Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:43 PM   #51

bobc wrote:
Quote:
Of course I'll have to do a panaramic to get it all in one image...:G:G:G

bobc

LMAO! Good one Bobc :G
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:33 PM   #52

Quote:
This machine will easily give me the tone look that I want.
Bobc, I hope that it gives you the tone look that you want, but I highly think that is not a possibility. The word "toned" derives from the amount of fat percentage in your body or matter of fact on top of your muscles there by hiding them. No matter how muscular, how strong, how much endurance one has, if there is fat over the muscle, one can not be called "toned".

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The reason I don't want to train for bulk is because I have seen many people in the army that went to the gym and bulked up (and I'm talking huge bulk). Every single one of them had trouble with the fitness test, and especially running 2 miles. Their endurance was so lacking that if they ever went into combat, they would not have lasted 2 minutes
True and very true. There are two different types of endurance one can talk about. Strictly heart endurance and muscle endurance (type I fibers).

The people who you are referring too had neither one of the two endurance's. First they bulked up by adding an incredible amount of mass which automatically takes away muscle endurance (type II fibers). Heart endurance is also at an all time low because it is impossible to put on muscle mass while keeping up aerobic (cardio, heart) exercises. In order to bulk up one must sacrifice an extreme amount of endurance.

Mass building=no cardio, low reps.
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
I do not (and never will) intend to train for bulk. I want to train for... Endurance... Endurance... And more Endurance

The good and bad thing about our bodies is instant evolution.
You want to train for endurance so what you want to do is high reps over and over and over again..right????

Wrong!

If you read my previous post carefully, I mention that with this machine you will benefit from endurance and power, but only temporary.
Because of our bodies way of adapting to our surrounding environments, you will go through instant evolution and get used to the exercises and actually lose your endurance.
The only way to keep your endurance is to continually add more reps, use higher resistance, hit the muscle with different techniques and exercises (free weights only) or combination of both.

If one runs a mile everyday, after a few weeks your body will adapt and it will actually become more strenuous after a while, unless one tries to continually run a faster pace meaning every week take off a few seconds,,...or run longer at the same pace.

So our bodies way of adapting to exercise can be good or bad to us.
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
It's good if your into that kind of thing, but I think endurance promotes much better overall health. Plus I want to loose fat, and not gain mass. Muscle weighs about 5 times more than fat, and I want to loose weight
You said it perfectly. Muscles are worthless if you are out of breath walking upstairs...I mean com on, how much muscle do you need to wipe ones arsh.

But you have one thing wrong!

Gaining mass (muscle tissue) is the number one way of losing fat.
How and why????

Simple, muscle craves calories right. For every pound of muscle us humans burn 35-50 calories a day.

If a person weighs 200 pounds and he has 100 pounds of lean mass he will burn 3500 to 5000 calories all day. But if he raises his muscle mass by 20 pounds, then he is burning an incredible more amount of 700 to 1000 calories just by chucking along 20 pounds of mass everywhere, 24 hours a day.
Just put a bigger engine in your car and see how much more gas you will burn.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
It's funny that some people think that when you stop working out... Your muscles turn into fat.
Absolutely true 100%.

Let me explain.

Once again our bodies adapt instantly to our environment. If your hands get cold your body draws out blood to a safer area to become more efficient instead of burning calories to keep all areas warm. Incredible how this works.

If one is lifting weight or resistance training, one continually uses and tries to keep as much muscle as possible to be able to lift those weights. More muscle equals more calories burned 24 hours a day. Muscle uses glycogen as fuel...carbohydrate sugars, (explaining it so everybody understands)...so what happens when you stop lifting those weights..your body says..hey I don't need those muscles anymore (efficiency..efficiency) so I just break up those muscles and turn them into food.

How come I see people who never work out and have lots of muscle and not fat??????

Genetics and amount of testosorone.

the older you get, the less testosterone, the more muscles us men will lose,..baaaaaddddd...you want to keep as much muscle as possible. Don't let go of them.

Quote:
Your muscles turn into fat.
Its not that they turn into fat. Its that once you are losing muscle, you are craving less calories, if the same person is eating the same calories, those extra calories that could have been burned of by that now missing muscle mass go directly to fat cells for storage.

So it is true in a sense that the muscles are turning into fat, but not directly.

----------------------------------------------------------
This mentality of a machine, or a pill or a combination of the two is the number one reason people fail over and over again, and when they come to me, they have gained more fat, lost muscle and are less motivated because of false claims.

Only hard work and tips and tricks to accelerate can lead to a healthy lifestyle full of Endurance and Power.

For optimum health one should set their goals for both power and endurance, instead of picking one or the other, because they compliment and work with each other.

I want a competition between Bobc and Nick since he is doing what I have suggested.

Bobc train as you wish, Nick...just walk in the morning the way I suggested and eat 6 times a day little by little..
and at the end of 3 months we will compare....
BUT NO CHEATING...have to stay on course and be honest they whole time.

Always good to hear from you bobc.

and please anybody respond if they have something to say.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:07 PM   #53

Whoooaaaahhhh....if hot air were sweat we'd have a winner olympic team already formed here. Bobc...check out your BMI (body mass index) have you had a stress test recently ?(treadmill...injection...monitors etc) Remember, your heart is more than just a muscle. At your age if you're going to reduce the girth you have to be aware that your heart and arteries must be fit enough to take you there. There's lots of good info (if you haven't found it yet) to be found on the net. If you want to be on firm footing, know your target zone for max. BPM (beats per minute) find out what your sustained rate is. You need to come out the other end FIT, TRIMMER, but more important...ALIVE.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:12 PM   #54

OkI'll remind you if you remind me. My Total-Jim has been a great coat-hanger for the last year and you've just got me MOTIVATED. I need to workout at least six months just to get to your starting point:!:
guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:01 PM   #55

Rezajune,

I am saying the same thing as you. Maybe I am not as good at explaining as you.

I said that this machine is only part of my plan. And that the other part was walking (just like you recommended), and eventually start jogging again.

And I know there is muscle hiding under my fat. Thats why I need to do some type of aerobic conditioning in addition to the machine.

As far as the muscle turning into fat... What you said is exactly what I meant, but some people think that the muscle transorms itself directly into fat.

I know about muscular endurance and cardioresperitory endurance.

As far as the bulk thing goes... What I mean is... If a square inch of fat weighed 1 pound, and I replaced that square inch of fat with a square inch of muscle... I would be gaining about 5 pounds. I'm not saying I'm not gonna build some muscle, but not so much as to gain more muscle weight than I am losing in fat weight.

Am I explaining this right?

As far as increasing the workout every time you platoe. It depends on the individual as to what level of fitness they want to achieve before they go into the maintenance phase. This is the point where the person just has to maintain the level of fitness, and is a lot easier to do than getting to that phase.

When I got out of the army, I was happy with my fitness level. I could do 70 push ups in 2 minutes, 70 sit ups in 2 minutes, and run 2 miles in 14 minutes. I weighed 165 pounds, and could pretty much eat anything I wanted without gaining weight. I was in the maintenance phase, so I only had to work out a few times a week to maintain that level.

If I wanted to achieve a higher level, I would have had to go back into the conditioning phase... Train until I achieved the level I wanted, and go back into the maintenance phase to maintain that level.

I know about muscular conditioning... Quick & slow flex fiber, and how it takes 3 sets to totally break down both fibers to achieve total muscular breakdown to get the best training effect.

I know about cardio conditioning... MHR... RHR... MHRR... THR... That if you train at your THR for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop, you will achieve a training effect, and if you do it for longer you will achieve a better training effect, and if you over do it you can strain your heart.

My goal is to use this machine for muscular endurance, and do cardio to burn the fat so it is not hiding my muscles anymore.

KENNETHD,

Yes... I have had several stress tests, and one within the last year or so. I have also had ultra sounds, and computer imaging of my heart. I also know how to train, and am under a doctors care for panic attacks. He told me that excersize would be the best thing for me, and will help greatly with the panic attacks as well.

Thank you for your concern, and thank you Rezajune. I think we are both saying basically the same thing... I just have trouble explaining things some times.

You are really inspiring me to keep this going... Thanks Bro...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:45 PM   #56

Woonderbar!! Now vee shtart zee trrrayynink...Yah??? How about post a chart w/ankle, calf, knee, thigh, hip, waist(around the belly button, not the indented pant line) chest, deflated/inflated ....shoulder width, neck, biceps,(cold) forearm and wrist. Weight, and height too. And age. And a photo. Front, and back full length just your boxers on. Date the photos and the info. Now we can all cheer you on and note our delight at your progress. Challenge...everybody doing the routine with Bobc post the same. And everybody tossing in advice DO the same. Best regards,

Kennethd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:25 PM   #57

You first:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:18 PM   #58

nick I think I peed my pants laughing!
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:14 PM   #59

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Woonderbar!! Now vee shtart zee trrrayynink...Yah??? How about post a chart w/ankle, calf, knee, thigh, hip, waist(around the belly button, not the indented pant line) chest, deflated/inflated ....shoulder width, neck, biceps,(cold) forearm and wrist. Weight, and height too. And age. And a photo. Front, and back full length just your boxers on. Date the photos and the info. Now we can all cheer you on and note our delight at your progress. Challenge...everybody doing the routine with Bobc post the same. And everybody tossing in advice DO the same. Best regards,

Kennethd
Woooooooooooah... Slow down... I already have a full time job...:G

This is not a science, and I do not intend to record every measurement and bla bla bla...

My intent is to get in shape... Knock off 35 pounds... And do it without changing my diet.

I see all this nonsence about... try this diet, try these pills, eat this, don't eat that, only eat this in combination with that, bla bla bla...

In my opinion weight control is mostly a result of fitness level. I think that the better ones fitness level... The more effecient the body is at converting food to lean body mass... And... The more effecient it is at getting rid of the garbage.

As long as someone eats a good variety of foods, there is nothing wrong with eating junk food as long as you don't overdue it. If your body is in good shape it will take out the garbage for you.

When I was in good shape, I could eat anything. I ate a good veriety of foods so my body got what it needed. If I ate a whole pizza, my body would take what it needed and get rid of the rest.

I think people get too scientific with this stuff. I am not saying that being a glutton is ok, but there is nothing wrong with eating the things you like, if you maintain a goodfitness level.

Thank you for the motivation, and I did post some pics on the first page.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 6:59 PM   #60

Yo, dig it. I did a cup of black coffee, and two aspirins on an empty stomach, and walked for a 1/2 hour first thing in the a.m. (...it's supposed to be an hour walk but by God it's cold and windy in these parts, -12 wind chill this morning)

1. Does the coffee/aspirin combo supress your appetite? Because I felt full for hours, I wake up in the a.m.'s hungry like a gorilla. Not the morning.

2. I DID feel great. Morning cobwebs gone in record time.

What up with the coffee/aspirin thang? What's it do?

... my life goal extends beyond fitness. I want to be the "Superman" Friedrich Nietzsche wrote of in "Thus Spoke Zarathustra..."
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote