Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:25 PM   #11

Playlong,

Could you give me a little more explanation about why you think your setup would perform better than mine and why a 67mm hood wouldn't work?By the way,I like your photos!
herk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:39 PM   #12

Welcome, herk56...

Sincere thanks too from a grateful citizen for all you and your wife years of service to your country.

(One question...now that you are both retired...can there be duelin' FZ20s in the family soon? :-))

Looking forward to your pics when your FZ arrives.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:35 PM   #13

Thanks for the welcome. My wife is a point and shoot film camera user, so no dueling FZ's for us. She stills writes hand-written letters and doesn't do computers or email. Just an old-fashion girl with a heart of gold.

Look forward to learning a lot on this forum and hoping to post some good pictures of my favorite hobby- saltwater fishing.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:52 PM   #14

herk56 wrote:
Quote:
Playlong,

Could you give me a little more explanation about why you think your setup would perform better than mine and why a 67mm hood wouldn't work?By the way,I like your photos!
? Because of the nature of zoom lenses, a fixed hood if it is not wide enough, diameter, and may be marginal in some situations causing vignetting. The 1x position 35mm has the widest field of view as you move to 2x and 3x the zoom is not increased significantly but the field of view changes dramatically. Therefore, the hood if fixed can only accommodate the 35mm lens with a shape of 25mm deep and 88mm wide. This depth is not sufficient for zoom positions above 4x and above which needs 62mm diameter hood and with a 88mm depth. The best and they are not that good collapsible hoods are the Hama and Hoya 3 position with no outside threads.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:44 PM   #15

Thanks Playlong,

Thanks for the explanation. If I understand correctly, there should be little advantage in the 62mm setup over my 67mm setup using the same hood. I'll give it a shot and if I'm not satisfied, the only thing I'll be out is a stepup ring.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:29 PM   #16

herk56 wrote:
Quote:
Squirl033,

Actually Combat Rescue. Just retired in Feb 03 after 37 years. Now it's just fishing, golf, and now photography and whatever the wife wants to do. She's a 37 years veteran too!

herk56,

Welcome to the forum. I've got a couple thousand hours in the Herk (mostly E-models). Where do you think the nickname "propwash" came from? I tend to fly a little closer in formation than other guys do!

I think you'll enjoy the folks here on this forum. There's a lot of knowledge out there, and if you have a sense of humor, you'll fit right in!
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:49 PM   #17

Propwash,

I've flown multi-engine all my career starting with C-123's in Vietnam to KC-135s and then AC-130A gunships with the Reserves, C-130A's and then HC-130s from 1979 til 2003- a little over 8300 hours total. I'm enjoying the forum very much and look forward to learning from and contributing to the good things this forum has to offer.