Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:43 PM   #1

I thought I might throw this out there...

Perhaps I don't have the most critical eye... But I have never seen such consistently amazing photographs - of all variety (...except nudes, perhaps) as I have on this forum. Perhaps I'm just partial... in fact, I'm sure I am. Nature photographs, macros, landscapes, etc.

What if someone (like myself...) put up a stock photography site for the posters here? Would there be any interest? Perhaps this is naive, but sometimes naivity can be an asset. Would anyone be interested in something like this? Bear in mind, I know nothing about the stock photography (that's what books are for...) but I have seen some work on those sites, and many here rival photos I've seen on pro sites. To my eye, they just do.

At this point it's just a curiosity, a ??? if you will to run up a flag pole. Is this something anyone intends to get rich off of? Nah! Just a way to promote your work, provide another excuse to take photos, and perhaps in the best case scenario provide enough bling to get you a coke.

Any thoughts? Am I being hoplessly naive? Like I said, just running it up the proverbial flagpole.

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:46 PM   #2

I'd be interested. Talk about naive I don't know what it would take to do. But since you ran it up the flag pole it got my attention.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:57 PM   #3

Sorry nick but I just don't see it. Only 2 or 3 out of 10 are great and 1 out of 50 is amazing and 1 out of 100 just stunning, and please understand I am not trying to be negative just realistic.

If you really want to see incredible pictures go to

deviantart.com

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:26 PM   #4

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
Sorry nick but I just don't see it. Only 2 or 3 out of 10 are great and 1 out of 50 is amazing and 1 out of 100 just stunning, and please understand I am not trying to be negative just realistic.

If you really want to see incredible pictures go to

deviantart.com
N-n-n-no... This is the type of feedback I'm interested in. But to your point, I have a deviant art account. And, yes, there's lots of ->great<- photos and digital art but also lots of ->real<- garbage too (sorry to say).

Someone sent me a link to a company (...have to look for it) where anyone can post a photo, and if it's used in an ad, website, whatever... they pay a royalty. Couple things about this site:

1. They didn't really have that many photos
2. They were okay... ranging from great to nothin' special

Really, something like that is what I had in mind. Except it would be open by invitation, rather than to the general public.

In the case of both sites, work gets lost in the crowd. I also don't think the work has to be "spectacular" necessarily to sell.

Like I said, just a thought. Perhaps an overreaction to some photos I've seen here over the last couple days. Thanks for being a sounding board.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:29 PM   #5

Nick,

I don't know what you mean by stock photography...:?

Sorry.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:32 PM   #6

ok,,,now I understand you nick....great point and good idea. You are right, the pics don't have to be great in order for somebody to use it and get royalty. keep me posted and go get that link.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:03 PM   #7

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by stock photography...:?
Bob, stock photography is this...

Let's say you're doing an ad or a website, or whatever, and you need a picture of an X. Let's say it's an eagle in flight.

You have two options. You can hire a photographer to take the shot ($$$$). Or you can get a "stock photography" catalog that are sorted by various categories. If you see a photo you like, you pay a royalty fee to the owner for this use of the photo. You can also sell the rights outright of the photo to the buyer so no one else can use that photo.

The same applies to illustrations. The link (below) will give you an idea.

Resajune wrote:
Quote:
ok,,,now I understand you nick....great point and good idea. You are right, the pics don't have to be great in order for somebody to use it and get royalty. keep me posted and go get that link.
Okay, (FOUND IT!) here's the link. This one's a little different. Their business model seems to be you sign up for an account and have access to the any photo without a royalty. But, anyone can post.

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?cat=13

I think you will agree...

1. The photos ain't "all that"...
2. There aren't really that many photos

I was thinking of something like this... except perhaps a screen of some sort so that it contains only the best of the best, and "perhaps" fewer photos...

Give it a look!

(Now, back to watching the hometown guys [Eagles] crush the [literally] "defenseless" Vikings...:G)
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:26 PM   #8

sounds like a neat idea to me, Nick... i'd be interested too! don't have a ton of photos in my digital collection yet, but once the weather gets nicer (in about 4 months! ) i plan to get out and get a lot more shots. i'll certainly be taking whatever opportunities i can in the interim to get some good shots, but the best images from this part of the country are't usually to be had during the gray, dreary winter months... anyway, if you do get a site like that up and running, i'd love to submit shots (as i get good ones)for the collection...

also, you're right about the "quality" of the shots. photography is like any other art form... one man's meat, and all that. no matter how good (or not) a shot is, there will be those to whom it appeals, and those who think it's a stinker. those who like it may well pay a royalty to use it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:29 PM   #9

you are right nick...those pics really suck on that website and most of our pics are way better.....we should start our own site..and dedicate a link just for me and shots of my beautiful body....
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:51 PM   #10

Nice idea Nick do you have the time to do it.

www.pbase.com is a very popular gallery btw.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote