

It is the camera that locks the aperture... Not the flash. If you set the flash setting to manual in the menu of the camera, it will allow you to set the aperture to any setting.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:47 PM   #4

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
I usually use ISO 50, sometimes 100. The flash works out pretty well as is.

What auto aperture setting on the flash do you usually use?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:01 AM   #5

What about the Panasonic flash. My wife got one for me at Christmas. I thought I wanted the Sunpak 383, but the sales guy reccommended sheget the flash made for the camera. She ordered it online.

I am glad she chose the Panasonic. It works great and has an additional diffuser for softer lighting. It also has an auto setting for F 2.8.

I guess I need to say this, I have been avoiding it but cannot hold off any longer. If Panasonic made such good cameras in the FZ series, then why doesn't anyone talk about the accessories made for these cameras. Yes, I know they are a little more expensive, but aren't good products always a little more?

I have the flash and the tele lens. I wouldn't think of buying anything else after seeing what these do. If I decide to get a wide angle lens, I would not look farther that the Panasonic.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:17 AM   #6

I bought the Sunpak 383 and have been extremely pleased with my purchase. The reason I purchased the Sunpak and not the Panasonic, $80! Some of us cant afford to pay the extra when the increase in performance is minimal. I would rather spend that money on a close up lens, actually that's what I did!
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:28 AM   #7

Please do not take my comments based on the price. I realize they are more expensive, but rather you get what you pay for. The Panasonic was $140.00. Are you saying the Sunpak 383 is only $60.00. I thought it was $100.00. That would make it only $40.00.

My pointis that Panasonic makes good accessories as well as cameras.To me, it is worth $40.00. I just save a little longer. In the case of the tele lens, a lotlonger!

After all, you bought the FZ for this very reason over the Kodak, Olympus, Nikon, Sony, and Minolta.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:36 AM   #8

Keenan, maybe this link will help. There is a PRESET setting for external flash attached and you can override it.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...f&t=110949

Hope this helps.
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:40 AM   #9

I actually dont know what the problem is as the Sunpak 383 does have a f2.8 setting. Just use the ISO 50, and move the automatic mode to yellow. f2.8 pops up and it good for 1.2-9m. Problem solved.
Also Rookie, the reason I bought the FZ10 was because of its features, I believed the quality would actually be lower than Olympus, it was just that no other camera offered the features that I wanted.
B&H prices: Sunpak $70 and Panasonic $150. With the money saved I bought the Raynox dcr-250 and that massively extended the capabilities of my camera. For me the possibly small advantage of buying a Panasonic accessory is in no way out weighed by the price difference. If I wanted the best money could but I would sell the FZ and save until I was 30 (22 now) and buy a D-SLR and lens.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:47 AM   #10

I have done that to my camera. I often use an f4.0 aperture priority w/ the flash in f4.0 but ideally, I would be able to stay in f2.8 aperture priority and figure out what f4.0 + ISO setting ot f2.0 + ISO setting would be the relatively equivalent flash power of f2.8 + 100 ISO. It might not be possible to simply look at it that way.

Keenan