Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:47 PM   #1

The FZ1 only goes down to f8
We all know aperture controlls depth of field ... yes
Well in 35mm film slr terms FZ1 is not the same, its because
the sensor is smaller than 36 x 34 mm film format.

it means say at an equiv zoom for slr and FZ1 of 100mm
focal lenght the FZ1 at f4 will have a lot more depth of field than the slr at f4.

The reason f8 is the smallest on the FZ1 is that apertures smaller than f8 ie f16 would cause diffraction and lower resolution hence less sharp pics.

Its always been my feeling that you need to use a very high zoom ie stay well back from the subject as well a large aperture to get the background well out of focus....

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:58 PM   #2

There is also the opinionthat4 and 4 (f/4 and 4x zoom with sufficient light) are thesweet spot for the Panasonic/Leica system. That may be true for any ultra zoom digicam.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:38 PM   #3

Another tool that I havent had much opportunity to explore is the old neutral density filter, which is basically a gray filter that reduces the light coming into the camera to let you shoot at higher aperture settings (by "higher" I mean smaller aperture size...) I suspect it will also help reduces blown highlights outdoors. I purchased a +4 and a +8. The 8 is excessive. 4 is more of a standard. They're cheap, about $15 apiece. Mine are Hoyas.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:25 PM   #4

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
There is also the opinion that 4 and 4 (f/4 and 4x zoom with sufficient light) are the sweet spot for the Panasonic/Leica system. That may be true for any ultra zoom digicam.
yes F4 sweet spot new that.
4 x zoom no did not know that sweet spot

thanks for that tip Fred a gem, zooms today are better than ever remember Tamron 80 - 200 mmm
Todays zooms ars truer less PC an BArrel dist.

The point am trying to make the FZ1 tends to have too much depth of field even at wide apertures.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:40 PM   #5

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Another tool that I havent had much opportunity to explore is the old neutral density filter, which is basically a gray filter that reduces the light coming into the camera to let you shoot at higher aperture settings (by "higher" I mean smaller aperture size...) I suspect it will also help reduces blown highlights outdoors. I purchased a +4 and a +8. The 8 is excessive. 4 is more of a standard. They're cheap, about $15 apiece. Mine are Hoyas.
Not sure that would help ... blown highlights is slight overexposure. its a compromise ... its a CCD thing my canon A40 tends to block highlights.
Neutral would force a larger aperture for given light and shutter speed .... critical thing is exposure and here bracket + 2/3 - 2/3 .
Am I on your wavelength Nick....
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:44 PM   #6

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
There is also the opinion that 4 and 4 (f/4 and 4x zoom with sufficient light) are the sweet spot for the Panasonic/Leica system. That may be true for any ultra zoom digicam.
here we have f2.8 @ 1/800 zoom 100mm
as you can see to much depth of field.

You would need to go back further and set zoom to 200mm + to start to blurr the background ... my guess.

Attached Images