Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:38 PM   #1

Okay, here's my second question on the forum. I spent two days at my son's wrestling tournament experimenting with my settings on my FZ20. PLEASE help me here. I have all week to get this rightbefore next weekend's tournament. The zoom length varies, depending on the mat he's on. Obviously, there's alot of movement. The lighting is typical gym lighting. I'm hoping to have this perfected before regionals and state next month. What do you experienced guys suggest? I have the 383 flash and will use it if that would result in the best pics. However, I have to videotype some of the matches also so I'd rather not have the flash attached if I don't have to. Remember I'm a NEW owner so walk me through it carefully. Thanks!
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:43 PM   #2

regarding the flash, how far are the mats from where you'll be? if it's over about 30-35 feet, don't bother with the flash... it won't reach that faranyway.

the biggest question is the lighting.. is it incandescent, flourescent, or halogen? you may need to adjust the white balance to compensate. standard incandescent bulbs can impart a yellowish cast, but i think the FZ20 compensates for that with the auto setting. halogen lighting is whiter than the other two, though, and the FZ20 has a special white balance setting for that which you may need to use.

what zoom setting to use obviously depends on distance and how "close" you want the image to be. as for the exposure, if you want to have much chance of stopping the action, you'll probably need a minimum shutter speed of about 1/125. the question is whether there's enough light for a proper exposure at 1/125 in the gym. can you get into the gym beforehand to try various settings? if so, set your camera to "S" mode, set the speed to 1/125, and try some shots to see how they come out. if they're underexposed, even at the widest aperture, you'll simply need more light, or aslower shutter (which may cause blurry pictures).if the exposure is okay at 1/125, youcan either leave it as-is, orbump up the speed to freeze the action even better, or step down the aperture some to give you more depth of field.

good luck!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:15 PM   #3

Take a white card and set WB manually. Manual mode. F2.8, ISO 400, shutter 1/125 or more. Plan on post processing. You won't be able to see much thru the LCD or EVF. Also you might try burst and panning. Shoot a bunch.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:21 PM   #4

with out the flash NOONER is right a 100% good luck
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:21 PM   #5

A Sunpak 383 will reach to 60 feet (more if you use a zoom flash head or some sort of flash add-on).
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:24 PM   #6

You can also bump the ISO up to get more shutter speed if you need it. Also use burst mode, and take bursts of shots. Your more likely to get at least 1 good shot for each burst of say 3 per burst.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:25 PM   #7

I just looked at my pictures with my reader. I have a bunch of blurry pics. I thought I had some sharp ones but when I put them onmy computerI realized I had very few good ones. Fortunately, I was just experimenting but still, I wish some of them would have turned out. As for the zoom, it depends on what mat he's on. I prefer to not be on the floor. The ones that I took that were the closest were probably within 30-35ft. Almost any movement was blurry. Since I tried a variety of settings I thought I would get one right. I know high school gym lighting can be tricky. Would my Sunpak 383 flash help? I also had it on the sports mode setting sometimes. I guess I expected the closer ones to turn out.
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:41 PM   #8

The less zoom the better. More light less blur. Stick to manual settings. Take as many as possible and hope for a few. ISO 400 is really not enough for this situation.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:50 PM   #9

here's a link to some photo's of a basketball came it shows the exif on the pics ...the photographer is using a canon 1d..check out the link i think the pics will help you out..
http://www.pbase.com/goldengaelsphotos/basketball
p.s while your there check out my gallery and sign my guess book...www.pbase.com/jazzmaster221
good luck
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:36 AM   #10

The shots there use ISO 1250 which you cannot reach with the FZ so I don't think they'll help you since the best you'll get is ISO 400. You'd need an dslr to get those kind of values.