Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:15 PM   #31
Administrator

Actually, I was hesitant to even jump into this thread....

You guys seem to do a great job of keeping thingsgoing smoothly on yourown,coming up with workable ideas without interference from us.

I mainly wanted to point out that more users are impacted from bandwidth issues that you see comments fromon the forums here.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:25 PM   #32

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Well, his biggest issue seems to be bandwidth:

Quote:
My biggest issue is the massive number of photos that have been posted in a single thread, now we have 10+ images in a thread. While I have a broadband connection it traffic is capped and after a week or so I no longer have the ability to see any of these photos as I have chewed my bandwidth reloading the whole thread trying to see one extra comment.

We do get some complaints from time to time from dialup users, too.*** Keep in mind that it's hard to tell what's going to be found in a thread until you actually open it.

So, that means that if you're on dialup, and a lot of photos are posted, then you may have a LONG wait for a page to load.** Unfortunately, not everyone has a high speed connection with unlimited bandwidth.
something you can do if you realize a page has too many images is hitting esc or pressing stop. since the text loads before the images do, you shouldn't miss anything. then, if you want to view a specific image, you can right-click the image placeholder and click "show image" or "reload image".

edit: i like the idea of a "click to view image" option though. especially if it's settable as a user preference (i.e. always show images vs. always show "click to view image" link)
plenTpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:27 PM   #33

Since the amount of picture posting has increased specifically for this brand could it be possible that we have a split in an area to post pictures and the other for technical questions and or information with tips specific to camera user. It sounds like this request is a bigger job than is necessary but the pictures posted here are to see what the respective Panasonic camera can do.

In the other section it really does not matter what camera took the picture. As long as it goes with the topic.

NickTrop started a great one with just, "Lets get to know each other".

Kenny Leong has the best idea but I am not sure a lot of users would take the time to do that and the bandwidth where the picture is posted as a link may not allow for anyone to view. Yet others find out that there is no remote linking either.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:40 PM   #34
Administrator

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Since the amount of picture posting has increased specifically for this brand could it be possible that we have a split in an area to post pictures and the other for technical questions and or information with tips specific to camera user. It sounds like this request is a bigger job than is necessary but the pictures posted here are to see what the respective Panasonic camera can do.
Well, it's not really specific to this brand... I'm seeing the same thing in the Nikon forum now, too.

I think that as the forums grow, it will be an issue for more forums.

That's what I was discussing with Fox above (he suggested a separate area for photos here). There are pros and cons to this approach, and if we did it here,the other forums would want the same thing. ;-) Otherwise, we'd be showing favoritism towards one brand versus another (something that we try not to do).

Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:51 PM   #35

Thanks for pointing that out. Not looking at the big picture. :|
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:27 PM   #36

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Well, it's not really specific to this brand... I'm seeing the same thing in the Nikon forum now, too.
They are just trying to copy off us... Them Panawannabee's...:G

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:29 PM   #37
Fox

Maybe a sticky was not the best example, that would get long wouldn't it.:? Thankfully you understood what I was saying.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
So, if a decision was made to give each manufacturer specific forum their own space for photos (probably a different forum for them, versus one LONG thread setup as a sticky), then we'd need to do the same thing for all of the rest, too.

I understand that you have to be fair to everyone, but would you have to give it to everyone at the same time? It was my understanding that the Panasonic forums are the most active forums here on Steve's Digicams forum (correct me if I'm wrong) I guess Nikon's forums are picking up too. We are both probably feeling some growing pains. I think a place to put the pictures within our own forums and a few sticky Topics, FAQ and such would do a world of good for us here. While I have your ear, what needs to be done to get a topic sticky?

JimC wrote:
Quote:
This means more forums for us to monitor and maintain (as well as more places a forum member would need to look for photos). This would also create a lot of redundancy (since we already have forums setup for posting photos).

This is true, is there anyway that you could get a few select people that frequent the forums on a regular basis to report to you if someone is breaking the rules. This would lighten your load and give a few users a bit more responsibly.
I've only been here a little while and have only witness two times that things got off topic or should I say out of the bounds of this forum's rules. I would hope that we could monitor ourselves with enough responsibility that we could be trusted.

The Panasonic community here seems to be a close knit bunch. Being able to post our pictures here within this forum would be a great plus. A big THANKS goes out to you, and Steve, and Kalypso, for trying to work this out for us!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:30 PM   #38
Fox

bobc wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
They are just trying to copy off us... Them Panawannabee's...:G

bobc
:G:G:G:G
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:03 PM   #39
Administrator

Yes, the Panasonic forums are very active now. This tends to change around from time to time (especially when a manufacturer comes out with a model that's popular).

As far as letting us know when a thread gets out of line, we already rely on others to let us know about it. There are simply too many posts for us to read every one.

As for stickies, any of the moderators have the ability to make athread a sticky. But, we don't want to go "overboard" on them either. I'd prefer to run any of them by Steve and Kalypso before taking this route.

After all, if a topic is popular enough, it will stay near the top of the forum threads anyway, without us needing to make it a "sticky" (a.k.a., announcement) thread. ;-)

One example is the current FAQ sticky. Kalypso got a request from Alexo to make it a sticky and he did after a suggested change.

As for photos being posted here, the last time we discussed it, Steve decided to leave it as is for now. But, as you can see from this thread, others are impacted by this policy.

So, if you guys can't come up with an easy way to keep everyone happy, and more users are impacted as the forums continue to grow, we may need to find better alternatives.

I'm not convinced that a separate forum just for manufacturer specific photos is really needed yet, if there were ways for dialup users (and/or users with bandwidth usage restrictions), to avoid threads with lots of pics.

The subject titles of many threads already indicate that they have photos, and if users would make sure to include some way of warning users about pics, then it may alleviate the problem.

I've seen this issue come up in other forums before, and most of the time, the users end up policing themselves without any major forum changes (friendly reminders to others that some users are on dialup, etc.).

Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:51 PM   #40

It is good to see some nice discussions about what can be done, I hope something good will result.
I will be checking every now and again to see how things are but I've had enough of the full time posting thing. As some have mentioned maybe it would have been better for me to just take some time off and say nothing. But alas hindsight is a brilliant thing. Actually I probably shouldn't even be replying now, but im a slow learner.
My comments were not suppose to be snobbish and I apologise if they appeared to be. I have always found it difficult to put what im thinking down in words.
I have had a great time on this forum and have learnt a massive amount, thanks again everyone.

Simon
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote