Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:15 AM   #11

I've shot alot of wrestling shots indoors no flash, with a oly c740 switched to a fz-20.
I am way happier with FZ its more adaptable..can switch on the fly, the oly was too cumbersome in menus...

ISo 400 shutter 1/100- 1/125 , f 2.8 shots are very dark obviously lighten up in PS use neat image to clean up noise. You can also get some shots with lower iso and shutter if you think out a match..when someone is working for a pin the shot can be as exciting as that hip toss..lol check out my photos at http://www.baldwinsvillewrestling.info go to scoreboard and click on photos..let me know what you think
toneloc1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:19 PM   #12

Looks like the WB is off. Did you set manually with a white card or use something else. Good job, but as you see 400ISO will not allow enough shutter speed to aviod blur. I think if you used curves in PS you could get liven them up as they still look murky. Actually the shots with the Oly have a better WB IMHO.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:50 AM   #13

I didnt set the WB I used the auto setting but I am now setting it manually. I tried curves in PS but shots looked weird using s-curve I just used the auto color and auto balance which I know lol is a no-no. I now use levels and push it in save and use neat image, then bring back in PS and unsharpen mask then resize. The lighting in that gym is atrocious. The other factor is J-album which I use to put the pictures up with uses its own compression and resizing methods. I agree the Oly pics seem brighter but the action was way to blurred. I found a link here in this forum on a tip in improving shots after neat image using a layer adjustment and that seems to help out. The originals uncompressed and with a little more effort in PS look alot better but because of size constraints i had to compromise for the web. These shots were better check them out an let me know I appreciate your opinion http://toneloc.photosite.com/toneloc1958/sports/?page=1
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:06 AM   #14

They look good.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:21 AM   #15

Thanks..Im just a Dad taking sport pictures of my kid and loving the hobby. I was just playing around with curves in PS based on your suggestion and I was applying it wrong..lol i was using it after i used auto color, I just tried it on a few indoor track photos before any other retouching and it does look alot better..thanks for the tip..:-)
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:49 AM   #16

toneloc1958 wrote:
Quote:
ISo 400 shutter 1/100- 1/125 , f 2.8 shots are very dark obviously lighten up in PS use neat image to clean up noise. You can also get some shots with lower iso and shutter if you think out a match.
I agree with toneloc. These are the settings I would try first. I would expect to have the shots be dark, and have to lighten them up in post, and clean up the noise.

Really, what I do now - and this is where digital really has it all over film, is I just take a bunch of test shots depending on circumstance and setting, and stick with the one that works best. Don't worry if something comes out blurry. Delete it, try a different setting. A liftime of using film has us overly concerned about spoiled shots - we're brainwashed and (at least I do) fail to take advantage of digital's biggest advantage over film. Take 10, 20, 50, 100 shots before the match, and during the match. Adjust setting for best results, delete the bad ones.

The faster the shutter speed, the less chance for motion blur, but the darker the pictures will be. The faster the ISO, the less light your camera needs but you will be dealing with noise... etc. A setting that may be great for one shot... like your wrestler standing still before the match, you might get away with a slower shutter speed (say 1/25), lower ISO, less noise, etc. An action shot would need 1/125 and a 400 ISO or it would be dark and/or blurry.

Unless there are perfect conditions - a nice bright sunny day outdoors (though there's issues with that too), you're always fighting the absence of ample light, and how to compensate for best results.

Guess all I'm saying is take a lot of shots, try different settings, delete the bad ones? Some of us think this is "fun". :G

- really, the best camera for this circumstance as far as shooting with available light is a DSLR. But then again, you would be paying a lot (like $1500 or so?) just for the zoom lens with IS that comes with this camera. So you could pay for that or just use its ~ 50 mm prime lens and miss out on the close-up zoom shots but have a properly exposed picture with acceptable noise at ISO 1000.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:24 AM   #17

I agree with what most everyone else says exept I would shoot in shutter priority mode instead of manual. In manual your EVF will get pretty dark . If you shoot in S mode its gonna automatically push the camera to 2.8 any way because of the low light but in S mode the EVF doesnt dim down as bad. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!!
Dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:42 AM   #18

Yep its sweet just buy a big sd card shoot like crazy, experiment and have fun. I use S mode , shoot lots.. fix later.....
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:45 AM   #19

Don't know if this applies for you or not - but if you do use a flash and are shooting a lot of pics - - it might sooner or later prove to be a little inconsiderate to the wrestlers - especially if it gets distracting after a while :?- I know this holds true for Basketball games - probably less critical for wrestling - but - agin - if youre shooting over 100 pics with flash - just something to consider
sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:37 PM   #20

I really appreciate all of the helpful advice from everyone! Fortunately, I do have the opportunitiy between matches to play around with settings, which I did at the tournament last weekend. I just didn' t come up with the right combinations.

I'm wondering, sincethis situation seems like less than ideal shooting conditions for the FZ20 AND I'm a new owner if maybe I should stick to my Oly IS3. I'm sure you experienced guys would get the best shots possible. I will definitely have it with me and will experiment. Who knows, by the second day I might have it right! I just wish I had a way to view them when I'm out of town (I don't have a laptop). Some of the pics I took last weekend looked clear on the camera, but weren't.
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote