Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:16 PM   #1

I have like a many others a 40GB iPod and really don't want to buy an additional 1 GB SD if I can use the iPod for storage. You can but the the current Belkin unit is so slow (1/2 hour)and eats batteries plus drains the ipod on a simple 512MB transfer.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_ Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=173207

Does anyone know if there is another unit that can allow the iPod to store digital pictures?

With the price of 1 GB SD cards dropping to around $80, I guess I could buy a couple more.

I have a FZ20 and it holds about 390 plus minus (if I don't shoot TIFF - then 60) however on my last fishing trip, I shot the full card in two days. Luckly I could get to one of those computer online places and dl to disc but, it wasn't at all convenient.

The alternative is to buy one of those 40GB storage devices like the X drive but the costs are well above $300.

I did see this unit on ebay and wondered if anyone had bought it or heard anything about it. You can get 6 GB of storage with USB 2.0 for $79 which is less than an extra 1 GB SD card.

LOOK Image Tank

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15215&item =3868472351

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:33 PM   #2

Don't know much about the Ipod but the LOOK Image tank comes from the same guy that supplies the Phayee adapter so I think it might be worth a look:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 1:41 PM   #3

I was curious about the 'image tank' too...

I haven't heard of anyone's experience with this product...

It would beat draggin' my laptop around the world with me...

I have an older 'Creative' brand, 40gb MP3 Player...(has a mini USB for D/L-Up/L music)
I wish there was a way to interface the D/L into that too.

I guess the newest IPOD will do that.

Any experience anyone has with any of this would be appreciated!
:|
McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 2:17 PM   #4

I am sure it works but I have and use this Vosonicabout twice the price but it is a card reader also

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.n...it.A/id.135/.f

And with a 40gb hard drive

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.n...it.A/id.176/.f
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 2:18 PM   #5

I am curious about the LOOK IMAGE TANK as well. Can someone who has it explain how it will work. Please explain in layman's terms. I have a FZ20 and 2 512MB hi speed cards...but no card readers or anything else. Can i transfer images from my SD card in the camera to the LOOK image tank thru the supplied USB port?? Also he has the LOOK tank w/out hard drive, what good is that?? Please explain in detail if you can how to go about transferring a full SD card to this LOOK image tank...thanks a million to whoever answers

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:59 PM   #6

I think he offers it w/out the drive, so if you have an old laptop drive laying around, or if your cousins nephews friends sister found some that fell off of a truck, you can put one of those in.

As for transfer, I read that you plug a reader into it....The same one that you would use in your computer...(one of those 25 dollar little ones would be best, I'd think.)I think he even gives you one...the kind on a cable, if I remember right.
The USB cable thing requires you use your camera battery to keep the camera turned on during the D/L. I wouldn't/don't use it...
I don't know about the speed or anything...that's kind of what I want to know too.

There's an explaination on that link...

Anyone?

Also if there's a way to adapt that Creative MP3 Player?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:08 AM   #7

Hey McGyver...I just contacted the guy selling the LOOK image tank. It comes with a battery adaptor, the image tank and its hard drive, and a card reader. So when you are ready to transfer images from the SD card to the image tank, you just use the battery adaptor they provide (it uses 4 AA batteries) and plug in the SD card into the card reader and the reader to the image tank. So you are not really using your camera's batteries.About download speeds, this is supposed to range from 400kb/s to 4MB/s...the faster being if you use a USB 2.0 I think.

hope this helps...

a 6GB will let me store about 2500 photos at the highest JPG resolution. Plus I can totally go crazy if I am on a trip and don't feel like lugging my laptop around with me. I didn't think I would ever take that many photos...but i keep thinking about film (because this is my first foray into digital). Then I went to the huntington library in pasadena CA yesterday and in a span of 3 hours took about 300+ shots. I didn't even realize it but I am glad I had enough memory and a backup battery handy. Imagine a month long trek across asia or india...I think this might be a good idea. Does anyone have any other opinions before I buy this one...thanks

seth
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:14 PM   #8

Hey,
Just found a little new info on the 'LOOK' device.

Looks pretty much like an infomercial, but it supposed to be written by an independant party...

It's 6 pages:
http://printerboyweb.net/pro_stuff/LOOK/index.php

The 'Look' website is in some asian type, so it's pretty much illegible to me.
http://www.look.com.cn/

Seems they are still supporting it though...
There's a firmware update.

The AA battery pack is a good idea.
You can get them anywhere if you are in a pinch...

I'd probably normally use one of the 50 or so 6V. A/C adapters I have laying around.

Don't know if I'd get one till I heard from someone else that actually had one..but it sure seems to be a good deal/price...

Anyone?

Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:24 PM   #9

McGyver...thanks for that info. I am still looking for someone who has used this and loves it...lol. I am surprised we haven't found anyone yet. Lucky for me my trip isn't happening for a couple of months...hopefully in that time I can get an answer and buy my drive.

seth