Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2005, 5:24 AM   #1

Hi

Anyone here tried taking concert shots with an FZ 20??? if you have please can u give me some advice as to what is the ideal ISO and mode to shoot in... I read somewhere that the ideal mode would be Shutter priority or aperture priority

I would like it you some of you guys would share yours ideas and thoughts on this...

Besties

Dyu
dyu_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:26 AM   #2

f2.8 AP priority
asa200 - 400
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:21 PM   #3

I have not taken concert photos, But I did a trial in a church. A mono/tripod is a must. Tims tip of shooting in highspeed bursts could well make a difference too. The light you're dealing with is really low; Check the exif for this one:

6mm, iso100, f/2.8, 1 full second...

I had the camera resting on a table, and kept in aiming up with my hands.

Resized only, no sharpening or other post processing.
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4

In your situation you won't be able to have exposures of 1 sec. as the performers will be moving. I would go with shutter priority and 200/400 ISO with manual WB. If you use a relatively fast shutter the camera will choose a large aperture and you can avoid excessive blur. Shoot slow speed burst and shoot a lot. Plan on post processing for noise, etc.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 2:51 PM   #5

You can usually shoot handheld with bright stage lighting. You want to try to hit a point where the performers are momentarily still. The burst mode helps you do that since the viewfinder isn't great in those situations.

Program mode is going to give you full aperture and the best shutter speed it can under the conditions. So you get the same thing in program and aperture priority. If the shutter is too low you could take note of what the camera is giving you in program or aperture priority and increasing it a tad in shutter priority. The pictures will be a little dark but they can be brought up in an image editor. Bringing up shadows in an image editor increases the noise though. There isn't a free lunch.

ISO 200 is better if you can get enough shutter speed. You might just do best to go to ISO 400 and accept the noise.

The shutter speed you need is a function of the zoom. At full wide you can handhold at about 1/6 second if you work at your holding. Some people can do better. At full telephoto you need around 1/60 seconds. 6X zoom would come out to about 1/30 second etc. You obviously want to get as close as possible so you can use the widest zoom possible.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:25 PM   #6

Program and aperture will try and give you the best EV and will slow down the shutter to take in more light. You may have to sacrifice exposure to eliminate blur. Since you'll probably be post processing , you can adjust EV at that point. It's whatever you like.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:32 PM   #7

If you go wideangle on a stage with an entire orchestra (no idea what sort of concert you've got in mind); In an orchestra situation, you've got lot's of detail in your shot, which willturn into a blurry mess, if you gonna have to remove iso400 noiselevels..

But if i's neccesary to use; Just use it!

GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:52 PM   #8

Personally... and call me cwazy, but I would set the iso to 400, use AP mode, and setting white balance is a must. Churches are tough.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:33 PM   #9

Here are some examples. I ahve to mention, these were taken very first day I got my FZ20 and had no idea about how to set it. I just did some experimenting and results were more than good, my opinion.

First one: full wide, F2.8;1/20;ISO200

Second one: full tele, F2.8;1/20:ISO100

Attached Images

Sleeps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:36 PM   #10

Forgot this one
Attached Images

Sleeps! is offline   Reply With Quote