Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:56 AM   #11

Actually bobc I am not joking but this is a digicam forum so I am sorry I brought up the subject and mixed it with newbie stuff ....

It wasjust that I saw a documentary on human sex trafikking and it stirred me up a little that these people have absolutley no one able to help them in thier countries, such as Moldova, etc. When I read the ...God helps those who help themselves ... I got a little perturbed! Sorry about that. We have worked with street people and my wife works with families in challenging situations in life ...we have seen lots of things happen, in a positive form, when there was nothing that could be done by the people who needed the help.

:-D:-D:-D

Goldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:56 AM   #12

I read this and thought to myself that this could be posted in a variety of places within this forum.

'Some people understand life better. And they call some of these people "retarded"...At the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash.

At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win.All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry. The other eight heard the boy cry.They slowed down and looked back.

Then they all turned around and went back...... every one of them.One girl with Downs Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it better."

Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line. Everyone in the stadium stood, the cheering went on for several minutes.People who were there are still telling the story. Why?

Because deep down we know this one thing: What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.

We may be able to change our hearts as well as someone else's.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Hazzabone
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:05 AM   #13

That was AWESOME story ... I will use that!
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:24 AM   #14

I really think a question seems dumb is when you know the answer and unfortunatelythat is what we are looking for when we ask. (someone that knows the answer)

Some of us know all about photography and others know all about building houses

or computers or world affairs but most of us know a little about a lot of things.

Maybe I have the wrong Idea about these forums but I feel they are to offer help.

There are other forums for posting pictures and getting praise or critiqued.

Not that it hurts to post photos between helping others.

Just my 2 cents.

Gene

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:50 PM   #15

Check this out...................
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11833397

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11838264
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:48 PM   #16

Goldstar wrote:
Quote:
"God helps those who help themselves" Rezajune writes ... how about those who cannot help themselves ... DUH ... I think that statement isso stupid ...who ever made that up was probably living for themselves ... So I guess all those in other non-western countries are damned because they cannot help themselves ... sounds pretty western to me ... Oh human trafikking for sex industry ...oh they can't help themseves so I guess God will not help them ... the woman who has the abortion because they cannot help themselves to make right choices ... I guess God won't help them.
Quote:
Does God help those who help themselves? Yes. How? Usually through other people. Do evil things happen in this world? Yes. Why? Becausse some people are just evil. Do these things have anything in common? No. Why? Because people have free will. Do you have something against the western culture? Obviously yes? Why? I have no idea. Do I have anything against any other culture? No. Why? Because I like all people.
Quote:

How about someone who has lost everything in life and are not able to help themselves at that stage of life! Tsunami victims, tourists, etc.
Quote:
Have we been giving billions of dollars to other countries for decades to help them? Yes.
Quote:

Sorry for the RANT but it bugs me when people set themselves up as self righteous saying to everybody ... If I did it you can too!

In regards to newbies ... same thing ... but I agree on one thing ... give a person a fish feed them for one day ...they'll be back and on the same level as before BUT teach that person how to fish AND give them the tools in order to do it ...you will never see that person again ...and hopefully they will be multiplying themselves.
Quote:
I guess I can see the point here in a fishy kind of way.
Quote:

Some people need motivation, encouraging words, when it comes to any new found hobby ...lets be that kind of person here in the forums.
Quote:
I agree with that 110%...
Quote:

We let the frums get down graded ...when WE let the forums get downgraded. Come on y'all
Quote:
That is what I am trying to prevent by posting the thread "This Use To Be A Place"

I do not appreciate your insult to Rezajune. He helps so many people on this forum, and even though he has posted his opinions... He continues to help everyone including the newcomers.

He has quite an out of the ordinary personality (which personaly I like), but you should read some of his many (very informative) posts, before you bash someone.

What upsets me even more is your obvious dislike of the western culture. I have nothing against any culture, and I don't understand why you do.

You may be upset about something that happened in the world, but I can assure you... None of the members of this forum had anything to do with it.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:54 PM   #17

I have seen nick and bobc go at it for a very long time, and I mean go at it, but at the end, they both explained how much they respect the other person's opinion and at the end after the heated debate, both nick and bobc walked away with out any hard feelings, but mutual respect for each other.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:39 PM   #18

Goldstar wrote:
Quote:
"God helps those who help themselves" Rezajune writes ... how about those who cannot help themselves ... DUH ... I think that statement is so stupid ...who ever made that up was probably living for themselves ... So I guess all those in other non-western countries are damned because they cannot help themselves ... sounds pretty western to me ... Oh human trafikking for sex industry ...oh they can't help themseves so I guess God will not help them ... the woman who has the abortion because they cannot help themselves to make right choices ... I guess God won't help them.

