Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:46 AM   #1

Well it's back to the birds. It was sunny and nice today so off to the refuge I went. I saw this same juvenile Rad Tail hawk in the same tree. So, of course I took a few pictures. He is facing the opposite direction than the last time I took his picture. I guess this is his better side.

smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:09 AM   #2

man that's sharp ..what f stop and apeture are you using...it's been over cast here and in bakersfield.. i found a flock of hawks on this one back road i travel must be hundreds of them hanging out on this road but it has been overcast and foggy in the area just east of taft..so i'm wondering if that's the cause of my blah kinda shots ...check out my pics at wwww.pbase.com/jazzmaster221
i have a hawks gallery if you could check out that gallery and leave me a few tips i'd be greatful..btw whats the trick to shooting them in flight ..i'm like totally blind trying to find one of them in the viewfinder once they start flying
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:33 AM   #3

nice..yeah smac what was the settings used on this 1 and how much zoom....
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:22 AM   #4

1/500, f4.6, ISO80, 432mm zoom, spot meter
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:00 AM   #5

nooner wrote:
Quote:
1/500, *f4.6, ISO80, 432mm zoom, spot meter
Yeah, What nooner said.

:-) He beat me to it. Thanks and by the way you current Avatar is the most appropriate one to date for this forum. Ozzie cracks me up.

smac
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:10 AM   #6

jazzmaster221 wrote:
Quote:
man that's sharp ..what f stop and apeture are you using...it's been over cast here and in bakersfield.. i found a flock of hawks on this one back road i travel must be hundreds of them hanging out on this road but it has been overcast and foggy in the area just east of taft..so i'm wondering if that's the cause of my blah kinda shots ...check out my pics at wwww.pbase.com/jazzmaster221
i have a hawks gallery if you could check out that gallery and leave me a few tips i'd be greatful..btw whats the trick to shooting them in flight ..i'm like totally blind trying to find one of them in the viewfinder once they start flying
Hey Jazz, you have a very nice collection of photos. A really nice assortment. Those Hummers are impressive. Those things move so incredibly fast how can you get such good shots? Are they wide angle cropped down. That's the only way I think I could do it. I also like the Mojave Trona Pinnicles pictures. Nice work.
smac
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:30 AM   #7

jazzmaster221 wrote:
Quote:
Ok here's my humble opinion on bird shots. It's really hard! :roll: Ok, kidding aside. The thing that I have noticed over the last several months is that you need spend time with the birds. I am so fortunate to have this huge wildlife refuge 40 minutes from my house. You need to observe their behaviors. I don't mean you need to make a career out of it, but I now notice that because I have been watching and trying to shoot pictures of the birds I am beginning to anticipate certain moves. As for shooting flying birds. Wow, that's tough. I have an FZ20 and I almost always shoot with the same settings. P-mode 12x optical zoom or less. spot metering and OIS set to mode 2. I wish I could reliably set the focus to infinity because it would save a lot of missed shots that I would have had if not for the camera auto focusing. I will mess with that next time. And most importantly I always use the view finding. It forces you to hold your arms in tight against your body giving better stability for the camera. A tripod would be better if you are shooting mostly perching birds but it's useless for the flying ones. When birds are on the fly try to pick them up in the view finder early. Follow them until you see the shot you want. Sometimes burst mode works out. Though you lose the view finder during each exposure. I just try to follow were I think the bird was heading as the busts fire. Sometimes I do and sometimes the bird flies out of the frame. By the way you have a very nice shot of a Red Tail soaring. So, don't sell yourself short.
Well that's my method for trying to capture birds. I hope it helps. So far it's worked for me but I am just a beginner too.
Good luck and good shooting,
smac
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:48 PM   #8

smac.I was just wondering if you have used the panning mode. I haven't tried birds yet so I don't know anything about it. just a thought. By the way how's the weather in Chico? We're socked in down in the Valley.:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arr ow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:01 PM   #9

nooner wrote:
Quote:
smac.I was just wondering if you have used the panning mode. I haven't tried birds yet so I don't know anything about it. just a thought. By the way how's the weather in Chico? We're socked in down in the Valley.:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arr ow:

I have not tried the panning mode. Truthfully, I forgot there was a panning mode. I will check it out the next time I go out to shoot birds. Thanks,

As for the weather, Can't see a thing! This end of the valley is also full of FOG! Darn it!

smac
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:34 PM   #10

thank you for the info smac..i kinda of thought exactly what you said... to try to anticipate what the bird is going to do next ..i notict that the hawks will kind of squat a little before they take off i have learned that and yes i will start using the 12x setting to catch them when they soar...
the shots i took of the hummers are set ups...i take both feeders and set then next to each other about 6 off the ground.. i will position myself according to the sun or if i use a flash i pick the best back ground..a couple of feet from the feeders or i will sit in a chair right next to the feeders...and its just like you said i try to anticipate where they will go ..sometimes they come up behind be and buzz in my ear or at times they fly right up to my face and stare at me ..they are very courious birds and some of them are not afraid of me...i can stand next to the feeder and they will fly right up to me ...sometimes they will start a feading frenzy and that is when the fun begins..they will start chasing each other around the yard ..like they are playing last tag your it...what a riot
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote