Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:18 PM   #1

I have been reading some reviews that explain this camera has a lot of noise in its photographs in comparison to a Canon Powershot g6. Can anyone tell me if the noise is really such a huge problem. I plan on only going as high as 8x10 with my photos and most of the time 4x5. Is noise an issue I should be worrying about?
kpdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 2:51 PM   #2

In one word. No. You can get great prints with a camera that is 2.0 megapixels.

A suggestion. Look at examples of both cameras posted and I mean the ones that are not post processed but straight from the camera and resized the same size.

There are those that have printed as large as 11X14 with no noise issues with the FZ20.

Copy and then print them. You could do that with Steve's reviews of both cameras and the examples of pictures taken.

See for yourself that way.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:14 PM   #3

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
There are those that have printed as large as 11X14 with no noise issues with the FZ20.
And probably larger..

I want to touch on this noise issue for a minute.. All of us who have spent some time with these cameras have noticed higher levels of noise especially at the higher ISOs in low light situations. If we consider what we are actually recording, the noise levels are actually quite good.

The FZ20 will shoot at "Film speeds" up to 400. The area of the sensor on the FZ20 is roughly 100 square mm (assumiung the sensor to be square). A frame of 35mm film is roughly 864 square mm. 8.6 times the size of the FZ20 sensor. I bring this comparason up because if you shoot 35mm iso 400 film and enlarge it to 8x10 (roughly an 8x enlargement) you are going to see noise. Only with film they call it grain and some actually strive to show it off. Now take that same photo with the FZ20 (with the same settings)and enlarge it to 8x10, now you've gone close to 25x enlargement (sensor size 0.4").

Now what's the difference between the 2 mediums. With the film what you see is what you get. There are tricks to reduce the effect of the grain but it's always going to be there at the higher ISO. With Digital, all cameras have some sort of software to try and deal with the noise. Secondly, with the exception of the TIFF format on the FZ20, all of the files are compressed JPEG files. That in itself will introduce noise on ANY camera. It's the nature of the beast. In fact, the more you open and resave a JPEG the more noise you will introduce.

So, What does this have to do with your question? Very little except to illustrate why you should expect noise from ANY digital camera. With the FZ20 the noise levels can become more of an issue indoors with low lighting. I can't speak on the Canon, no experience with it. In either case there is also software to deal with noise. Throughout Steves' reviews he suggests Noise Ninja.

My recomendation would be to follow vIZnquests' suggestion of obtaining out of camera photos. Then pick the one You think is best. Both cameras you are considering will probably serve your purpose equally well, that is, unless you are gravitating toward the superzoom of the FZ20. Shoot at the lowest possible ISO to reduce the noise (regardless of the camera). Mine is permenantly set to 80 (FZ10 will go to 50 I believe)...

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:41 PM   #4

The fourth graph here settles the noise issue with the FZ-20. This review uses software to rate the noise levels of the FZ-20 along with several other cameras, including the Canon G5, so it's 100% objective. The FZ-20 has negligibly, nearly imperceptably more noise that many other camera in its class. A small price to pay for its capabilities, imo. See for yourself:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...Z20IMATEST.HTM

Note that the Canon G5 is off the charts (worst noise), though I don't know if same applies to the G6.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:53 PM   #5

Thanks so much for this useful information. If I am reading this right, it looks like the G5 actually has more noise in its images than the Z20 does. Am I reading the chart correctly? If this is so, I would think the noise in general is quite minimal.
kpdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:27 PM   #6

Correct:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:58 PM   #7

noise in the FZ isn't a problem any more than in any other 5MP camera in its class. it can be noticeable at higher ISO settings, especially in low light situations, but it's usually easily cleaned up if it's a problem. i've made 8x10's of night shots with the FZ20 and the noise is no more objectionable than what you'd get with 200ASA film in a 35mm SLR.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:24 PM   #8

Two cameras I've been interested in, the Nikon CP8800 and Panasonic FZ20. I've read all the reviews on both cameras and have gone the extra mile to $%#@ cameras and had them take a picture with each camera of the same scene,. The Nikon at ISO50 at its highest jpg resolution and Panasonic at ISO80 at its highest jpg resolution and had them print a 10X15 high quality print of each. Than I asked them to take a section of each picture and print the same 10X15 picture representing the equivalent of a 20X30 inch print. The result - Minimal and acceptable noise (grain} on the Panasonic, less noise on the Nikon (8meg-vs-5meg). Taking into consideration shot to shot speed, truer colors, ease and choice of other brands add on lenses and $200.00 less (Internet price) The Panasonic wins.8X10---no problem!!!!
guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:59 PM   #9

P.S. As Colombo would say---just one more thing---After pouring over every little detailof full resolution picturesof both cameras onevery major camera review site. Plus having recommended the camera to a co-worker for her New Zealand/Australia trip, she boughtthe camera the day before she left. On her return, she brought back super sharp photos ,all taken on auto (she didn't have the time to really learn the camera) I was impressed. What can I say. I'm waiting for the black body to be back in stick at B&H Photo and the FZ20 is mine + Phayee adapter, Hoya Pro 1 UV Filter, Tcon 14B, Nikon T6, Wcon 08B, Sunpak 383 Super, B+W Polarizerand I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of other stuff------SOOOO much to buy and SOOOO little money!!!! Darn!!!!
guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:47 PM   #10

I think you don't have to worry about noise. With Noiseware software you can enhance your picts at ISO400. Check it out. I'm happy with this program
Attached Images

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote