Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:22 AM   #1

To start off I must tell you a story (and I'll try to make it as short as I can)

After getting out of the army (1983 - 1989), I was in pretty good shape. I could do 70 push-ups in 2 minutes, 70 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and run 2 miles in 14 minutes flat. I passed the army's Master Fitness Training Program, and for the last 3 years that I served I was the Company Fitness Trainer for my unit. I even started a program for people who had trouble meeting the minimum phisical standards with a 99% success rate.

Anyway...

I stayed in good shape after getting out by running 5 miles every other day, and doing muscular endurance training on the other days. I maintained my wieght (165 lbs.), and could pretty much eat anything I wanted.

A couple years later... Tragidy struck.

I was broad sided by a drunk driver on my way home from work one night. He hit me doing about 50 to 70 mph. The impact was enough to roll my car side over side and back onto it's wheels. To this day I do not remember the impact, and only parts of the scene, and up until I woke up after being operated on.

I had a collapsed left lung, a ruptured splene, ruptured diaphram, my stomach went through my diaphram and was in my chest cavity, 2 partially dislocated shoulders, and minor punture wounds from jagged metal. I had no head trauma, which shocked the doctors. They told me that I must have grabbed the wheel with enough upper body stregth to prevent my head from hitting anything (which would explain the 2 partially dislocated shoulders and the fact the the steering wheel was bent upward past the where the windshield use to be), and if I did not have the upper body strenght that I did... I would have been killed on impact.

Sorry... Anyway...

I was told not to work out or do any type of excersize for a year. During that year I got lazy and never got back into working out. I put on about 35 lbs. since, and now I get out of breath just running up the stairs.

I feel that I can get back into as good a shape as I was back then, My doctor aggrees, and says that excercise would be the best thing for me. I saw this peice of equipment on TV and was wondering if anyone knew of it. It's called the "Total Gym" and to me it looks like something you could do a complete workout on just using your own body weight.

I know this has nothing to do with Panasonic, but I would like some feedback... And sorry about the long story...

bobc

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2

bobc wrote:
Quote:
It's called the "Total Gym" and to me it looks like something you could do a complete workout on just using your own body weight.
The total gym is supposed to be okay piece of equipment. However, I would personally join an LA Fitness, or other good gym in the area. The home stuff just doesn't compare to what you get in a gym, plus there's treadmills, classes etc. I go to an LA Fitness and love it. Prices are reasonable... I even got pretty decent at Yoga (don't knock it!) before it became trendy.

My advice? You can't beat a good gym. An added incentive to go? (This is awful...) some young (and not so young) shapely ladies who wander by for a visual treat via a discrete tasteful glance (as opposed to a leer...)

... and it's a good reason to get out of the house, away from the computer, and socialize.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
The total gym is supposed to be okay piece of equipment. However, I would personally join an LA Fitness, or other good gym in the area. The home stuff just doesn't compare to what you get in a gym, plus there's treadmills, classes etc. I go to an LA Fitness and love it. Prices are reasonable... I even got pretty decent at Yoga (don't knock it!) before it became trendy.

My advice? You can't beat a good gym. An added incentive to go? (This is awful...) some young (and not so young) shapely ladies who wander by for a visual treat via a discrete tasteful glance (as opposed to a leer...)

... and it's a good reason to get out of the house, away from the computer, and socialize.
Nick... Thanks... And yoga is a great workout for both body and mind. I used to instruct aerobics in the army. All the men soldiers where laughing about it until I gave them their first class. They did'nt think it was funny at all after that...:-)

Tread mills are not bad, but it's not the same as running, and with my life style (along with the lack of motivation to get started). I think something that is right there staring me in the face every day that I can just hop on and get a work out would be better for right now.

Once I get in enough shape as to not embarris myself in public, I may lean towards a fitness center to maintain myfitness level, but getting there is the hard part.

I probably have enough knowledge to be a personal fitness trainer, and looking at this peice of equipment, I can see that one could get a complete workout with it. Sure I could not bulk up on it, but I wnat to train for endurace, not strenght.

Thanks m8t.

bobc
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4

Man bobc what a story... I'm sure glad you're here with us to have some photo fun. Anyway I don't know about that machine but I know what you mean about in home exercise. Probably anything will work if you've got the motivation. It sounds like you do, so get with it. Maybe Nick and I can act as your Drill instructors. Whatcha think?:shock::shock::shock::evil::idea::idea:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5

Don't know anything about the total gym equipment but I have bought several other pieces of exercise equipment and they all ended up gathering dust. Could never motivate myself enough to workout at home.

