Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:23 PM   #1

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/dof/#ANDRE

my thread
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...51&forum_id=23
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:32 PM   #2

here is a snip from this site
confirms my findings on DOF ie too much with FZxx series
out of focus background is a wonderfull tool but is not effective when CCD is small
eg F4 on the FZ1 is like f11 on a 35mm SLR

<>
Now, whenever I'm shooting in aperture or shutter priority, I have to break my long-embedded SLR habits, and use apertures much wider than I'm used to. Usually there is no sense in using openings smaller (F-numbers greater) than F/4, when shooting at the wide-to-medium lens angle.

Actually, small apertures, i.e., large F-numbers, may lead to image degradation due to diffraction effects. These depend on the actual (as opposed to relative) diameter of the lens aperture, which makes them especially painful for digital cameras. This is one of the reasons the digital camera makers limit themselves to F/8 or F/11, but not greater values, although these would be still quite useful in the macro mode. The topic, however, is out of the scope of this article.

The bad news is that it is much more difficult, using a digital camera, to blow the background out of focus, which is a pleasing effect in portrait and nature photography. You will have to use the longest possible focal length, and keep your lens wide open. Well, there is no free lunch. I'm not retiring my 35 mm SLRs yet. (2002 note: I'm lying! In the last year I went through just two rolls of film.)
<>
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:59 PM   #3
Administrator

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
out of focus background is a wonderfull tool but is not effective when CCD is small
Actually, the difference is much greater than that. ;-) You'd need to stop down to almostf/22 on a 35mm camera to get more depth of field than you'd have with the DMC-FZ1 shooting wide open at f/2.8.

This is a great thing if you want more depth of field, but a bad thing if you want a shallow depth of field. So, it depends on your perspective.

Here is a handy online depth of field calculator you can use. Make sure to plug in the actual (versus 35mm equivalent) focal length of the lens for DOF calculation purposes:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the link. I thought boyzo was a little off there.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:11 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
boyzo wrote:
Quote:
Actually, the difference is much greater than that. ;-) You'd need to stop down to almost f/22 on a 35mm camera to get more depth of field than you'd have with the DMC-FZ1 shooting wide open at f/2.8.

This is a great thing if you want more depth of field, but a bad thing if you want a shallow depth of field. So, it depends on your perspective.

Here is a handy online depth of field calculator you can use. Make sure to plug in the actual (versus 35mm equivalent) focal length of the lens for DOF calculation purposes:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

correct Jim the ratio is ~4 - 5 to 1
so f4 on FZ1 is closer to f22 actually.
I like shallow DOF at times.
I think a lot of users are not aware of this.
Its a downside this to much depth of field, you need to go DSLR to come back to 35mm film terms even DSLRs don't have full frame CCD's
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:16 PM   #6
Administrator

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I thought boyzo was a little off there.
I think he was looking at a section discussing the Olympus E-20 (which has a larger 2/3" type CCD, compared to the smaller 1/3.2" type CCD used in the Panasonic DMC-FZ1).

That's one of the things I like about the online DOF calculator... It has a variety of camera models included. Even if you want to know about one that's not in the list, you can simply pick a different model with the same size sensor (or film size).

Thenuse the actual focal length of the lens for computations (and if it's not in a camera's specs, it's usally marked on the lens).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote