Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:02 PM   #1

im a complete noob to photography and i recently recieved the FZ-20 for my birthday.. i saw some pictures on deviantart that used polarizer filters and i was wondering if this kit i found (link below) is a good deal and if its a good filter... will i need to purchase anything else other than this if i choose to buy it? also does it act as a UV filter also? or can you recommend a good UV filter and Polarizer? sorry to be such a noob.. this looks like a awesome forum

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...ay-plpp20.html
pixie0fd00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:42 PM   #2

Can't answer your first and main question but as far as UV and polarizing filters go then read the first entry on this forum. It's long but covers 99.9% of what the collective knowledge of this group can come up with. After reading this then many of those with experience will be able and willing to respond to specifics.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:15 PM   #3

ok, thank you
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4

This is the well regarded raynox rt5264p adapter ($16 alone at bugeye) with a couple of filters and a lens cap and as such is a pretty good deal. Many fz20 owners use it. The mc filter would take the place of a uv filter for lens protection - keep it and the adapter on at all times. The rt5264p will accept other 52mm add-on lens. A couple of reasonably priced good ones are the olympus c210 1.9x teleconverter which will effectively double the zoom (1.9x12=22.8) - $40 at olympus emporium special offers - and the nikon 4t close-up lens - $37 at b&hphoto which will give you macro capability throughout the 12x zoom. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htmfor info on fz series macro capability.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:38 AM   #5

Does this meet the test that was discussed in the filter thread about the Phayhee adapter? That is, allowing the filter to be mounted close to the lens?

Jeff
:O
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:17 AM   #6

uh i dont know ? im a complete noob and dont see anything about that on the site. i may be blind
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:42 AM   #7

pixie0fd00m,

Ihad the same question you have and it appears that it is part of a two part process. Check the link at the bottom and you will see what I think I understand on how this would work. If that is the case then it will extend those lenses beyond the end of the camera lens. It really would not be much different then if you bought a 72mm filter and put it on the end of your lens hood. bobc has found it to be no problem as far as picture quality and his posts have proven that. The only problem with the hood provided is that if you are to use the flash then it would be in the way.

With a Raynox, Pemeraal, Chen, Phayee and Yoshida you won't have that problem. There is a push on adapter http://www.nextphoto.net/FZ20.htmthat is also an option. Definitely for the minimalist but still protects your lens and you can attach filters only.

It listsRaynox PLP-P20 MC Protector & Polarizer Filter Kit and the Raynox RT5264P Lens Adapter

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...panasonic.html

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:22 AM   #8

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
It really would not be much different then if you bought a 72mm filter and put it on the end of your lens hood.
There are 2 significant differences. 1) 72mm filters are quite a bit more expensive than 52mm - 62mm filters and, 2) The stock fz20 72mm adapter putsan add-on lens about 20mm from the camera lens. In general, one wants to get the add-on lens as close as possible to the camera lens.3rd party adapters such as the rt51264p do that. There is also the issue of the bulkiness of the stock adapter if you are condsidering leaving the adapter and uv filter on at all times for lens protection.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:39 AM   #9

I agree with this about cost,but have seen from examples posted by bobc and I myself have used this set-upsince being a noob I did not know anything about third party adapters at the time I got my camera. I posted pictures of the Grand Canyon and Petrified forest with this set-up and no post-process just resize with ifranview 3.95.

The issue of the filter not being close to the lens did not seem to show what is claimed. With that being the caseI made that statement about it being similar in my opinion.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:53 AM   #10

Hey guys I actually use the Raynox PLP-P20 except that I bought my whole setup from Ebay and my polarizer is a linear polarizer, as opposed to a circular polarizer which is what is offered at the website link you provided. So do a search on Ebay for the Raynox PLP-P20, the adaptor, the UV lens, the PL and the lens cap and pouch and shipping...all of it cost me $49.99. The adaptor and the lens are really good, all metal, good threads and very slim. The adaptor allows the lens to be mounted pretty close to the camera lens. Here is an example of me using the PL. hope you like it ( i posted this one other place so i hope i don't annoy anyone buy repeating it here...just thought i would help someone)

seth

this is without the PL
Attached Images

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote