Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:21 PM   #1

Just got my FZ-20 yesterday and while I was waiting for it to arrive, I've been doing my homework reading everything I could about it. While waiting , I ordered a Lowepro Toploader case, the adapter from China, and a stepup ring to 67mm so that I can use my 67mm UV and polarizer filters. I also discovered that my Pentax AF200T flash will work with the FZ-20. My next purchase will be a 67mm hood of some sort. That should do it for a while until I learn more about the camera and its capabilities.

Want to say thanks to all those who have provided all the great information, knowledge and experience contained in this forum. After seeing all the great pictures posted here, I'm really excited to get started. Fortunately I have two cats who are willing subjects and I am somewhat computer literate but I haven't scratched the surface on how to use Photoshop. Just can't make sense of the books I have on it.
herk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:47 PM   #2

People here welcomed me a couple weeks ago so I'll pass that welcome on to you.. If you have any experience with cameras at all, the Lumix is actually very easy to use (imo). If you can't get your hands around photoshop right away I might suggest http://www.picasa.com Free viewer with some pretty cool point and click edits.. Photoshop is pretty simple too (imo) once you get the hang of it. Just pick something you want to do with it and figure how to do that one thing. The rest will come eventually.. I might also suggest that within Steves' Forums is a editing software forum where you can ask specific questions about photoshop (or any of the others)..

Welcome and have fun..

Jeff
:|
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

Welcome aboard. Sounds like your prepairing for a great start...

Look forward to seeing some of your posts...:|

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:34 PM   #4

welcome aboard, herk! nice avatar... combat talon?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:55 PM   #5
scb

welcome aboard....seems like there is a lot of new Panasonic owners. As said before, the secret is out....and we are all going to have a ball with our new toys!!
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:59 PM   #6

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:08 AM   #7

Squirl033,

Actually Combat Rescue. Just retired in Feb 03 after 37 years. Now it's just fishing, golf, and now photography and whatever the wife wants to do. She's a 37 years veteran too!
herk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:10 AM   #8

Welcome ... I am sure you will learn alot about photography here ... was well as other forums!

:|
Goldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:56 PM   #9

herk56 -

Welcome - you've come to the right place. Some things I'll suggest as a fellow newbie :

My suggestions to those just starting out:

1. Start a log of every photo taken so you have a record of what you've accomplished.

2. Using PE2 or PS or whatever software you have print contact sheets to go along with your log. (There're some good PS books in the local libraries - also look in the Digital Photo stacks)

3. Get a copy of "Understanding Exposure (revised edition)" by Bryan Peterson. IMHO, probably the best 20 bucks you'll spend this week.

4. Update on #3 : Nope -DEFINATELY the best 20 bucks you'll spend

5. Fill up those memory cards and save the photos to cd - you'll be amazed how quickly you pick up the hobby when you see the improvements from shot to shot.

6. Read the posts here and on the web - a great way to start the learning curve.

Enjoy!!

kriellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:14 AM   #10

herk56 wrote:
Quote:
Just got my FZ-20 yesterday and while I was waiting for it to arrive, I've been doing my homework reading everything I could about it. While waiting , I ordered a Lowepro Toploader case, the adapter from China, and a stepup ring to 67mm so that I can use my 67mm UV and polarizer filters. I also discovered that my Pentax AF200T flash will work with the FZ-20. My next purchase will be a 67mm hood of some sort. That should do it for a while until I learn more about the camera and its capabilities.

Want to say thanks to all those who have provided all the great information, knowledge and experience contained in this forum. After seeing all the great pictures posted here, I'm really excited to get started. Fortunately I have two cats who are willing subjects and I am somewhat computer literate but I haven't scratched the surface on how to use Photoshop. Just can't make sense of the books I have on it.
Let me know when you find a 67mmhood that will work on the zoom lens. This camera requires a hood all the time. Go buy 62mm Hoya series B UV and LP for about $20.00 each. Forget the ring get a 62mm Hama hood. If you think I am wrong check out my gallery at http://lovelife.smugmug.com/. The proof is in my work.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote