Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:49 PM   #1

I just got my FZ20 a couple of days ago and have yet to take a good picture. Granted, they've been either at dusk or at night, but the amount of noise in the picture is staggering. A simple black backdrop never fails to turn into a riot of dark blues and reds.

Am I not doing something right? Or did I just get the wrong camera? :-?
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:01 AM   #2

Deuce

Have you changed the ISO setting for the FZ ? Change it to 80 or 100 and then retake the the pictures - if the cameras set to ISO 400 then expect to see a lot of noise in a low light night shot.

Here's a shot I took while in Portland Oregon - ISo is set to 50, f2.8 @ 1/4 with my FZ10. Hope that helps.

Harj

Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:22 AM   #3

the FZ20 is a bit noisier than the FZ10, but liek HarjTT said, if you keep the ISO at 80 or 100, you should be okay. i've taken some night shots with my FZ20 that came out a bit noisy, but no worse than the grain in the film would have been with 200 ASA film in my 35mm SLR. A quick pass through some noise reduction software helps a lot too. Best bet, if you're concerned about noise, is to set the ISO as low as you can, and use a tripod for those low-light shots.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:25 AM   #4

It's not the camera.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:56 PM   #5

Any suggestions on noise removal software?
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:17 PM   #6

Take a look at these.
http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise.htm
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:33 PM   #7

If it makes you feel better, this is a review of the FZ-20 that graphs its noise levels against other cameras in its class using a software tool. It is 100% objective. Check out the 3rd graph. It has insignificantly higher noise than other cameras in its price range, a small price to pay for the zoom lens capabilities with IS in most user's opinion.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...Z20IMATEST.HTM

That said, if you shoot often in low-light situations without a flash, your best be is probably a DSLR.

Some popular noise reduction tools are Neat Image and Noise Ninja. Google "noise reduction software" and you will find others.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:54 AM   #8

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
If it makes you feel better, this is a review of the FZ-20 that graphs its noise levels against other cameras in its class using a software tool. It is 100% objective. Check out the 3rd graph. It has insignificantly higher noise than other cameras in its price range, a small price to pay for the zoom lens capabilities with IS in most user's opinion.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...Z20IMATEST.HTM

That said, if you shoot often in low-light situations without a flash, your best be is probably a DSLR.

Some popular noise reduction tools are Neat Image and Noise Ninja. Google "noise reduction software" and you will find others.
VERY cool site NICK
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:30 AM   #9

Thanks Nick

I had not yet seen the Imagingresource review of FZ20 yet.

Great

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:28 PM   #10

your problem is "I just got my FZ20 a couple of days ago" and it can be fixed by playing with it more.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote