Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:42 PM   #31

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
the other question that comes to mind is, why is some obscure camera store in Australia the first one to introduce a "breakthrough" model like this is claimed to be?
Actually, with 14 well-patronised locations, Ted's could hardly be called "obscure" -- at least in Australia.
perhaps. but - and no offense intended here - Panasonic probably sells moreof these cameras in Los Angeles alone than in all of Australia. given the vast difference in market potential, it's just odd that a chain - even a relatively large one - in Oz would know about this before the gurus at the photo mags, or the really big US chains like Ritz/Kits, etc... especially if this thing is just a month away from the shelves. the whole thing just seems a little too... bogus?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:37 PM   #32

FZ-5 already?

...bogus or not, it's actually pretty ingenious strategy to penetrate an oversaturated consumer market, and at the same time keep margins from eroding. It's a neat tactic especially given the obsticle of finicky and brand loyal camera consumers. Here's how it would work:

The FZ-5 would incorporate just a firmware improvement to allow for interpolation, a few tweeks to the body - essentially the same camera as the FZ-3. The teaks would be sufficient to differentiate the FZ-5 from the FZ-3 but require negligible retooling at the procudtion facility.

Such a transition from FZ-3 to FZ-5 would be extremely cost-effective from a production cost standpoint. Adding interpolation up to 5 megapixels would cost NOTHING on a per unit basis. A few body tweaks would result in (relatively) negligible retooling (which is expensive) at the production facility, especially if the changes are cosmetic-additive. Then:

1. Discontinue the FZ-3 (causing...)
2. Reseller pricing to drop on the FZ-3
3. FZ-3's and (more FZ-1's) flood the used market, for cheap.
4. FZ-5 could be sold at or near "full retail"/"full margin"...

1+2+3 = More Lumix's in the hands of consumers, with zero sacrificing of margin due to preditory pricing or drastic increases in production costs. 1+2+3 = more market penetration, and more consumers "hooked" on the line, like the Nikonians and the Canonites are. It would protect the entry-level model from price degradation at the retail level, while Pana enjoys the drop in per unit production costs as a result of the learning curve dividend.

It's pretty ingenious. And if they're not doing this, hey Panasonic, do you need a strategic marketing partner for a reasonable consulting fee? :G
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:49 PM   #33

Nick...have you thought of auditioning for the Apprentice? Wardrobe and a quick comb-over and you're there:arrow::arrow::idea::arrow::arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 2:00 PM   #34

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Nick...have you thought of auditioning for the Apprentice? Wardrobe and a quick comb-over and you're there:arrow::arrow::idea::arrow::arrow:
What a bogus show that is. It literally makes me ill. Never saw a creative solution to any problem from any of them - including the creepy egomaniac bad-comb-ever-boy, Trump. All it shows is...

1.How overrated a businessman "The Don" is
2 How overrated the Ivy League (...which exist ONLY to preserve the higher echelon, higher paying jobs for the sons and daughters of the "Haves") I would abolsh the "Ivy League" if I were king for a day.
3. How childish and petty office environments are...
4. What talentless, stuffed-shirt phonies mose executives are...
5. Moms/Dads don't let your sons/daughters grow up to be MBAs. (MBA = Mostly Brainless A-holes)

Ughhhhh... can't stand to watch 10 minutes of it. I have more respect as a businessman for a guy who runs a corner candy store, than someone like Trump and his posse of talentless yes-people. And that goes for 80% of the CEOs out there.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 2:43 PM   #35

Wow, I didn't mean to cause a panic by posting that link to Teds. I really didn't think that the current FZ20 owners would be concerned about the "eroding value" of their existing camera and the capabilities of a smaller one (although I, like Nick, like smaller, in gadgetry at least). If you think this is an exaggeration, re-read some of the above posts!

I wish the general populace thought about their cars like you guys think about your cameras. Every Mustang owner in the world would be knocking at my door for the new 05's, trading out of the old body style, and I would be a wealthy man!

Oh yeah, the guys who still own their '64 Mustang keep them regardless of the new body styles. And that's why there are still folks out there using their TLR Rolleiflex...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 2:47 PM   #36

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, the guys who still own their '64 Mustang keep them regardless of the new body styles. And that's why there are still folks out there using their TLR Rolleiflex...
... and still folks who plan to hang on to their FZ-1v2.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 2:57 PM   #37

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Wow, I didn't mean to cause a panic by posting that link to Teds. I really didn't think that the current FZ20 owners would be concerned about the "eroding value" of their existing camera and the capabilities of a smaller one (although I, like Nick, like smaller, in gadgetry at least). If you think this is an exaggeration, re-read some of the above posts!
i can't speak for anyone else, but i'm not worried about 'eroding' the value of my FZ20. it suits my needs just fine, and if Panasonic DOES turn the FZ3 into a 5MP camera using interpolation technology, that doesn't bother me in the least. like Nick said, it's actually a very clever marketing ploy. buti'm not about to sell my FZ20 and rush out to buy a new camera that won't do as much asmine (i didn't notice any provision for manual focus or a hotshoe on the "FZ5"... ) just because it offers the same 'effective' resolution in a smaller package. frankly, considering that digital cameras are by definition creatures of the electronic world, there's no doubt in my mind that in a year or two ALL the FZ10/15/20 cameras will be "obsolete" by then-current market standards, but that won't make them any less capable.

as for the pricing, i notice that Ted's lists the FZ20 at a thousand bucks, AU, which would be about $770 US... that's awfully high, considering the MSRP on these is $600 US(that's $780 for Aussies)! the price he lists for the mythical FZ5 $699, whichwould convert to about $537 US -that's over $80 more than i paid for my FZ20. i don't think that many people are gonna rush out and spend that much money for 'small'...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:27 PM   #38

No one with an FZ1 10 15 or 20 would swap for the FZ5
Pana kept interpolation low to set the Mega Pixels to no higher than the FZ20 ..... of coure it could have been 6.2 mp

The FZ5 has more exposure features, this and that, but no manual focus. its no big deal.Oh and has TIFF option.
Its evf is bumped up and it has a focus light for low light which may be reason for some to get the FZ5
EXIF will show 5mp so buyers will be happy.

Whats the FZ4 ??? minus interpolation probably marketing, are clever are they not

Once you master the FZ1v2 the FZ5 is a bit irrelevant.

Lumix want to keep the Lens at f2.8 over the 12x zoom this is the UNIQUENESS of Lumix this means the successor to the FZ20 will have interpolation to bump up mp for marketing nos while staying with the CCD size.

The CCD is the critical part in the Lens speed, glass diameter, camera body size, formula or relationship, Panasonic are stuck with the CCD sizes which tend to be smaller than canon nikon and others, they dont have f2.8 lenses tho, more like f3.5 which is ONE stop less !!!! , it comes back to body size.

Lumix are great camera's how do you improve on them only a
breakthru' in higher res CCD's of the existing size with no noise increase... its a big order.

As nick often points out 2.1 mp is fine and I agree.

In Aus government sales tax means we pay more

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:03 PM   #39

1)The picture posted on the Ted's site is of the FZ3.

The FZ5 has a few minor cosmetic changes.

2)The CCD on the FZ5 hes 5.36 MP, 5MP used (effective) not interpolated

3)The lens details are not correct

4) The FZ 5 replaces the FZ3 NOT the FZ20, ongoing till ......
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:24 PM   #40

REALYTYCHECK wrote:
Quote:
1)The picture posted on the Ted's site is of the FZ3.

The FZ5 has a few minor cosmetic changes.

2)The CCD on the FZ5 hes 5.36 MP, 5MP used (effective) not interpolated

3)The lens details are not correct

4) The FZ 5 replaces the FZ3 NOT the FZ20, ongoing till ......
so is the lens full f2.8 12x zoom ??
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote