Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:50 PM   #21

It's a tough shot. Maybe try the zoom feature of reviewing on the FZ. It may help to evaluate your pics.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:15 PM   #22

Absolutely, I dont use a flash..the last thing I want to do is interfere with the competitors. Most of the kids I take photos of are just thrilled to have a photo of themselves participating in their sport. So for me its a symbiotic relationship, I get to practice photography and the participants enjoy the results. My skill level is amatuer at best and as I progress I hope to improve my equipment but learning to squeeze as much as i can out of what I have will certainly make me appreciate a DSLR when I finally get there.
I am going to learn to drive my chevy first before I get a corvette...lol
NickTrop is absolutely correct A DSLR is the proper way to go but These FZ's are wicked fun...
toneloc1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:07 PM   #23

toneloc1958 wrote:
Quote:
I dont use a flash..the last thing I want to do is interfere with the competitors.
... then again, if an opponent has your wrestler (son, daughter, what have you) in that inescapable figure-four leg lock, that's the perfect time to take a nice close in flash shot - no zoom.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:44 PM   #24

Ref: Wrestling picture (embedded) OK, what were your settings for this picture? I have the same problem, only with dance. All of my pictures came out blurry..in every mode and on every setting. I was so disappointed! I know I need to learn the camera, but from what I am hearing the indoor gym action shots may be difficult to capture, yes? I am a NOVICE, but I tried everything, including burst/panning. I think this picture is wonderful and I would be thrilled to have the same result. Were you zoomed? Thanks for any help...
MissMelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:18 AM   #25

I use ISO 400, shutter 1/100 or less, f 2.8, as nooner suggested set wb with whitecard.( I use my white sneaker lol).shoot in burst mode, use curves in ps then neatimage to smooth out noise.Blur is prolly low shutter speed keep bumping it up ,shot will be dark but lighten up later.Just bought "The Photoshop cs Book for digital photographers" on Amazon. Awesome tips on noise removal, highlights, shadows...You can shoot lower iso and shutter ..wait for slowdown in action and burst shoot. I shoot about 120 shots keep about 15 of which maybe 5 are real decent. Love the FZ just got to keep shootin'
Attached Images

toneloc1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:11 PM   #26

It's me again. Still experimenting with the settings for my wrestling pics. The lighting in the various gyms is so different. I have regionals this weekend and state next weekend, HOPEFULLY. If I'm close enough to be able to take advantage of my Sunpak 383, would someone be kind enough to help me with the settings, both on the camera and the flash? THANKS, Sandy
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:28 PM   #27

I appreciate everyone's advice regarding wrestling photos. I have 4 gymnasts , so it's similar action in similar light. Using your advice I played around with taking photos of my oldest doing handstands and cartwheels in our living room (similar light to the gym) just now, and got great results using the flash and shutter speed of 1/125. Burst mode was always blurry, and the manual says flash and burst don't work at the same time, so I guess I'll have to stick with using a flash and fast shutter speed -- or convince them to hold their meets outdoors! I'm very much a novice at this, but having lots of fun learning.
gilberttribe is offline   Reply With Quote