Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:26 PM   #1

I hate for my second post on this forum to be a negative one but, I purchased my FZ20 from Circuit City. Over the weekend I finally had some time to try different things, so I used the 16M memory that the camera came with rather than the 256 I bought extra. Was I ever shocked to find several photos taken inside the store residing on the 16M.
Took it back to C-City and they said that it was due to a customer trying out the camera before they bought it. I said that I felt this indicated this may have been a demo. Their reply was "impossible, customers do that all the time"
While I would agree that that might happen once in a while, it sure doesn't set well with me. And to think I could have saved $100 by buying over the net,,,,,,,,,,,,,JUST on the camera.
snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:46 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, snook

Here is an unsolicited suggestion...clean out those pics then throw that 256 card in your FZ20 and go take a boatload of pics!

You could probably get $5 for the 16 mb card on Ebay if you wanted to rid yourself of it.

I look forward to seeing your photos
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:37 PM   #3

I once bought a digital camera from a store and I was shocked...yes shocked when I got home and saw that it had pictures on the camera already....of NEKID ANIMALS and midgets....yes..midgets with their clothes off...all nekid and everything...

I told the manager about this and he charged me extra for those pics...I shouldn't have said anything from the beginning...

:yawn:
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:51 PM   #4

i would of asked for 10 percent off or returned the camera...that's an open box ..a used camera...man i hate it when they do that...take it back and get one thats never been used...
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:13 PM   #5

I once bought a VCR at CC and it had a tape in it with Melrose Place on it. I despise that horrible store!
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:28 PM   #6

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
I once bought a VCR at CC and it had a tape in it with Melrose Place on it. I despise that horrible store!
Not to mention Melrose Place.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:18 AM   #7

Yes, I consider that an open box 100%. Sure seems that they DON'T. Second time I have been had by them. Went there ONLY due to no one else in area had the FZ20. There WON'T be a 3rd time.

I hope to get out soon and angle some eagles. Seen 3 last year and got quite close. DIDN'T have a camera with me. Would have been a beaut!
snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:45 PM   #8

snook,

That is not good to hear that Circuit City does this but in my case I always ask to see what is inside before I ever leave the store. If they say they can't then I don't buy.

I did ask about the price match of what they had online and it was honored. I then decided to go for it and then asked if I could see the contents of the box. I say that the SD card was still security taped and that all the bells and whistles were intact in their respective undisturbed packaging.

One should never have to do this as I had done. I too have found to have been sold what would qualify as a "refurb" from other places. It does not mean that it had to go out to the manufacturer and be given the once over for resale. Once opened it is a "refurb".

Places like this do make money in this practice when they have a restocking fee available.

In any instance I hope you enjoy the camera and post some of those eagle shots.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 1:23 PM   #9
csh

snook wrote:
Quote:
I hate for my second post on this forum to be a negative one but, I purchased my FZ20 from Circuit City. Over the weekend I finally had some time to try different things, so I used the 16M memory that the camera came with rather than the 256 I bought extra. Was I ever shocked to find several photos taken inside the store residing on the 16M.
Took it back to C-City and they said that it was due to a customer trying out the camera before they bought it. I said that I felt this indicated this may have been a demo. Their reply was "impossible, customers do that all the time"
While I would agree that that might happen once in a while, it sure doesn't set well with me. And to think I could have saved $100 by buying over the net,,,,,,,,,,,,,JUST on the camera.
That sucks, but then Circuity City is only useful for window shopping, and occasional purchase when you need it or they have a decent deal.

I bought my FZ20 from Circuit City for $520 by ordering it online. Yes, they give an $80 discount if you order it online. I still picked it up at the local store.

To me, that's just plain stupid, having to do an online deal to save money at a *local store*.

But there was no use arguing with them. By ordering my camera and accessories online, I saved over $200.

I also always pay with a credit card. If a store screws me by selling a refurbished item as new, I call the credit company and dispute the charges. This gives you a lot more arguing power when you confront the store clerks for a refund or replacement.

csh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:54 PM   #10

I actually never shop at these stores unless they can beat all the online deals out there, which is very very rare indeed. But when I bought my FZ20 I did buy it online from Circuit city and just ran in to pick it up. The deal was for $549.99 but it came with a 128MB Sandisk SD card for free. I was excited at first but then realised that 128MB is almost useless for this camera, so just to inquire I called the store and got an amazing girl who said that I could just return the 128MB and buy a larger card. Guess What I did...lol? I returned the 128MB card for $49.99...lol...that was circuit city's rate for the card, she didn't need me to buy another one right away...so i pretended to browse their memory cards...and when she was out of sight...i snuck out.So my camera ended up costing me less than $500 actually. And I came home and bought a 512MB 60X speed card w/ 10mb/s transfer rate for under $50...lol. Sweet huh?

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote