Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:32 AM   #1

I received my Phayee yesterday and have just attached all the bits to my camera or have I.

I can get the big ring on and then the filter and then the other wide ring but....

What is the larger thin ring for and also how do I attach the lens hood to all this.

Please excuse my ignorance but no instructions where included as probably they wouldn't be needed for someone who has half a clue about camera's (me excepted) :?

John
Attached Images

Johnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:21 AM   #2

#1 Locate the trim ring on the outside of the fz lens and remove it (it is about .3" wide)

#2 take the tapered piece, and thread the smaller end onto the fz lens, where you just removed the trim ring

#3 You now have a 62mm thread on the end of the lens to attach filters etc. to.

#4 if that is all you need, thread the small ring onto the outside of the phayee adapter to cover the exposed EXTERNAL threads on the end of the adapter

#5 if you want to (without trim ring in place) you can thread the other piece of the adapter on for a lens shade (makes getting to the 62mm lens caps a pain however)

I stopped at #3 and used a 62mm colapsible rubber lens hood which allows access to cap and filters
GnomonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the help and I have just read a load about this subject on another site.

The thing that threw me is I thought the original petal hood would fit onto the adapter and when after quite a few drinks last night I decided to fit it all I just could'nt work out what was going on:?

Now I have to find a rubber hood for it.

John
Johnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4

GnomonMaster, to solve the proplem of getting to the 62mm lens cap with the hood/adapeter in place, just get a 72mm lens cap for the end of the adapter.

Cheers,

Mark
marksr116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:52 PM   #5

GnomonMaster wrote:
Quote:
I stopped at #3 and used a 62mm colapsible rubber lens hood which allows access to cap and filters.
Hi GnomonMaster,

I set up my FZ15 the same way as you, using only the first piece of the Phayee, along with my filter and a 62mm Hama hood. I found, however, that the 62mm tethered "center-pinch" lens cap(that I also bought from Rong) won't fit perfectly onto the metal lip of the Hama. The cap eyelet that the tether's attached to gets in the way. The cap will hold onto the Hama lip, but the eyelet side stays "free".

Do you use the same lens cap as me, or do you use another type that fits your rubber hood better? Thanks!

Geoff
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:01 PM   #6

What I have at the end of my lens is a 62mm tiffen lear lens protector, to that I mounted a rubber lens hood, the clear protector sticks out far enough to prevent interferance with the teathered lens cap (got 1 of those too)
GnomonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:11 PM   #7

GnomonMaster wrote:
Quote:
What I have at the end of my lens is a 62mm tiffen lear lens protector, to that I mounted a rubber lens hood, the clear protector sticks out far enough to prevent interferance with the teathered lens cap (got 1 of those too)
Hmmm....I've never heard of clear lens protectors...but then, I'm a rookie at most things photographic, so there are LOTS of things here that I've never heard of....:roll:

So you have it set up with the lens, then the lens protector, then the collapsible rubber lens hood, and then...a filter? And then the tethered lens cap? :?:

If I may ask, where did you get this clear lens protector? I checked Tiffen's website, and they had no listing for anything sounding remotely like a lens protector...Thanks for your help!

Geoff
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:32 PM   #8

sukispop wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm....I've never heard of clear lens protectors...
Wait a sec...do you mean one of those clear glass filters, used primarily as lens protection? Like this one I found at BH?--
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=55922&is=REG

If I'm correct, then let's see if I have your setup correct, too:

camera body<camera lens<collapsible hood<"lens protector"<tethered lens cap ***right?***(If not, then I'm definitely lost! :shock: )
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:33 PM   #9

Sukis.....

Read the sticky at the top of this forum for the low-down on adapters and filters and stuff.....taught me loads! I've just managed to get Paypal verified and will be ordering the Phayee shortly, just wanted to ask the original poster (from Liverpool - a brit wahay!) how the service was/is from shanghai?
kaiserb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:49 PM   #10

John,

Don't feel bad....I got my adapter today also and it took me a while to figure out where everything went. My partner was sitting beside me as I was working on it saying "you mean you ordered the wrong size AGAIN???"

Cindy
purpleones is offline   Reply With Quote