Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:47 AM   #1

I have had my FZ 3 for a couple of weeks and finally got outside to experiment. I shot a couple of photo's in the "P" mode into a sunset. They all have a green pixel area to the left of the setting sun. When I took the same scenic shots 45 seconds later in apperature mode, no green.

Can anyone tell me why?

sample photo below

Thanks Greyguy
Attached Images

greyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:08 PM   #2

I'me not 100% sure, but this looks like lensflare.
Nice landscape in the back; must be great to hop around with camera :|

GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:41 PM   #3

Lens flare to me too.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the response.

Two more questions. What causes lense flare and how does one prevent it? Is it more probable in auto mode "P" ?

Thanks

Jim
greyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:13 PM   #5

From what I understand it won't matter what setting you have that will deal with lens flare. It has to do with the angle you are taking your shot in relation to the bright light. In this case the sun. Possibly taking a few steps to one side or the other may help. But if it comes in directly like you have taken your shot then lens flare is what happens. I am not sure if you were using your hood attachement either. It does help with this for that reason.

I may be wrong, and hopefully if I am it could be pointed out so that both of us know for sure.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:45 PM   #6

I'm almost sure, it is Lens Flare.

It is very common when you shoot directly at the sun o a bright light source. It depends on the angle of the ligth going into the lens.

You can take it out with photoshop, but I guess it is not what you are looking for. I can only suggest changing the angle of the camera with respect of the sun.

Nice sunset, BTW
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:01 PM   #7

were you using the Panasonic lens hood and UV "protector"? if so, try removing them... the factory adapter puts the filter way too far from the lens itself, and can cause some nasty reflections. if you weren't using it, then the solution is as has been suggested before... just change the angle of your lens relative to the sun.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:04 PM   #8

Greyguy,

I forget, did you pick up a multi-coated UV filter yet? I seem to remember reading that having the adapter installed with a good MC UV (B&W or Hoya come to mind) would help reduce flare, which seems to be the consensus on your issue.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this! Just going from memory, it may have been marketing info, you know how much help that is. :G

-Brett

Look at that just as I click I'm done in, thanks for the correction.
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:44 PM   #9

Check ot this thread.. It illustrates what can happen when the filter is too far from the lens, as it is with the panasonic supplied adapter. Note that though there is a bright light source, it isn't direct sunlight. It would be worse if it were.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...62&forum_id=23

Then check out the filters thread for discussions on better adapters.

I'm in agreement, it's lens flare.. or an artifact from it. The ray of light down the center of your photo is more what I consider to be flare.. Use of a hood can also help.

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote