Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:16 PM   #21

Hi Playlong,

I agree with you 100%. I was using the adapter lenght has a reference, because both my adapters when mounted are exactly the same distance from the focus ring. Since I had allready measured the distance from the glass element to the front edge of one of my adapters, then with the difference between the lenght of both adapters I can figure out how far I am from the lens with any adapter that mounts at the same distance from the focus ring. It is allways better to measure from the element to the edge of the adapter or a step ring, but I dont like to do this too often in case I scratch the surface of the lens.
Thanks for your comments,
Gilles
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:19 PM   #22

Giles - You can post images here directly from your computer. Press the Browse button in a Reply or New Message window to choose the jpg from your hard drive. You're limited to 1 image per message. Reply to yourself to upload multiple images. There is alsoa 250kb/image limit so it's a good idea to crop a good sample portion to 100% to best utilize the space.
I'll try your suggestiion of testing at a substantially longer distance. Thx.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:11 AM   #23

I Fred,

Please ignore my request for you to post my images, it's at dpreview that I can't post. My mistake.

Here are those images: These were taken on a very cloudy and misty kind of day so they are not very good but the quality difference is noticeable. Thanks for the info.
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:36 AM   #24

Ok, I dont know if this is working or not.
I can't see my images.
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:38 AM   #25

Here's another one, hope you can view the picture.
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:39 AM   #26

Here's the last one.
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:25 PM   #27

Here's some additional info. about those images:

The birch tree was about 50 to 60ft away and the fences were 90 to 100ft away. There were no adjustments made to the images except adding a bit of contrast and reducing them for the web. The only change made to the camera setup was moving the tcon17 closer(6mm) or further(7mm) using different stepup rings. I have ordered a new adapter which will place the tcon17 4mm from the panasonic lens front element. I dont know if this will further improve performance or not, but it should indicate if 6mm is the critical point or not.
I have ordered a TL-55 as well and I will do the same tests to see what it's range is.
Just to further clarify how I arrive at these measurements, here's a short explanation:

I place the camera on it's back with the adapter + the step ring installed, the power is on, so the lens is extended.
I place a straight ruler on top and across the adapter ring, making sure it is in the middle of the ring.
Then with another ruler I measure from the middle of the pana glass element to the edge of the straight rule.
For me this measurement was 8mm with the Raynox adapter + the stepup ring. Then using a caliper I measured the amount of thread on the tcon17, taking into account the slight concave of the lens element (again this can be measured using a straight edge and a ruler)and this was 2mm. Since the tcon17 bottoms onto the step ring edge then I needed to substract 2mm from 8mm to get the proper distance, 6mm.
Hope this makes sense, please comment if you feel my approach is incorrect, because I want this information to be accurate.
Thanks, Gilles
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:31 PM   #28

Thanks, Gilles. Good to finally see some photos demonstrating the difference, and there is a marked difference. There is some kind of noise in the second pair (deck railing). Was that taken through a screen door or window? I assume you were using a tripod with the IS off. Spot mode ON? Can you postsome exif data for these shots?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:33 PM   #29

Hi Fred,

Yes there is a marked difference, I'm sure that's why some have not had the result they were hopping for with there TC's
You're right I was shooting through a window, was too cold outside to take my camera out. I dont have the original images with the exif but I remenber what my settings were:
used a tripod,ISO 80, spot focus, centre metering, IS on mode2, (didn't really notice any difference with it off),
zoom at 12x, 1/15sec for birch tree and 1/10sec for deck railing, camera setting all on low except contrast on standard.

Note: The images I posted are 100% magnifications and then were cropped and reduced in size for the web.

Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:52 AM   #30

Hi,
As a new FZ20 owner I've been following this thread with some interest.

I finally went for the Raynox adapter, partly because it was easy to find, but mainly for its 52mm front thread, since I already possessed an assortment of 52mm filters (picked up some years ago at a liquidation sale for a buck each!) and, from an earlier life, a Sony VCL-0758A (.7, 58mm thread) wide angle attachment.

I just measured the element-to-element gap and it's precisely 5.5mm with the step-up ring that came with it from Sony and 5mm without (the wall thickness of the stepup ring is just .5mm and it was made for the adapter, so fits very neatly.)

Apart from severe vignetting at full wide (it was made for video cameras, which have much smaller lenses than the FZ20), results are excellent with no barrel distortion (lines are straight) and resolution is, to my tired old eyes, close to perfect.

As I recall, one of Sony's main selling points for this lens -- which, in the mid 1980's, was quite expensive in OZ -- was that there is no edge fall-off, and certainly on the FZ20 there's little or none.

It's very nicely made and has only one major drawback -- it weighs more than the camera!

Given their age, and that video 8 cameras are now largely passe, these lenses should be findable quite cheaply.

If you find one, grab it -- you won't be sorry! :-)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote