Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:12 PM   #21

Bob, very well said. That is the kind of attitude that makes this world a better place.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:18 PM   #22

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
If you ever serve in harm's way, as Bobc has honorably done, and you return to "the world", you might begin to understand what the best of this forum is all about.
I served from 1983 to 1989, and was lucky enough not to have been put in harms way.

But I did serve honorably.

And thank you for your great post. It says much of what I speak.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:31 PM   #23
scb

Many excellent thoughts, comments and responses posted. As one who has been lurking here for quite some time and only recently posting, I see and understand everyones point of view. But as I see it, the bottom line is that each of us has control of what we do in this forum....from which posts we choose to read, reply or create.

As a relative rookie to the FZ20, I appreciate getting help and sharing what I consider to be some of my better pictures. Certainly, I read posts to learn more about the camera and photography.

At the same time, I would like to be able to help others when I can. Yes, sometimes you scan the posts and you just don't want to answer the same question(s) again. But after 32 years of teaching music in a public school....I think I've learned a little about patience and teaching some of the same material hundreds.....no, thousands of times So, when I can, I will read and respond to anyones plea for help or advice. There are other times when I bypass those threads and look for threads of interest to me.

Isn't that the best way to have a friendly community? Yes, there is a time for us to gently nucge posters to try doing a little searching and reading.....but we must remember that some posters are probably very limited in their experience on the computer and or seaching for information. More importantly, for those of us that like tinkering with gadgets and are somewhat mechanically inclined, we have to remember how foreign that is to others and so difficult for some. I just had to remind my wife that you only have to move the 4wd shift lever towards the seat and she will be in 4wd.....but she just hates anything mechanical or technical i.e. learning new programs/hardware on the computer.

Patience...kindness.....and when you can't deal with it....skip that thread!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Best wishes to all!
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:37 PM   #24

It isn't about measuring proficiency, or presenting qualification. To me this site is unlimited in it's scope. The social interaction, and free exchange of opinion and thoughts relating to our fabulous hobby brings as much fun and joy as the hobby itself. We are all characters, of one sort or another, and all of us bring something fun, useful and interesting to this party. For every newb who (rarely in my experience) gets a cold shoulder there are dozens who get more than they ask for. For every member who won't help, there are dozens more who will. Even tho there ARE other ways to track down info, and advice, I just love reading posts from members who run into problems, or members who are curious about this or that, and when I feel like I can help, I do. Even if I know nothing about a post, I still like reading the way it's solved etc. I haven't met any of you out there, but from your posts, I feel that I am acquainted with many of you now. (read that as a positive, friendly remark) And I have only been a member for 6 months or so. I like this place! Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:35 PM   #25

Just to refresh some peoples memories:

Quote:
So what do they do? They come here for a little help. And what do they get? They get treated like an idiot by some, and made to feel like they are lower than the people that they are hoping would help them by some.

And I say again… "by some"
But a while back another quote by Bobc

Quote:
You want to know the truth about your camera?

It's not the camera... It's you using the camera... If you want a camera that even you can use... Get a disposible one (although you may have trouble with that as well). But then you can find a disposible camera forum to post your ignorence, and be attacked by people like me who are dumber thatn you.
You complain about others bobc but you do the same.

I may be a "newbie" but ive been watching this site for a long time and everyone needs to relax and make sure this doesnt turn into some kind of witch hunt.

Just IMHO.

newbie one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:17 PM   #26

Well stated, appropriate, quite true. My only fear is that not enough will see this post buried here under Panasonic......
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:45 PM   #27

newbie one wrote:
Quote:
Just to refresh some peoples memories:

Quote:
So what do they do? They come here for a little help. And what do they get? They get treated like an idiot by some, and made to feel like they are lower than the people that they are hoping would help them by some.

And I say again… "by some"
But a while back another quote by Bobc

Quote:
You want to know the truth about your camera?

It's not the camera... It's you using the camera... If you want a camera that even you can use... Get a disposible one (although you may have trouble with that as well). But then you can find a disposible camera forum to post your ignorence, and be attacked by people like me who are dumber thatn you.
You complain about others bobc but you do the same.

I may be a "newbie" but ive been watching this site for a long time and everyone needs to relax and make sure this doesnt turn into some kind of witch hunt.

Just IMHO.

Now that you attempted to degrade my dedication to this foru... Why don't you be kind enough to post a link to the thread where you only posted what you wanted people to see.

I remember this thread (not by name), and as I recall this person refused to take many peoples advice, and insisted that he should not have to know anything at all about taking pictures, and that the magic camera should have taken the perfect shot for him.

Many of us tried to help him, and it turned into an insult contest. I don't remember who started it... but it surely was not me... and even after i made the comment you posted here, I cooled off and still tried to help the person.

So before you try to make me look bad by posting only the part of the story that you want people to see... try posting a link to this thread... so everyone can see the whole story...

I have over 1000 posts here, and probably 90% of them are helping others or complementing them on their pics.

And even though I might be ticked off at you right now... I would still help you if you needed it.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:56 PM   #28

bobc wrote:
Quote:
So before you try to make me look bad by posting only the part of the story that you want people to see... try posting a link to this thread... so everyone can see the whole story...
... don't let this person get your goat, bob. And don't sweat "looking bad". You haven't "looked bad" since you changed your first avatar. Personally, I wouldn't have dignified this post with a response.

... this person went to a lot of trouble digging through a ton of threads to dig up one, "gotchya". Wonder if they'll go to the same amount of trouble to help someone on the forum.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:57 PM   #29

I don't generally post to these topics because in general I think they are a lot of BS (and I don't mean the college degree).

I went and found the original post, as anyone else can.. It Wasn't very difficult to do.. One misspelled word in the search box did it. That thread was a repeat (apparently) of a :P that had taken place on another forum. Same person, same attitude toward finding the best settings, same end result. Bob is correct, if you are going to quote from another source, you should provide all information, not just a selection, to make your case.

I still think this is a forum.. Far better and more focused than anything I can find on USNET..

Keep :|

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:00 PM   #30

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
Bob is correct, if you are going to quote from another source, you should provide all information, not just a selection, to make your case.
... it's called, "taking something out of context" and it's a cheap, dispicable smear tactic regardless if it's used by a lawyer, politician, in the office, or on a forum.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote