Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:45 PM   #1

This is the one I have purchased, but want to make sure it's a decent one before I use it. Why isn't there a filter to fit right on the lens? I bought this before I read much about them and thought they had sold me the wrong one since it was so much larger than the lens, but then found where it fit and wondered why it would be that far from the lens. On my old 35mm, the filter is on the camera lens with no adaptors. The only guess I have is that there are certain filter sizes and this camera lens is smaller than the standard sizes.

I've been reading the posts about adaptors and still feel a little confused about them. I assume that they are narrower than the one that the hood fits on (that came with the camera). Closer to the lens, in other words.

And last, is there a lens cover that would work with this brand? I am so anxious to take my camera outside and play with it, but want to have lens protection first. I've used it inside a little. TIA!!

rbgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:26 PM   #2

Assuming you mean the 72mm UV filter, yes, it goes on the adapter. I'm using it now.

[Also assuming you're talking about a camera similar to the FZ20]
mwarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:27 PM   #3

i have a quantaray 62mm skylight/UV filter on my FZ, and have noticed no problems with it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:37 PM   #4

You probably should look at getting an adapter as it wiil bring the filter closer to the lens and allow you to use smaller, cheaper filters. Do a search in this forum and you'll find all kinds of info.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:31 PM   #5

The adapter that comes with the fz20 flares out from 64mm (the diameter of the lens housing) to 72mm at the filter end. That design ends up putting an attached filter about 20mm beyond the extended fz20 lens. As you noted, that isn't where you want an add-on lens. You want it as close to the camera lens as you can get it. The 3rd party adapters (phayee, yoshida, raynox, pemaraal) are straight cylindrical tube adapters that replace the supplied adapter. They all have 64mm threads at the camera end andare52, 55, 58or 62mm at the filter end. They're also about 20mm shorter than the fz20 stock adapter thusallowing for a filter to be placed very close to the extended lens. Many people keep one of those adapters and a uv filter on at all times to protect the lens and the extension assembly from the environment. I use a 55mm yoshida adapter and a 55mm Quantaray uv filter. Works fine.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:39 PM   #6

Sorry; yes it is the 72mm for an fz20. My brain isn't always working the way I'd like it to.

Is the Phayee adapter only alvailable in China?

Thanks!
rbgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:47 PM   #7

Yes. You can order here. RJ is a good person and will hook you up. The tethered lens caps are a must have.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote