Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:25 AM   #1

Please comment my new FZ20 shots (exif inc.) and PP

FraF

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:09 PM   #2

Nice autumn colors here

the first picture is good. I usually dislike borders wider than 25 pixels, but this one is ok especially because of the leaf leaning over the edge. Would like to see the whole end of the leaf (if your photo allows that). And maybe take the same color of yellow used in the middle of the leaf for the outer border.

the second didn't do it for me. It's to unnatural I guess. The boundery between color and b/w is real hard. Perhaps a soft gradient from color to b/w is a good idea? And also in the border.

Third picture, I like the sharpness and the colors. Nicely saturated. And the border is top notch. The photo enhancement.. the idea is good. But the black and white part is a bit bright. If you make it darker (or invert the whole thing) the leaf looks more real. And less opacity for the drop shadow

These are a lot of comments, you don't have to find any value in these. Just my opinion.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

Hello there and thanks for posting your photos. Its such a pleasure to share with fellow photography enthusiasts...its infectious.

My humble opinions on your photos...I dislike your borders, actually i believe that if you are going to take photographs then they have to be the highlight and nothing should take away from the actual photograph. The only one that i liked was the 3rd border, only because it was minimalist and didn't distract from the photograph. Please just take this as constructive criticism.

About the photographs, i liked the first and third ones but the second could have benefited from you including the whole leaf as opposed to cropping out the edges.

Keep shooting

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:42 PM   #4

The third one is the best to me and needs nothing to add or take away.

The first one looks good especially with the leaf looking as it is coming to life right out of the frame.The border takes away from the picture so possibly less contrasty color border would help.

The second one looks good picture wise. Down at the bottom the border the edge looks distorted by the leaf tip. The top left of the leaf with the red edge looks unnatural. The picture effect is nice but more of the leaf would be better rather than the crop.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:47 PM   #5

I like abstract photography, and this is a very nice series where you're having fun with color and form. I like the use of the border in the second. Framing this shot in this way, where the edges extend beyond the frame is a technique cinematographers use sometimes to emphasize or exagurate the size of an object.

Very nice series... fun, playful, abstract interpritation of a leaf. Borders on Cubism.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:05 PM   #6

willow likes them:G
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:25 PM   #7

Thank you for the comments and opinions.

Actually this has more to do with PP than photographing: the leaves were all out of my balcony so I could not see the LCD while taking the photos (no twistable lcd on FZ20: one of the few things I miss which S1 IS has, along with stilos NiMhbatteries) and I could not risk to make my new cam (or myself) fall down from the 5th floor.

So sometimes I could not take all the leaves. I really meant to focus from 3-5 cm to stress the details of the veins.

I do like frames, but I agree that sometimes they can distract from the image in the same wat that they can ameliorate it other times.

Also I could have waited the afternoon to shot with some sun on that side of my balvony.

FraF
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:32 PM   #8

PS

I also thought that someone could fine too saturated the pics: I shot a low or std in cam saturation and then lifted up saturation a big deal in Photoshop.

I was also experimenting with the best setting in cam:

it seems that LOW sharpening and STD or LOW Noise reduction are fine.
Saturation can be on Low or Std too.

I cannot yet decide the best one with Contrast, which seem less evident (more noticeable the difference between Low / High contrast pics.

Maybe the pics come out soft at full size, but then you have less noise and jpg artifacts badly resolved owing to the noise in underexposed zones.

I usually don't apply NR filters, but smooth the noise when evident by Blur or Gaussian blur.

This cam is not a bed of roses, but the few issues do not spoil the fun in using it.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:30 AM   #9

Narmer,

Keep posting and sharing the information like you have. This forum has me coming here like the morning and evening news only I like what I see and in fact I don't do the news much more because of this.

Your use of the leaves extending out of the frame is a really neat effect.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote