Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:35 PM   #1

Well some of you may have seen me around here and some may not. I don't share my pics, but that may soon change. Enough of this, down to business.

We've had a huge influx of people here as the camera gets more and more popular. This is fabulous and I love it. I'm going to keep this brief, so as a result of this I recommend some changes. In no particular order:

1. Insist others use the search.
2. Don't tell everyone their photo is awesome unless it is. There is some amazing talent here but this isn't ego-rubbing central so say it like it is.
3. We need to get some stickies going and a LOT of stickies so we have someplace easy to point to. There are some threads that everyone must see.

That's all I can think of for now. Tell me what you think and add your own.

**ADDED**

4. Warnings for large pictures for dial-up users and those with limited bandwidth.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:12 AM   #2

Short, sweet and to the point. Your suggestions have been brought up by others and obviously get lost in the sea of posts here.

I agree wholeheartedly.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:34 AM   #3

...agree. How does one go about making a thread a sticky? I thought the moderators make those decisions.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4

agree

Well; Less image postings of one and the same subjectin one and the same topic may be added to the list. (allright, unless we're talking the true hotshots).

GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:57 PM   #5

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
Well some of you may have seen me around here and some may not. I don't share my pics, but that may soon change. Enough of this, down to business.

We've had a huge influx of people here as the camera gets more and more popular. This is fabulous and I love it. I'm going to keep this brief, so as a result of this I recommend some changes. In no particular order:

1. Insist others use the search.
2. Don't tell everyone their photo is awesome unless it is. There is some amazing talent here but this isn't ego-rubbing central so say it like it is.
3. We need to get some stickies going and a LOT of stickies so we have someplace easy to point to. There are some threads that everyone must see.

That's all I can think of for now. Tell me what you think and add your own.
I don't want to start, and I'm not going to participate in, a shouting match. That said, I think what you are asking for, though reasonable in some cases, is near impossible.. At the very least, policing it would be a full time job for the moderators and I'm sure they have other lives beyond these forums.

My particular take on this forum and others is that I think it's great.. A lot of good ideas, some not so good. I like the fact that there's a lot to choose from. It keeps things active. There are a lot of good photos, some not so good. When I post my own photos, I welcome ALL comments and wouldn't presume to tell people how they should respond. I can agree or disagree with them.. Simple :G.

That's not all to say I don't think your ideas are any good. I would say though that if there's a thread you think should be seen by everybody, suggest to the moderators that they move that thread to the front of the list, like the filter thread. That would go a long way, I think, towards your suggestion that everyone use the search.

Just my 2cents..

Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:34 PM   #6

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
...agree. How does one go about making a thread a sticky? I thought the moderators make those decisions.
Basically I think we need a moderator for this forum. Someone with a LOT of experience with these cameras, someone who knows a lot and posts a lot. That said, I'm certainly out, so who would make the best mod?

What I say is not impossible but rather a change in how the heavy posters deal with things here. We need to set some groundrules for ourselves. I'm not saying mods should be used to enforce these "rules" but rather the members here restrict themselves from the inside out.

This is a fabulous forum, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:38 PM   #7

I nominate Nick for moderator, he's the man! :G
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:50 PM   #8

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:

Toward that goal, It might be useful if some guidelines were posted. One forum that comes to mind that has done that is the weekly photo challange forum. It seems to work pretty well.

While we're making suggestions on how to improve the forum experience, it would be nice if the page break of the longer threads were at 10 instead of 20. It would make things a lot faster for us dialup users. I don't know if it's possible but it would certainly improve things for me..

Additional 2 cents
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:05 PM   #9

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:

Toward that goal, It might be useful if some guidelines were posted. One forum that comes to mind that has done that is the weekly photo challange forum. It seems to work pretty well.

While we're making suggestions on how to improve the forum experience, it would be nice if the page break of the longer threads were at 10 instead of 20. It would make things a lot faster for us dialup users. I don't know if it's possible but it would certainly improve things for me..

Additional 2 cents
:G
Guidlines yes could help...
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:09 PM   #10

Just have the steves digicams forum site automatically convert uploaded images to thumbnails (100x75 pixels for example). In this way, everybody can see roughly what the pic is going to be, and so they can click on the thumbnail if they want to see the full pic. All images are stored on the steves digicams website, but just have thumbnail links. This might make things more efficient. I would rather see thumbnail links than just plain old text links. But of course..text links would be the most efficient for bandwidth.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote