Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:32 PM   #1

I tried the B&W mode on my FZ10 for the first time and here are a coupel of pics. The first is my dog "The Supper Bean" eyeing the neighbours cat..
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:33 PM   #2

A teddy bear !
Attached Images

Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

These are neat... Careful BW is addictive. I just bought a separate inkjet just to do black and white prints. (If interested it's an Epson C-86, which MIS makes gray cartridges for to replace the color positions...)

You may find that doing B&W in post has better results, you certainly have more control than in-camera B&W. Here is a fabulous free Photoshop plug-in that does excellent B&W.

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/default.asp
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:09 AM   #4

These are very good...

I'm gonna start messing with the B&W stuff. It looks fun.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:34 AM   #5

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:

You may find that doing B&W in post has better results, you certainly have more control than in-camera B&W. Here is a fabulous free Photoshop plug-in that does excellent B&W.

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/default.asp
HarjTT,
Black and White is a whole other world. I have also started to dabble with this aspect of photography. I love the photo of your dog. It struck me that from that angle it could be the back of the head of a famous movie actress or a rock star. :lol:

Nick, this is the second time that you have recommend that plugin. You're killing me, It's for PC's only. If you happen to hear of one that's similar for Mac's toss the name my way o'l buddy, o'l friend. I have been searching on my own but haven't found anything that looks as good.
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:59 AM   #6

Har....these look really nice BW is working well for these shots and give the plug that Nick spoke of I have it too its really good!!!!!!!!
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:02 AM   #7

Nick

I'm beginning to think that I need to take more B&W pics - I hadn't realised what an impact they can have even on just a simple object such as the teddy.

I'll check out the Epson C86, as I've got an old 800 Colour stylus thats due for replacement soon.

Thanks for the photoshop plug-in tip too - I can't believe its a free download ! I'd like a mac version like Smac too and if I find let you guys know.

The Bean's had to have a trim since that pic - so now he looks real ugly ..I havent dare tried taking a pic incase it breaks the FZ. Heres colour pic of the mutt.

Thanks

Harj

Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:38 AM   #8

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Nick

I'm beginning to think that I need to take more B&W pics - I hadn't realised what an impact they can have even on just a simple object such as the teddy.

I'll check out the Epson C86, as I've got an old 800 Colour stylus thats due for replacement soon.

Thanks for the photoshop plug-in tip too - I can't believe its a free download ! I'd like a mac version like Smac too and if I find let you guys know.

The Bean's had to have a trim since that pic - so now he looks real ugly ..I havent dare tried taking a pic incase it breaks the FZ. Heres colour pic of the mutt.

Thanks

Harj
Harj,

If you're really into it, a company called "The Image Factory" makes the best B&W plug-in, imo, because it can be set to resemble different b&w film stocks.

The only reason I'm getting the C-86 is because an ink company, MIS Inks, makes gray cartridges for this, the C82 and the C84. Printing B&W on a color inkjet looks terrible, imo. Alway get an ugle color cast. NO color inks will ever touch my C-86.

Downside is desk space. Soon I'll have two big ole printers... However, Hewlett Packard makes a printer -
the HP 7660, and I think there's a newer model, that takes their "#59 gray cartridge" (sold separately), that you swap out when you want to make B&W prints/photos.

I would have gone for the HP but my other printer, an Epson R200, is fairy new and has the ability to print on CDRs.

I know this kinda sounds ass-backwards but once you've seen a nice, 8X10 B&W print, that will be your first choice over a color print in many instances. There's just something about them, as you're discovering.

Nick
Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:13 AM   #9

smac wrote:
Quote:
Nick, this is the second time that you have recommend that plugin. You're killing me, It's for PC's only.smac
Don't even get me goin' on my MAC rant...grrrr.... I am forced to use them to teach multimedia courses. Don't get me wrong, they're great machines but 1/2 the software on my PC isn't made for the MAC! That would drive me nuts!

There are some PS actions out there, which are crossplatform, plus there's some very good tutorials out there on how to do it in PS "the right way".

Here's a very good "index page" about all things digital black and white. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/d...ack_white.html

... from DIY using PS channels and layers (SMAC this might be your best option if all else fails - which is fine. Actually, you have the most control this way, the plug-ins save a little time...)... to printing, printers.

Nick