Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:01 PM   #1

I've owned the fz20 about 3 mos. 20 yrs using canon eos 35mm and easily made the transition to digital. But, I'm having trouble getting a quality shot of the jewelry I design. Can't quite get it crisp enough, can it be done with out the additional expense of a macro lens? ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Joe
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:28 PM   #2

This should be a link to a photo I did last week.. No ad ons. The image was post processed in photoshop which was used to soften and balance it a bit..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...63&forum_id=23

The creature shown was on my window sill. I had the image stabilization turned off and rested the edge of the lens barrel on the sill. He (or she) is about 3/4 inch from the lens. The rest of the critical can be seen in the other post..

Jeff
:|
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:59 PM   #3

Not sick at all. I'm the girl that loves bugs. I'm a landscape designer. Which is why I am focusing on jewelry I design. It's winter. I look at photos of gems and can't quite capture that clarity, crispness, sharpness with this camera. Am I missing something? Features? And is there a way to get photshop w/out spending hundreds?
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:16 PM   #4

Here's a free photo editor to try
http://www.irfanview.com/
Your camera came with Photobase on CD, Try it too.
Also if you can post a pic maybe we can help out more.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:48 PM   #5

How about if you downsize one of your photos and post it.. Along with the EXIF info.. That way we may be able to pinpoint the problem..

Several things I've noticed in taking closeups.. Once the camera locks on to the focus, if you move it closer or further, even just a little, your image will be blured. The camera Does have a continuous autofocus mode but I haven't tried it. Image stabilazation doesn't seem to help with this at close range (tried both modes). Remember too that the closer you get the less depth of field you'll have (a couple pages down in this forum theres a great link to an explaination of depth of field). It could be that part of your image is perfectly focused and other parts are out of focus. I mention this because the angle to your subject will greatly affect your results (in my non add on experience anyway). Those are just a few suggestions.

Re photoshop.. You might try ebay. Also, From what I understand, if you want to buy a program, Photoshop elements gives you most of the functionality of the full blown program (minus a few things) at a retail of about $100.. Paint Shop Pro is also pretty good. Nooner mentioned a freebie, here another, http://www.picasa.com/ . Newly updated, pretty slick for a click and go editor.. You might also check the photo edit forum where most of these are discussed in greater detail.

:G Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:45 PM   #6

thanks Jeff. Macro seems to be the only feature, so far, that i'm not impressed with. I shoot High school football. I started the season with 35mm, 400 telephoto, and was struggling. Took the FZ20 and was amazed at the shots, digital zoom, action. The jewerly is really spectacular. I work with amazing gems and can't capture there beauty as I see it. Photobase, I think, is limited.I'm using it now. Butit wouldn't matter, if you don't have an image worth enhancing. I haven't looked yet, but are there guidelines on posting? I willing to be laughed at, critisism would be welcomed. I feel a lack of control with digital. The 35mm Imanipulated, manually. The gems I can spin into whatever I can dream. And as much as I need to document my work before it leaves me, I want my images to be asamazing. Thank you and please reply wheni post an image.

Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:47 PM   #7

thanks Nooner. I'm looking now.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:55 PM   #8

Ok, I'm fessing up. I'm blonde! how do I posta photo for all the criticism I can handle?
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:59 PM   #9

Try this:arrow:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...634&forum_id=2
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:30 PM   #10

ahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the RED X!!!! I followed your link?!!! I want to be a brunette! I know, it's the left brain, right brain thing. I stayed to long in the creativity line! Pst...is that you in the photo?