Best thing I did was join a local well equipped gym, with certified trainers to putsafe routines together of you that gradually build up on what you can do. And working out with a group of like minded individuals really helps a lot.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6

Bobc,

I have had a Total Gym for 4-5 years. It's the best piece of exercise equipment I've ever owned. I had a Nortic Track for several years and it was good for cardio-vascular but not total body. I have joined gyms off and on for 10 years. Why do I like the Total Gym? It is set up in the spare room the same room as my computer. I can jump on it anytime I want with out having to set it up. It stretches muscles at the same time it builds strength. There are a large number of combo workouts I can do to work the entire body. It easily adjusts to increase or decrease difficulty depending on my energy at the time.
As with any home equipment, it won't do you any good unless you use it. For me it's easier to jump on the T-Gym then to make the time to go to the Gym.
I am no germ-o-phobe but did you see Dateline's or 48 hours' report on all the nasty bacteria (fecal-form ecoli, Yipes! I know where that comes from) and other nasty junk in Gyms that comes from hundreds of people using the same equipment over and over before YOU get to it. No thanks. I sweatlike a pig anyway so I can imagine all the stuff other people are leaving behind.
I can't tell you what will work for you. I am just saying that the Total Gym I bought for myself has worked for me. I am going to be 55 next month. I still play softball and Volleyball every season. I know that the Total Gym has helped me stay in shape for that. What ever you decide. Do it! I wish you the best of luck and the will to persevere.

smac

Oh, on an unrelated topic. Has my Avatar changed to the Bald Eagle. I changed it yesterday morning and I am still seeing the other hawk. Weird Nooner changes his Avatar six times a day and I can't get mine to change at all. Sorry, Good luck with the excersie.

Gadzooks Nooer! Put some clothes on.:shock:
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:49 PM   #7

Your avatar has changed. Go to browser tools and clear the cache and you'll see your new one. Sorry about the clothes...It's Sunday and all I'm goin' do is watch playoff football so why get dressed. Plus i wanted to give bobc something work towards:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::O
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:53 PM   #8

smac wrote:
Quote:
Bobc,

I have had a Total Gym for 4-5 years. It's the best piece of exercise equipment I've ever owned. I had a Nortic Track for several years and it was good for cardio-vascular but not total body. I have joined gyms off and on for 10 years. Why do I like the Total Gym? It is set up in the spare room the same room as my computer. I can jump on it anytime I want with out having to set it up. It stretches muscles at the same time it builds strength. There are a large number of combo workouts I can do to work the entire body. It easily adjusts to increase or decrease difficulty depending on my energy at the time.
As with any home equipment, it won't do you any good unless you use it. For me it's easier to jump on the T-Gym then to make the time to go to the Gym.
I am no germ-o-phobe but did you see Dateline's or 48 hours' report on all the nasty bacteria (fecal-form ecoli, Yipes! I know where that comes from) and other nasty junk in Gyms that comes from hundreds of people using the same equipment over and over before YOU get to it. No thanks. I sweatlike a pig anyway so I can imagine all the stuff other people are leaving behind.
I can't tell you what will work for you. I am just saying that the Total Gym I bought for myself has worked for me. I am going to be 55 next month. I still play softball and Volleyball every season. I know that the Total Gym has helped me stay in shape for that. What ever you decide. Do it! I wish you the best of luck and the will to persevere.

smac

Oh, on an unrelated topic. Has my Avatar changed to the Bald Eagle. I changed it yesterday morning and I am still seeing the other hawk. Weird Nooner changes his Avatar six times a day and I can't get mine to change at all. Sorry, Good luck with the excersie.

Gadzooks Nooer! Put some clothes on.:shock:
Thanks smac. I think I'm gonna give it a try. What model do you have?

I am leaning toward the 1700. It has the Pilates bar and goes for about 350 bucks.

What do you think?

bobc
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:56 PM   #9

nooner wrote:
Quote:
\ Plus i wanted to give bobc something work towards:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::O
Hmmm, are you sure that's the direction he should go??

I'll try clearing the cache, thanks.
Enjoy your:O..... Foot Ball:O..... :OI'm going out to take some pictures.
Later,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:45 PM   #10

the best advice I can give you is to walk in the morning with an empty stomach and if you can handle it take some coffee and aspirin or the famous ECA stack (beware though of that stack)..like I said...empty stomach.

Buy a heart rate monitor and keep your heart rate in the target heart rate zone 2. If you do this you are burning 85% of that with fat, and if you are very very out of shape start in zone 1 for a while and work up to zone 2.

here is a link to figure out what your target heart rate should be.

http://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitn...rate_zones.asp

http://www.sarkproducts.com/maximum_heart_rate.htm

http://www.sarkproducts.com/targetzonecalculator.htm

let me know if you have any other questions....I used to be a pro trainer for celebrities and know somewhat a lot when it comes down to getting in shape or physical therapy...and getting leaner.

and by the way...get over the sad story...that is nothing, once I slept with a really chunky girl and I almost died when she rolled over....just kidding,...incredible story and I am glad you are getting back to a healthy life and wish you the best, my best friend got killed by a drunk driver in high school....its really really sad
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote