Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:12 PM   #1

I've been thinking of picking up one of these for a pocket cam. Anybody used one?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:26 PM   #2

i owned an LC33 for about 6 months, before i bought an LC43 and sold the 33 to my ex. they're great little cameras, easy to use, with good optics, Menus are easy; i was using my LC33 (the first digicam i'd ever owned) within 10 minutes of unpacking it. they take great pictures; i've had shots from each enlarged to 8x10 with very pleasing results. they also use plain ol' AA batteries, which is handy in a pinch, and if you're buying one as a back-up or 'second camera' to complement an FZ, you can use the same memory card. i still have my LC43, as a 'take anywhere' camera that goes with me on jaunts where perhaps the FZ is too large, or when i don't really expect to spend time shooting but there still might be good opportunities. if you want to know something more detailed, just ask... i'll do my best to answer your questions...

i "stole" my LC43 on ebay for $115 (store demo), but last time i looked, they were going for around $200.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:30 PM   #3

Thanks. I've got an FZ20 but like you said I just want something to throw in my pocket for random shooting opps. I think I can get a LC43 for $100. Do you miss the lack of maual control?:arrow::arrow::arrow::O
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:18 PM   #4

a bit. but for the kind of shots i use my LC43 for, it's not nearly as important. it's great for family occasions, snapshots of the kids or the dog or scenery. you just can't do quite as much with it, and of course, it's only a 3x zoom, which is a real downer after using the FZ'z... but it renders colors well, and the images seem nice and sharp. go back through some of my posts... i think there's one of a reflecting lake, and another of a li'l spider i took in my tool shed... both of those were taken with my LC43....
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:25 PM   #5

My first DC was the LC33. I like it and I still have it, in additon to my FZ3. It is small and easy to put in a pocket or purse so you can have it with you most of the time. It appears to be sturdy, as my son dropped it on concrete from shoulder height, and all tha happened was a little scratch on one corner. Still works fine in all respects. You may be able to find an LC33 for a little less than the LC43, and I don't think the difference between 3 meg and 4 meg is all that significant.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:55 AM   #6

no, the difference isn't much. the only value to the extra megapixel is that you can crop a bit and still get an acceptable print, and with only a 3x lens, that can come in handy.

Nooner, if you can score an LC43 for a hunnerd bucks, go for it! they routinelysell for twice that on eBay! for anything under $150, it's a terrific buy...
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:13 AM   #7

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:13 PM   #8

I have both the FZ10 and the LC43. They are both great cameras. The LC43 is easy to carry and can take great pictures. Nice to have around in your pocket and use.

My LC43 came with batteries and chargers (not sure if they still do), so I think that's a definite plus versus other cameras.
roge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:13 PM   #9

mine came with batteries, but no charger, but then, it was a store demo... i think most 'brand new' LC43's on the market come with a full accessory set, but the main things are the download cable (it's similar to the FZ cable, but has larger connectors, so they aren't interchangeable) and the manual. the Arcsoft software is the same as the FZ'z, so if you use that already, you won't need a second copy. the batteries that come with it are usually only about 1600mAh, and you'd be a lot better off (more shooting time) with higher capacity batteries... you can get hi-cap (2300 mAh or more) NiMH batteries and chargers quite cheap on eBay - i think i paid $20 for 8 batteries and a charger, and they work great...