Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:44 AM   #31

marigil wrote:
Quote:
You're right I was shooting through a window
I think we need to run these tests at the optimum conditions; ie, in sunlight and NOT through a window. Also, as Panasonic recommends,make sure the OIS is off when using a tripod. If the IS is on and attempts to correct movement when there is none, it can cause movement rather than correct for it.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:29 PM   #32

I will run these tests again as soon as the weather warms up, which is suppose to be on the weekend. The original tests that I ran when I first started to look into this where done with the conditions you recommend, and the results were the same.
Unfortunately I didn't think I was going to post the information and I deleted all the images. But, I think it's worth re-running this test to get accurate results under better conditions.
As far as I know, based on what I got from Panasonic using the OIS with mode2 and a tripod is not a problem, but you should definitely not use mode1 with a tripod, because the OIS is in movement all the time and can cause pour focus.
Mode2 stabilizes the shot as it is taken and can help eliminate movement due to vibrations,caused by the wind or even floor movement...especially when shooting at max zoom or macro. But, I will test both with OIS on and off and see if it makes a difference.
marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:46 PM   #33

Hi everyone,
Here are two more images shot under better conditions, shot outside,mostly clear day, late afternoon before sunset, 50 to 60ft away, zoom at 12x with tcon17.
exif: ISO 80, 1/250sec, spot focus, spot meter, OIS mode off, 100% magnification crop and reduced for web.
The shot taken with the tcon17 7mm from the pana lens was the best I could get, some trouble focusing at 6mm no problems.
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:50 PM   #34

Here's the other one.
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:10 PM   #35
RDV

Thanks marigil.........I have the FZ20 with the oly B-300 and have been experiencing soft pics with the converter. I have the phayee and raynox tubes and will experiment when this ice storm passes.
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:49 PM   #36

Hi Gilles,

Thanks for the updated pics. The differences in these shots is not nearly as severe as the others butthey do indicate closer to the lensis better - mostly on theforeground branches to the left. I would say theimprovement might be more noticeable on a photo of a bird or squirrel where there is a alot of detail in the feathers/fur. Try the same test on acolorful sign or licence plate.

You say you had more trouble focusing at 7mm or 6mm? Were you using the timer (2 or 10 sec) and just letting it auto focus?

Did you get the thinner step ring yet?

-Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:12 PM   #37

Hi Fred,

Yes the difference is not as severe, but the 6mm one has more sharpness and detail as well as less ca(red fringing), it jumps out more and as you said it would certainly make a difference when shooting animals.
I did try shooting a street sign and at 7mm the image was not as sharp, but because it was a flat object with no dept of field the difference was not as noticeable.
When focusing I tried both using the timer or just focusing with the trigger half pressed, in both cases the camera hunted more, to find good focus when the lens was at 7mm.
I haven't received my new adapter yet, but I'm anxious to see if 4mm will make a difference.
I'll keep you posted, should receive it next week.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:19 PM   #38

Well, here's what I think will be my final tests with the tcon17.
The following results were obtained after several hours of testing, by repeating the tests several times to make sure that what I was seeing was correct.
I was a little surprised with the results, because I expected the lens to perform better at all distances when mounted at 4mm; but good to know this isn't the case.

1. When the distance was beyond 40ft, probably near or at infinity (90 to 100ft) the lens performed better in the centre of the frame when mounted at 6mm, and poorer than at 4mm for the rest of the frame.
2. when the distance was 40ft or less, the lens performed much better when mounted at 4mm, over the entire frame.
3. You will notice in the pictures bellow that at 60ft, which was between the pictures taken at 40 and 100ft the difference in performance is less noticeable, but still slightly better when the lens was mounted at 6mm. This probably explains why the last test I did with the lens at 6mm and 7mm, the differences where less noticeable, because the distance was also approx 60ft.
4. At 6mm the pictures are cooler and the fringing is blue/purple.
5. At 4mm the pictures are warmer and the fringing is red/magenta.

**I will test the TL55 when I receive it to see if the same applies.

Hope this is helpfull information, both distances 4mm and 6mm produce very good results; after all pictures are not normally viewed or printed at 100%.
:G:G

Note: There are a total of 8 images, please go to page 3 to see the last 5 images.
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:21 PM   #39

Pictures are noisy because they were taken at max sharpening.
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:28 PM   #40

test
Attached Images