Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:58 AM   #11

greenbaron said:
Quote:
This forum is growing really fast; And so many new topics are started every day, It's becoming difficult to keep up.

Because the pana forum seems a pretty happy society, which sticks to it's 'own' forum mostly, would it be a nice idea to add some subcategories? Something like 'post your images' / 'tips 'n tricks' / 'hardware questions' / 'software questions' ?
I ***completely*** agree, was just about to bring this up myself. I think the large # of photos posted is a really good thing, I just wish that it was in a subcategory. I would like to read every single one of the technical questions, but I'm not that interested in the images people are posting (they are great but I don't have the time to browse), and there's no way to easily distinguish between them when you're someone who has a very limited amount of free time. I get the digest sent to me via email and it takes me about 10 minutes each day to wade through it and figure out which posts I'm interested in. (browsing via the web would take me twice as long) If there aren't subcategories pretty soon, I'm going to have to duck out of here as it just takes too much time
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:43 AM   #12

I go back and forth on this...

A "good forum" is one that's active, right? No one posts something here that doesn't get a look or a reply - often many, which is great. That is pretty amazing.

What are "bad" forums? Ones that are inactive. Post something on one of the other forums on this site, and you'll die waiting for a reply if you get one at all! You'll also only have a handful of new threads posted a day(s). BORING! Bad forums also have a fair number of juvenile a-holes who jump on and insult the others for the "fun" of it.

This is the best forum "out there"... period, imo, photography or otherwise. Don't believe me? Pick a topic, find a forum, try it out. I think you'll see what I mean. While I agree with most criticism, I wouldn't mess with it too much. I think equalibrium will be restored, ultimately.

Like a good bar or restaurant, word of mouth has spread and the crowd has increased... a good thing. However, like a bar or restaurant that's suddenly become popular, the worst thing they can do is overrreact by making too many changes.
Like anything else, you can't be all things to all people.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:02 AM   #13

I just unsubscribed to the daily digest.
The "signal-to-noise ratio" on this forum is just too low, I don't have time anymore to wade through all the posts. Again, I'm not saying the share-your-images posts are bad (I think most of the pictures are very good), it's just that I'm not interested in them or some of the off-topic messages that are on this forum. The thread subjects that people are using don't give enough indication as to what's being discussed. It just takes too much time to do anything other than skim through this place occasionally, & that feels like drifting around in a big gymnasium full of people having conversations, without any way to tell where in the room are the conversations that interest me.

Sorry if this post pisses people off.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:12 AM   #14

That is something that I can relate to....

TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:22 AM   #15

arghman wrote:
Quote:
Sorry if this post pisses people off.
Not at all! However, just like there's no perfect camera, there's also no perfect forum. On this forum it's almost certain that you will have a quick reply to virtually any question within hours, usually minutes. Likewise, if you wish to post a photo, someone will look at it and offer advice. (Post a photo in the reserved "Photo" categories, good chance no one will comment, and few will look...) It's also refreshingly free of flame wars, trolls, and other nonsense.

Trust me, an overactive forum is MUCH better than a dead one. The downside? Some signal-to-noise. But that's a good thing too, it's the result of the successful establishment of a community. How boring would it be if all the conversation was about shop talk at a trade show or company lunch or office party? There's a mix here, but 99% of the post are on topic. This 1-2% that aren't - to me, are usually a fun/funny diversion.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:32 AM   #16

I don't think it's overactive... I would like to see more interaction. But the only downside of that .. it gets messy without proper subcategories.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:50 AM   #17

Yes, keep the Panasonic forum as it is.

I do suggest that all Panasonic photogs consider posting some of your pics in the Post Your Photos threads also.

You will have more...

more...

more...

Exposure!

this way.

Just a thought...:idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote