Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:18 PM   #1

I purchased a used skylight lens and it seems to have a film on it. I used the cleaner
that I received when I bought my camera but it seems to just smear the lens. Will it
hurt the lens to use a little dawn dish detergent on it?

Pockit

Pockit Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:49 PM   #2

I bought a filter one time and did not look at it good before hand. When I got it home it had finger prints all over it. I was really ticked that a nice camera shop would let that happen. It took about 4 or 5 gentle cleanings with lens cleaner and lens paper to get it clean.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:10 PM   #3

Thanks Rookie I will keep trying to clean it up. If I had taken the lens outside I might
have seen the film on it before I bought it.

pockit

Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:51 AM   #4
ret

I use an ultrasonic cleaner on my simple filters. Not good for multipart filters like polarizers. This will clean oil, fingerprints, etc. with no rubbing of the lens. Carefully dry the filter with a tissue by blotting, not rubbing.
ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:30 AM   #5

i was just wondering if those moist lens cleaning cloths that you can get at walmart (in their vision center) that are usually used for eyeglasses would work on cameras as well? or would they scratch the lens/filters?
wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:11 AM   #6

From what little i do know the best things for multi coated lenses is lens filter paper with some lens cleaning solution. First blow as much loose dirt of the lens as possible, then use a lens brush to brush of lightly...very lightly...the remaining dust, then moisten the lens paper with lens cleaning solution (remember this is a solution specifically made to clean multi coated lenses) and then clean the lens gently. Microfiber cloths and eye glass cleaning cloths are NOT to be used on camera lenses at all. They are soft but still capable of scratching, because they trap dirt between the threads which are then capable fo scratching lenses. So just look for cleaning kits that usually include everything you need at camera shops for under $20 or on Ebay.

hope this helps

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:15 AM   #7

One more thing I forgot...buy a UV filter ASAP. Most people buy these less for its benefits as an actual UV filter...more to act as a lens protector. Leave it on all the time and then you never have to worry about your actually multi coated, multi hundred dollar, lenses. Most basic UV filters will cost about $20 and if something were to happen to it, as you can imagine it would be much cheaper than if something were to happen to your camera lens.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:16 AM   #8

Just thought I would add this link

http://www.megapixel.net/cgi-bin/fs_...-cleaning.html
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:37 PM   #9

Genece

I really like the How Tos on mega-pixel.net. Perhaps we should include a FAQ - for BASIC photography and Camera Care with a URL to it?

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:23 AM   #10

Triedevery thing and still the film remained on the lens. It wasn't until I ran out of
options that I decided to just breath on the lens.A few swipes with my soft cloth
and the film just disappeared!!!:shock:

Maybe it was the fumes off the Chinese food I ate for dinner, it justwent Poof!!
No more film on my lens, go figure!

Next time someone is annoying me, maybe I will just breath on them!!! :lol:

Pockit Breath