Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:38 PM   #11

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
I've owned the fz20 about 3 mos. 20 yrs using canon eos 35mm and easily made the transition to digital. But, I'm having trouble getting a quality shot of the jewelry I design. Can't quite get it crisp enough, can it be done with out the additional expense of a macro lens? ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Joe*
Joe,
My wife also makes jewelry and while I haven't taken close up pictures of it with my FZ20 yet, I have take several macros to test the capability of the camera. I also come from a long SLR photo background. I believe that the FZ20 can take excellent close up pictures without an additional lens. I have include one of the first pictures I ever took with the camera just goofing around testing the different settings. This picture was taken in Macro mode under kitchen fluorescent lighting, hand held with OIS in mode 2. If you like I could take a few pics of my wifes jewelry and post them to see if you think the quality is what you'd like. Let me know,
smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:46 PM   #12

Describe exactly step by step what you're doing. Did you follow the link at the bottom also? When you reply look at smac's reply and you'll see it's an attachment of a photo on his computer.Is that the way you want to do it?
By the way smac nice avatar, but who is Joe? And yes that is me in the photo. Like it?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:50 PM   #13

Here are some experiments I did using a ring flash with an FZ10...

Attached Images

FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:51 PM   #14

Amethyst rock
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:52 PM   #15

Crystal Swarovsky ball
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:53 PM   #16

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Describe exactly step by step what you're doing. Did you follow the link at the bottom also? When you reply look at smac's reply and you'll see it's an attachment of a photo on his computer.Is that the way you want to do it?
By the way smac nice avatar, but who is Joe? And yes that is me in the photo. Like it?
Hey buddy, thanks I had just gotten my hair cut.
Look at the very top post in this link. Isn't the signature, Joe?
I never figured you for a vegetarian, but hey it's good to see you takin' care of your eyes.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:55 PM   #17

I'm blanking..but Cats Eye, Tiger Eye..something like that... This piece is very small...I forget if I used a +4 or a +3 and a +2 on this.

Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:10 AM   #18

That better not be a tigers's eye:evil:
You're right smac. I missed the Joe. Guess the carrot thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:13 AM   #19

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
thanks Jeff. Macro seems to be the only feature, so far, that i'm not impressed with. I shoot High school football. I started the season with 35mm, 400 telephoto, and was struggling. Took the FZ20 and was amazed at the shots, digital zoom, action. The jewerly is really spectacular. I work with amazing gems and can't capture there beauty as I see it. Photobase, I think, is limited. I'm using it now. But it wouldn't matter, if you don't have an image worth enhancing. I haven't looked yet, but are there guidelines on posting? I willing to be laughed at, critisism would be welcomed. I feel a lack of control with digital. The 35mm I manipulated, manually. The gems I can spin into whatever I can dream. And as much as I need to document my work before it leaves me, I want my images to be as amazing. Thank you and please reply when i post an image.

I think the macro on this camera is capable of far more than what I've shown.. There's nothing special about taking a photo of a dead bug on a window sill.. There's folks here who do awesome jobs in photos of live ones :O .. I think you just have to find the sweet spot given your subject.. Apply what you know from film to digital. With these cameras it isn't much different.

Looking forward to getting you a solution.. I might learn something too

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 1:04 AM   #20

Rather than the macro mode, I found it better to set the camera to F8.0 and put it in Aperture priority. When you get close, the camera automatically adjusts the lens as if you are shooting macros. Although, I have to confess, unless I really have a reason to do it, I find bokeh to be evil. I prefer a clear shot all the way through. I am looking forward to eventually getting a camera that goes up to F22.

FZFUN