Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:00 AM   #1

I took this shot of Mr. Ed hiding behind a fence post on a really bright and sunny
day. Question is, what camera settings can I use on a really bright and hazy day
to emlimitate the hazy look? I know I can remove it with software, but I want to
learn to use my FZ20 so I won't"need"to use software on it to havea more vivid
shot! I am going to take his picture again and will try any new camera setting
suggestions you can give me, provided Mr Ed will pose for me again!!!!!

Pockit

(Resized and Cropped)

Pockit Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:04 AM   #2

"emlimitate" IS THAT A WORD????? :?
I never kood spel..........:G
Pockit Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:14 AM   #3

It's better to do it in post process. If the camera takes the hazy picture, it does have the largest dynamic color range, so it's good to postprocess. If you take it with high saturation or more contrast. It loses some of the dynamic range.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:46 AM   #4

Are your using a UV Haze filter? If not, you can get a 72mm filter that will fit right on the pana adapter for around 25 bucks. And it will protect your lense as well.

I keep mine on all the time.

Also... Are you using the hood?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:29 PM   #5

bobc,

I have been hasitating to ask this question lest people think that I haven't tried enough, but since the question of haze is already on the anvil, I will let my hammer fall too.

Well, I have found that while using the UV filter(72 mm Kenko, with stock pana adapter,on FZ20), indoors, I have been getting not so sharp pictures(with or without hood, with or without flash), as I get with naked lens. I have cleaned the filter properly, still it is same.

May be it is my imagination, but I ask this because if there is an issue , Ihope tobe guided.

Another thing, while shooting in P mode outdoorsin bright sunshine(with filter, hood in place), I get some very clear pictures while some are blurred. Is it only due to camera shake or is there any other thing involved too. Is 1/500, shutter speed fast enough to eliminate effect of shake? Has anyone till now experienced varrying effectiveness of IS?Could the spot metering/spot focus settings I am using be the culprit?

Excuse me for being a 'Teacher pupil' rather than being a 'Help Menu' man, but I never could make the help menus understand exctly whatmy problem was.

Guidance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Firoz(my name)
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:48 PM   #6

wise wrote:
Quote:
bobc,

I have been hasitating to ask this question lest people think that I haven't tried enough, but since the question of haze is already on the anvil, I will let my hammer fall too.

Well, I have found that while using the UV filter(72 mm Kenko, with stock pana adapter,on FZ20), indoors, I have been getting not so sharp pictures(with or without hood, with or without flash), as I get with naked lens. I have cleaned the filter properly, still it is same.

May be it is my imagination, but I ask this because if there is an issue , Ihope tobe guided.

Another thing, while shooting in P mode outdoorsin bright sunshine(with filter, hood in place), I get some very clear pictures while some are blurred. Is it only due to camera shake or is there any other thing involved too. Is 1/500, shutter speed fast enough to eliminate effect of shake? Has anyone till now experienced varrying effectiveness of IS?Could the spot metering/spot focus settings I am using be the culprit?

Excuse me for being a 'Teacher pupil' rather than being a 'Help Menu' man, but I never could make the help menus understand exctly whatmy problem was.

Thanks.

Firoz(my name)
1. Never heard of Kenko filters... not sure how clear their optics are, but you might try a better-known, quality brand. it may cost a bit more, but nice, sharp photos are worth some investment. also it sounds like you're using the adapter and hood that came with the camera, which puts the filter soemthing like 20mm from the lens. that can also contribute to the problem, depending on lighting conditions. i'd recommend an aftermarket adapter to position the filter right in front of the lens. again, an investment, but a small one, and it may help solve the problem.

2. 1/500 is plenty fast enough to eliminate hand-shake blurring.

3. what aperture setting are you using? if you're shooting at f2.8, the depth of field will be pretty shallow, and the background will be soft or slightly blurred. try using aperture priority mode, and set the aperture for, say, f5.6, and see what happens.

4you didn't mention what metering/focus mode settings you're using, but they could possibly affect the image. are you "pre-focusing" by holding the shutter button halfway down till the focus grid turns green before you snap the picture? if not, you may get blurry pics because the camera hasn't focused fully when you take the shot.

5. the OIS should be in mode 2 for the most effect. mode 1 makes it easier to compose a shot, so they say (but if you're shaking so bad it interferes with composition, OIS won't help anyway!), but mode 2 only works at the instant you actually take the picture, and is supposed to produce a sharper image.

i'm no expert by any means, but you might try these things and see if they help...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:48 PM   #7

oops... too fast on the keys... sorry for the double post!
Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:54 PM   #8

Pockit Foto wrote:
Quote:

I took this shot of Mr. Ed hiding behind a fence post on a really bright and sunny
day. Question is, what camera settings can I use on a really bright and hazy day
to emlimitate the hazy look? I know I can remove it with software, but I want to
learn to use my FZ20 so I won't"need"to use software on it to havea more vivid
shot! I am going to take his picture again and will try any new camera setting
suggestions you can give me, provided Mr Ed will pose for me again!!!!!

Pockit

(Resized and Cropped)

What aperture setting were you using? if the camera was set at f2.8 os something close, your depth of field will be small, and the background will be soft or "hazy". if the day itself is hazy, there's not much you can do, although a UV filter and/or a polarizer will help. if you get chance to shoot Mr. Ed again, try aperture priority ("A" mode) and set the aperture for f5.6 or higher, and see if that helps... I use "A" mode a lot, sincethe larger apertures the camera sometimes selects tend to reduce DoF and make backgrounds softer than i sometimes like.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:08 PM   #9

Thanks squirrel, for prompt response.

I use spot metering and spot focussing all the time, and have been shooting mostly in P mode(newbie, you see). I think now I will try in Aperture priority mode.

I have OIS in Mode-2. So no mistake there.

Yes, I have prefocussed all the pics and have shot them only after getting the non blinking green spot on the LCD. All these things I already learned from lurking on this forum, reading various posts.

Thanks againfor advice.

wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:27 PM   #10

wise wrote:
Quote:
bobc,

Thanks.

Firoz(my name)
I use a Quantaray filter, and never had any problems indoors or out. I even tested shots with and without the filter.

I never had the filter that you mention, so I don't know why you would be having a problem.

Sorry...:?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote