Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:56 PM   #51

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
boyzo wrote:
Quote:
This is a public forum BUT its become messy.

Newbies don't read the manual or wan't to learn digi techniques they want instant responce from the forum....

... It may well make sense to ignore some newbies and or the ones
I just got a FZxx 1hr ago here is my first image ignore... it the noise will go away.

One post was from a person took a who took a rubbish shot
of son playing basket ball I gave advice nooner did too and good advice it was. no reply back of what they understood or a thanks the person would not take time to read the manual.

There is a core of members that are great won't name them but they make the forum... its being drowned out by noise.

Boyzo, your tone almost makes it seem you have a vendetta against "newbies". Were you not also a newbie once? Perhaps you were born with infinite knowledge of all things digital and photographic. Personally I find some of this tread fairly offensive. I consider myself a "newbie", if for no other reason then small number of my posts as well as only having my FZ3 for one month.

However, I do not believe that I have drowned out anyone with a flood of questions easily answered in the manual or with a multitude of pictures. Generic labels do far more harm then good. How about taking the time to really improve things? Create a post with links to the threads you feel are a must read for any new user of an FZ. I have no doubt that if done well it would quickly become a sticky.

-Brett
1 Simple I do post things of interest

2 I never was a Newbie full stop.

3 I Read the manuals

4 I Don't ask stupid questions

5. Google hath a wealth of knowledge

6. Many topics here also have knowledge
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:58 PM   #52

:!::!::!::!::!::!::!:Brett I'm not trying to hassle you. I really could care less if you learn anything or not. You're here to stir things up and you may have more luck on another forum. Please look around for another place to be heard. Later:!::!::!::!::!::!:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:02 PM   #53

nooner wrote:
Quote:
:!::!::!::!::!::!::!:Brett I'm not trying to hassle you. I really could care less if you learn anything or not. You're here to stir things up and you may have more luck on another forum. Please look around for another place to be heard. Later:!::!::!::!::!::!:
So be it.
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:02 PM   #54

Yeah:!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!::!:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:17 PM   #55

Go aheeeeeeeaaaD.... make mahhH deeeaaaaaaYYYY!
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:33 PM   #56
Administrator

Healthy debate of issues can be a good thing. But, lets try to keep it civil and not start any flame wars.

Thanks.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:39 AM   #57

Ahem! ----Sorry to disturb you guys. I have a problem with a moon shot which I haven't seen with all the glorious moon shots posted from time to time. Will google or the manual help in this regard? I dare say no. I will have to get the views of the experienced people and for that purpose I have to post the pic also.

So, do I have the permission of the commision?:?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:30 AM   #58

Suggestions for sticky's:

1. Forum Guidelines/Posting Pictures
a. etiquette
b. picture posting quidelines
2. FAQs for the FZ-3,15,20
3. General FAQ's
a. My Pic is blurry? What's wrong?
b. My pics look (red, green, orange...)
whadda I do? (White balance...)
c. Accessory Recommendations...(converter lenses,
camera cases for each model...)
4. On-line Gallery (I started this on but I think it
would make a nice sticky?)
5. Essential links...
a. luminous landscapes
b. megapixel.net...
b. Kodak (...very nice on-line learning guide)
d. Panasonic (...though it isn't a particularly good site fer learnin')

Harjtt recommended these but I think it's a good idea. Although it would take up a bit of screen space on the 1st page, I think it would cut down a number of repetitive posts.

As far as newbie's go... That's a "relative" term. Just about everyone here qualifies as a newbie. About all I understand is the interrelationship between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Some "very basic" stuff about composition, and I try to keep abreast of "what's out there" in terms of tools and technology. That's why newbie questions never bother me, and I'll chime in where I feel qualified.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:30 AM   #59

Warning! ("Semi"? Rant...) That said (see above post) ^

... some people don't seem to know how or are too lazy to Google. I had a student in my "Project Management Methodologies" class e-mail me regarding her final project for the class (1/3 of the grade). Here's the project: "Make up some project (anything, I don'k care, as long as it qualifies as a "project" unique, temporary, specific outcome...), write a project plan that covers the 9 PM knowledge areas: scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, commuications, risk, procurement, integration. Bear in mind we spent 50 class hours on this... I passed out samples in class, and covered it thoroughly... This is due in a week...

Bink (<- sound of new e-mail coming in...) as I'm watching football, drinking beer (<- as is my Sunday birth-right as a male... along with belching, farting, and girl-watching all with impunity...)

"Nick... I'm having a panic attack! I don't know what to do or where to start. Is there any samples project plans available?" So.......... I Google "Sample Project Plan". And, 50 gazillion resources for sample project plans pop-up. Took ->quite literally<- five stinkin lousy SECONDS and slightly above zero effort. (Ask this chick where the game sites are, and I'm sure she can tell you. Or, the best IRCs, or where to download whatever music she likes...)

Being the nice guy that I am, and because it required zero effort, I cut and pasted the links into my reply. (I don't know what these kids would do when I went to school - no Internet! Had to spend your Sunday in the library sifting through card catalogues, pray the book you needed was there...)

Grrrrrrrrrrr.... (1/2 a grad off for laziness, and bugging me during the playoffs!) :G

For the love of God, GOOGLE sometimes! Now that that's off my chest, I'll still answer and easy to find answer (via Google) as a post. They're missing out on discovering some pretty 'mazing resources (... and why I have exactly one photography book in my library...) As someone who now teaches for a living, I am quite used to answering the same question 5000 X, that was already covered , that someone just asked, that is right in the book (or on a site, or in a hand-out...) etc.

And though sometimes it's annoying you can't lose sight of these three considerations...

1. The amount to learn seems overwhelming
2. The amount of resources available is overwhelming.
3. ... what is old hat or basic to you, are brand new concepts to them.

If you're going to jump into this - or any forum, to volunteer your expertise, you must keep 1, 2, and 3 always in mind. -> It is a high honor, and privledge <- to teach. It is an honor to have someone seek your advice. That is why Socrates refused to accept payment for doing it, and lived an empoverished lifestyle... It does, however, sometimes require patience.

... that said, there's never any excuse for pure laziness.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:39 AM   #60

OMG! Nick that was NOT a rant. Semi or otherwise. It was just an example of the situations when a newbie will HAVE to post a photograph , not for the purpose of sharing but for getting advice. Sorry it sounded otherwise.:sad:
wise is offline   Reply With Quote