Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:01 PM   #41

See ya
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:09 PM   #42

It is good to see some nice discussions about what can be done, I hope something good will result.
I will be checking every now and again to see how things are but I've had enough of the full time posting thing. As some have mentioned maybe it would have been better for me to just take some time off and say nothing. But alas hindsight is a brilliant thing. Actually I probably shouldn't even be replying now, but im a slow learner.
My comments were not suppose to be snobbish and I apologise if they appeared to be. I have always found it difficult to put what im thinking down in words.
I have had a great time on this forum and have learnt a massive amount, thanks again everyone.

Simon

Hey its nice to see you checking in Monkey ... look forward to more of it! Awesome ideas ...its great when we have to put our heads together to become better! Teamwork makes the dream work!

Way to go Pana Team!
Goldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:09 PM   #43
Administrator

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
But alas hindsight is a brilliant thing.
If everyone that didn't like how things were going simply left, then the forums would never change. By posting how you feel, you've opened up the issues to debate so that others can make suggestions to make things better.

So, don't feel like you can'tcontinue to participate because of one post expressing your feelings.

You're part of the forum community here. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:40 PM   #44

I think treemonkey made some valid point's its worth a re read.

And Jimc suggest's we post our views.

This is a public forum BUT its become messy.

Newbies don't read the manual or wan't to learn digi techniques they want instant responce from the forum.

Ok too many images in topics yes I think so problem is one member suggested to start topic's and all send your images now his kind of topic gets out of hand. image bloat

We need guidlines.

Some stickies with
limit image posts
search the forum
read the manual
etc

OK new a TOPIC now don't attach more than 2 images and other posters unless good reason related to the post DONT add anymore.

We need some etiquette and common sense.

It may well make sense to ignore some newbies and or the ones
I just got a FZxx 1hr ago here is my first image ignore... it the noise will go away.

One post was from a person took a who took a rubbish shot
of son playing basket ball I gave advice nooner did too and good advice it was. no reply back of what they understood or a thanks the person would not take time to read the manual.

There is a core of members that are great won't name them but they make the forum... its being drowned out by noise.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:46 PM   #45

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Since the amount of picture posting has increased specifically for this brand could it be possible that we have a split in an area to post pictures and the other for technical questions and or information with tips specific to camera user. It sounds like this request is a bigger job than is necessary but the pictures posted here are to see what the respective Panasonic camera can do.

In the other section it really does not matter what camera took the picture. As long as it goes with the topic.

NickTrop started a great one with just, "Lets get to know each other".

Kenny Leong has the best idea but I am not sure a lot of users would take the time to do that and the bandwidth where the picture is posted as a link may not allow for anyone to view. Yet others find out that there is no remote linking either.
Thanks vn. The other option is that the forums website could automatically make thumbnails of whatever we upload, so that instead of the full image appearing in the threads, we see thumbnails...like 100x75 pixel images. This allows us a small preview of what the full pic is going to be. So if it looks interesting, we could then click on the thumbnail, so that we can load up the full size image (which is also on the forums hard drive...but just linked to the thumbnail).
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:48 PM   #46

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Thanks vn. The other option is that the forums website could automatically make thumbnails of whatever we upload, so that instead of the full image appearing in the threads, we see thumbnails...like 100x75 pixel images. This allows us a small preview of what the full pic is going to be. So if it looks interesting, we could then click on the thumbnail, so that we can load up the full size image (which is also on the forums hard drive...but just linked to the thumbnail).
I think I recommended this isa thread a while back. Some web development would have to be done to make it work, but it would be a fairly easy to do thing.

I don't know if Steve would be willing to have it done or not, but it would be good for the dial up users.

Some suggestions for the site (the way it is) are...

have one sticky that new users can go to when they first come here that explains some guidelines for posting pics. Not rules per say, but just guidelines... Like image size, and number of images per thread recommendations.

Have another sticky for new users that answer all the basic stuff that most new commers ask, and some helpfull links to basic knowledge type stuff.

I don't think we should make rules that are inforced upon people. That would make this site like all the rest. The reason this site is so great is the freedom that we have here. But if we just had the 2 above mentioned stickys, it would take away a lot of the repetative asking of basic questions and give the new commers a place to start.

No one can control what people post, but some basic friendly guidelines would be a big help. Personally, I don't mind helping people with any question. I learned in the military that... The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. And if someone does not want to answer a stupid question, then they simply can choose not to. There is no need to get mad and leave the forum because of it... Just let someone else answer it.

I do agree that people post too many picks per thread, and many times as big as they can make them. I am guilty of posting too many per thread sometimes. I try to keep mine at about 100k.

Any way... I think this is a great forum, and even though I have been busy lately and have not been as active as I use to be, I still check here at least once a day. I will continue to help others as they have helped me, and even though I have a short fuze somtimes, I think each and every one of you are great.

And even though I might chew someone a new arss hole in the middle of their forehead, I will turn right around and help that same person in a heart beat. Thats just the kind of guy I am...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:21 PM   #47

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
This is a public forum BUT its become messy.

Newbies don't read the manual or wan't to learn digi techniques they want instant responce from the forum....

... It may well make sense to ignore some newbies and or the ones
I just got a FZxx 1hr ago here is my first image ignore... it the noise will go away.

One post was from a person took a who took a rubbish shot
of son playing basket ball I gave advice nooner did too and good advice it was. no reply back of what they understood or a thanks the person would not take time to read the manual.

There is a core of members that are great won't name them but they make the forum... its being drowned out by noise.

Boyzo,your tone almost makes it seem you have a vendetta against "newbies". Were you not also a newbie once? Perhaps you were born with infinite knowledge of all things digital and photographic. Personally I find some of this tread fairly offensive. I consider myself a "newbie", if for no other reason then small number of my posts as well as only having my FZ3 for one month.

However, I do not believe that I have drowned out anyone with a flood of questions easily answered in the manual or with a multitude of pictures. Generic labels do far more harm then good. How about taking the time to really improve things? Create a post with links to the threads you feel are a must read for any new user of an FZ. I have no doubt that if done well it would quickly become a sticky.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:27 PM   #48

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=11391222:!: And no it has been posted here many times and is not a sticky. In fact it's on the page just below where you posted. Take it easy.:!::!:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:36 PM   #49

nooner wrote:
Quote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11391222:!: And no it has been posted here many times and is not a sticky. In fact it's on the page just below where you posted. Take it easy.:!::!:
Nooner, how is this link relevant to the content ofthis forum? That is what is being discussed here is it not? By the way, :!:is not required to make a point.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:51 PM   #50

nooner wrote:
[quote]http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=11391222:!: And no it has been posted here many times and is not a sticky. In fact it's on the page just below where you posted. Take it easy, quote]

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote