Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:29 PM   #41

test
Attached Images

marigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:32 PM   #42

test
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:33 PM   #43

test
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:35 PM   #44

test
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:36 PM   #45

test
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:06 PM   #46

Thankyou, Gilles, for continuing and posting your tests. Interesting results. In some cases the two lenses can be too close. I guess it depends on the lenses and distances in. Perhaps 5mm is the "best" distance between the tcon17 and fz20 lens for general use. Wonder what the tl55 and fz20 will show. Also wondering what playlong will think of this. I believe his theory is that the absolute minimum distance between the tele lens and the camera is optimum. Your test don't neccessarly indicate that.

-Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:24 AM   #47

Following are the test results of the Canon TL-55. It's important to note that the rear element of this lens is recessed 5mm into the body of the lens (unlike the tcon17 which is nearly flush) and the element is also curved inwards by another 4mm at it's centre. This is a total of 9mm from the edge of the rear body. The rear lens thread is 2.5mm. So, based on my measurements the lens sits 12.5mm and 14.5mm from the pana lens' centre with my PA55 and the Raynox adapter respectively. This is a major difference with the tcon17's 4mm and 6mm.So maybe closer is not allways better, but more a factor of lens design.
Even so, I decided to test the lens anyway at both distances to see if the results were similar to the tcon17's tests.
As you can see by the pictures bellow the results are similar to the ones I got with the tcon17. When the distance is 90 to 100ft away 14.5mm is better and when the distance is bellow 40ft 12.5mm is better; except in this case the differences are much less noticeable.

I suspect that the reasons for this are (my opinion):
1. the lens is allready at a fair distance and moving the lens in or out has less impact.
2. the curveture of the lens closely matches the front of the pana lens.
3. the rear element of the tl-55 is a large 45mm compare to 34mm for the tcon17. Since the pana lens is 39mm across, the tl-55 covers the entire surface of the pana lens and more.
The smaller diameter of the tcon17's lens which is less than the pana lens,as well as it's relativelly flat curveture and the fact that the lens sits much closer probably results in a greater impact in performance when the lens is moved in or out.

I also took pictures of a squirrel (about 20ft away) to compare both lenses at 12x.
As you can see, they are both fairly sharp, but the tl-55 came out slightly sharper.
This lens is very sharp in the centre but a bit soft at the corners compare to the tcon17.
Both lenses performed very well. I would recommend the tl-55 if you want a compact lens with excellent hassle free results, the only drawback is it's only 1.4x, but for backyard shooting of birds and small animals it's excellent. For a greater reach the tcon17 is a great choice with excellent results, though it is heavier and larger and it's distance from the pana lens more critical. Price is also excellent for the quality of these lenses.
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:26 AM   #48

next
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:28 AM   #49

next
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:30 AM   #50

next