Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1

I started this as a new topic because I wanted to post a few pictures and didn't want to cause a 10 minute wait for downloads to some folks..

It snowed again here in Michigan (January, go figure) so I took my 8 day old FZ20 outside to try some shots that have always been difficult for me. Shown in this post is one taken at 12x PLUS full digital zoom, Snow scene, auto exposure (multi point) image stablization on mode 1. I must say that I'm a bit disappointed that the EXIF data does not call out the snow scene but says standard regardless of the setting but that's topic for another discussion. Anyway, Here's the photo taken with the above described settings (f4 1/500 sec iso 80). This photo is completely out of the camera other than a resize to 800-600. I'm not posting it to discuss the merits of the photo but to illustrate something (in fact as photos go, it's a pretty crappy composition in my opinion).. It was taken using the stock adapter, hood, and a Tiffen 72mm UV Multicoated filter. No evidence of flaring that I can see. I'm quite happy about that because it suggests I don't have to by extra filters, adapters, etc as I already have the 72mm filters. I don't know the person operating the snow blower btw but he's about 250 feet from where I'm standing and the wind is blowing.

Attached Images

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:44 PM   #2

This post and the next one will illustrate my point. Shown is a photo I take quite often to check contrast from low to high (it works for me)..

Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:48 PM   #3

Note in the image above you see a circular halo in the photo evident around the half wall. What that is, is the reflection of the lens off of the filter. This could even be seen on the LCD of the camera (much to my suprise).. The photo below is with the adapter removed..

So, A question.. Does one of the aftermarket adapters solve this problem :?:

Jeff
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:42 PM   #4

I'm not sure what you're seeing. The thing I noticed was the difference in color cast of the walls and ceiling.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:49 PM   #5

nooner wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're seeing. The thing I noticed was the difference in color cast of the walls and ceiling.
You have to look kind of close at the second photo.. It can best be seen below the half wall, the bottom third or so of what appears to be a reflection. But I assure you it Is a full circle. You should also be able to see a flare looking object where the vertical trim meets the half wall. That's the reflection back into the camera of some of the lettering on the front of the lens barrel.

Jeff
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:07 PM   #6

I see what you're saying now. My guess is the stock adapter is putting the filter too far away from the lens allowing this reflection back to the camera. An aftermarket adapter will put the filter closer, so may solve the problem. I'm guessing but others may be of more help. I do see a different look colorwise between the two pics though.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:22 PM   #7
RDV

Hi Jeff,

I tilted my screen down and I can see the reflection well. I see the round dots at the top of the half wall, to the right of the window, and between the door and window. I have the phayee and the raynox adapter with a uv filter and have not seen any reflections in my pics. Hope this helps.
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:25 PM   #8

I forgot to add that I use the Phayee and and UV and haven't seen this in my pics either.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:45 PM   #9

I use the Raynox PLP-P20 adaptor kit designed for the Panasonic FZ series. Take at look at their home page..*****oll down towards the end and look at the PLP-P20

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/fz10/index.htm

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:53 PM   #10

All of your answers help..

Kind of cheesy and lazy on Panasonics part if you ask me.. For those (like me) who didn't want to add aftermarket stuff, they could have certainly made this adapter a bit shorter. I still like the camera though..

Jeff
Thanks much.