How about someone who has lost everything in life and are not able to help themselves at that stage of life! Tsunami victims, tourists, etc.

Sorry for the RANT but it bugs me when people set themselves up as self righteous saying to everybody ... If I did it you can too!

In regards to newbies ... same thing ... but I agree on one thing ... give a person a fish feed them for one day ...they'll be back and on the same level as before BUT teach that person how to fish AND give them the tools in order to do it ...you will never see that person again ...and hopefully they will be multiplying themselves.

Some people need motivation, encouraging words, when it comes to any new found hobby ...lets be that kind of person here in the forums.

We let the frums get down graded ...when WE let the forums get downgraded. Come on y'all

Not to diminish the horror and depravity of human trafficking for sex, but the content of your post was very inappropriate; to even make the comparison of Reza's quote with such behaviour, besides comparing apples to oranges, is insulting to both Reza and the readers of your post.

The average digicam owner is probably literate and has (or is obtaining) at least a high school education. Of course, that doesn't mean as much these days, but it does mean they are quite capable of reading and comprehending at least the user manual, and of doing a little research on google. In other words, these people have the basic skill set to benefit themselves. It is an entirely different situation than those whose lives have been destroyed by natural disasters or who are in situations in which they don't have such options.

By praising every picture posted as "wonderful", and answering every single little question (when a dozen other posts + the manual answering that same question already exist), you are actually hindering these "newbies" development rather than helping. Good encouragement does not come from unthinking praise, but from thoughtful critique and honesty. How much sweeter are the words "good work" that come from an honest teacher than the dozen elegant words that flow from flattery.

As for the statement "God helps those who help themselves", remember that it was popularized by none other than Benjamin Franklin, a great man who's efforts have benefited all of us in so many different ways.
petersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Does God help those who help themselves? Yes. How? Usually through other people. Do evil things happen in this world? Yes. Why? Becausse some people are just evil. Do these things have anything in common? No. Why? Because people have free will. Do you have something against the western culture? Obviously yes? Why? I have no idea. Do I have anything against any other culture? No. Why? Because I like all people.

BobcI am purely guessingthat some people obviously have notbeen around the world and experienced 2nd or 3rd world cultures/countries. I am a westerner. I appreciate most western idealogies. Just like our President mentioned yesterday and I quote " I will defend our freedom and our interests" . Interests, I wonder what he meant by that?

What are my interests ... I am interested in getting on with learning about my FZ20. People can can say anything they would like in this forum ... unless it is derogatory in nature. But I guess that is based on the moderators personal definition of derogatory.

We can banter this back and forth but hey ...lets get on with life and relaize everybody is different, need to be respected but not walked over or treaded upon.

Come on ... you say that most are educated on this forum ...a generalization if you include grade 3 as a qualification of being educated ...

Tell the poor people of Calcutta that your God helps those who helps themselves and then walk away andleave them in your dust... thats basically what one is saying ... leaving the responsibility to someone else ... because it will disturb my life, my finances and my personal comfort as a westerner ...not necessarily speaking of only the U.S.A. ... but its funny that most americans think of themselves in that regards ...whenever that is mentioned.

Leave it to peoples free will ..."well they choose to live like that ...so that excuses me to offering help to them ... "after all if they choose to live a better life , then they would wouldn't they ...sheeeesh hand me another tikila and lets see what is on Monday night football"

Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:56 AM   #20

Hey guys, I may not be enough of an expert yet to advise in tech. matters but at least I can help defuse this thing.

What we are witnessing here is the animal instinct of proving supremacy over the other by instigation/ challenge. But Hey!, we have evolved too far for that. It no longer jeopardises our chances to get a mate for producing progeny, if we are to let a challenge go un-noticed and un-answered, however unreasonable it may seem to us.:idea:

Somebody said that the thread should be given a chance to fade into cyberspace. An excellent idea.I am commiting the opposite, just to act as fire-line to stop the wildfire.

My 2 million dollar's worth inRAW/TIFF format. (copy/pasted from another such thread which needs defusing)

:?It is a coward's game to instigate on a forum, and it is a gullible's fault to be influenced by the instigation. The smart thing to do for the expertis to ignore a question if you think it is stupid, this will save a lot of time for you as well as the poster, and the smart thing for the poster is to take a hint when nobody answers your querry and the question disappears from page one.
:?
Just my 2M$W.

wise is offline   Reply With Quote