Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:02 PM   #71

Go bobc, go:arrow::arrow::arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:53 PM   #72

aw, thanks Nick! it's such a long walk from my studio back to the house! So handy on job sites too!
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:55 PM   #73

shotgun...........one thing I noticed is there is a no return policy:arrow:
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:20 PM   #74

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
aw, thanks Nick! it's such a long walk from my studio back to the house! So handy on job sites too!
Valentine's day is coming up, ya know. Perhaps you could drop some hints to your sweetie.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:41 PM   #75

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
Nick if you continue doing this let me know and I will help you accurately tell you exactly how to burn pure fat with a heart rate monitor.
Great... so far, so good. Coffee, aspirin, walk - no food. Now I haven't been walking an hour. More like 20 minutes to 1/2 hours due to the cold (it is FREEZING in Philly...err Malta, ahem), I'll be adding to that either by going to the gym to use the treadmill, or just braving the cold. I also need to drink more water.

The coffee, aspirin thing really curtails your appetite, and boosts energy. Is it supposed to do this? What's the science behind this combo? (I used to do this with b12 when I had a bad hangover, but havent drinked to stupid excess in a long while...) If feel like I lost a little already.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:54 PM   #76

NickTrop wrote:

... hurts so good, huh? As you know, that soreness goes away after consistent working out for a few weeks. Remember to stretch... as you also know, everyone sez to to do it, nobody does, but it really[ helps, and reduces the chance of injury.

Thanks nick.

My workout will be as follows...

Warm up...

Light calistetics to loosen joints, get heart rate up a little, and warm muscles...

Light stretching and joint rotation through full (normal) range of motion...

Conditioning...

Muscular...

For strength... Use enough weight so you can do no more than 10 reps per set.

For endurance... Use enough weight so you can do no more than between 20 to 30 reps per set.

First set stimulates the quick flex fiber in your muscles... Second set exhausts the quick flex fiber and stimulates the slow flex fiber in your muscles... Third set exhausts the slow flex fiber, thus achieving total muscular breakdown.

Do each set until you cannot do anymore and adjust weight to adjust for what you are training for (strenth/endurance). Some theories indicate that making the negative rep twice as long as the poitive rep gives a much better training effect. Either way your gonna get a training effect.

Work major (larger) muscle groups, and work your way to the smaller muscle groups...

Example... Doing pushups with your arms spread further apart will work more of your chest (the larger muscle group), and working your hands in closer will work more on your tricepts... The idea is... Don't wear out the smaller muscle groups out before the larger ones get any kind of a workout.

Wait about 48 hours for you muscles to rebuild themselves... The exception to this is the abdominal muscles and the calf muscles... They are the toughest muscle groups in the body and can be worked daily.

Be sure to work all your pulling muscle groups "AND" all pushing muscle groups. Your posture depends on it as well as balance and other things that you may not think could be effected.

Cardioresperitory...

Remember... Your heart is a muscle too... And with one major difference... You can damage a muscle... But... If you damage your heart... YOU CAN DIE!!!

THR (training heart rate) AIN'T NO JOKE!!!

If you do some type of aerobic acivity at your THR for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop, you will achieve a minimum training effect... If you do it for longer you will achieve a better training effect... But... DO NOT HTINK... That you can train at higher than your THR to make up for the amount of time... IT DON'T WORK THAT WAY!!!

The first thing you should do before starting any type of aerobic program is... CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR. Escpecially if you have any history of heart problems in your family.

Also... I would highly recommend asking your doctor about the asprin and coffee thing... Not that I doupt Rezajune, but the heart is something that you just cannot take any chances with.

If you are out of shape... DO NOT... Train at more than 60% of your MHR (maximum heart rate). If you don't know what MHR and THR mean, and what they are for... Find out before you start working out.

I am being very specific about this because... I do not want to post any information that could possibly do harm to someone who reads it. Everything in this post is basic fitness principles.

DO NOT... READ THIS AND JUST START DOING IT... PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!!!

Cool Down...

Keep your legs moving and arms swinging until your heart rate gets below 100 BPM (beats per minute). The reason for this is so the blood does not pool up in your legs. If the blood pools in your legs, your heart has to struggle to pump. By keeping your legs moving you are helping your heart to get the blood back. So walk in place or around in a circle.

Now... Is the best time to stretch... The muscles are warm and have had a good blood supply during the workout.

Stretch all muscle groups and hold each stretch for 10 to 15 seconds... NO BOUNCING... Do not stretch beyond the normal range of motion... If it hurts... Your stretching too far... I repeat... NO BOUNCING...

Workout Complete...

Feel The Power...

Diet And Weight Control...

This is a subject that has many americans totally on the wrong track. There are so many diets out there... It's a sin.

First of all I would like to say that... loosing more than 2.5 pounds in one week is... UNHEALTHY!!!

Also... If you go to the spa and loose weight... All you have lost is FLUID... And again... UNHEALTHY!!!

By loosing fluid, you are loosing minirals... And by loosing too much weight too fast... you are over shocking your system and can be subject to many eating dissorders. Not to mention... Forcing your body to be less capable of burning off what you are eating (or should I say... what your NOT eating).

People have been trying to loose weight by deiting alone for years, only to wind up gaining more weight than they started out with, becaused their body can no longer burn off what they can't eat... So when they cheat... They gain more weight faster. It's really pathetic if you think about it, and there are people making billions of dollars off of these people.

The real KEY to weight control is... FITNESS!!!

Itf you are fit... Your body can convert just about anything into something usefull, and have no problem getting rid of the rest.

Everyone has a different frame, so I don't mean that everyone will look exactly the same, and I am not saying that some people don't have to work harder at getting in shape or that there may be some heredity involved as well.

But....

If you get FIT... You will be a lot better at controlling your weight and keeping it under control... And still be able to eat what you like.

Don't get me wrong... You should eat right, and you should not be a glutton... But... You should be able to eat that cheese steak, or pizza, and not have to suffer for it.

I would like to hear any feed back. Although I am not the foremost expert... I was a fitness trainer in the military, and have used the methods which I posted here with a good deal of success.

So please... If someone has something to add... Feel free to jump in...

bobc[/quote]
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:18 PM   #77

Bobc............how many lbs have you lost. I know this is a sore subject:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow:: arrow::shock:
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:37 PM   #78

bobc wrote:
If someone has something to add... Feel free to jump in...
[/quote]

I would add avoid doing too many sit-up after eating an extra-large cheese burrito with a side of refried beans from Taco Bell if you're in a crowded gym.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:48 PM   #79

bobc,

One thing I did not see stressed besides the two most focused on components of "TOTAL FITNESS" is rest.

The three are Exercise, Nutrition and Rest. These are general terms in which each can go into great length and depth.

The other thing one has to consider and you touched on it is "Fallacy of Composition."

No two people are the same or alike. Somatype, Family medical history, current lifestyle and general knowledge of "TOTAL FITNESS" is a start in the right direction.

Also, no one should ever embark on a program or regimen before getting a complete physical.

Give up the cigarettes and moderate alcohol consumption. These also need to be kept in check.

I have a Bachelor of Science in Physical Education with emphasis in Kinesiology, Sports Nutrition and Physiology of Exercise. I only stated a few things in very general terms.

I stress that if you do not complement all three components you will suffer in the long run and get into "burn out." Keep that in mind.

I did the bodybuilding thing naturally and found through research and testing in various contests I entered that supplementation was a waste of money. Probably the only thing that would be essential as an addition to a diet that has a high demand on the body is chelated minerals.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:35 PM   #80

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Bobc............how many lbs have you lost. I know this is a sore subject:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow:: arrow::shock:
I've only been doing it for a week. I don't intend to concern myself with how much I weigh anyway. I am only a little over the top end of my weight range to begin with. My goal is simply to get back in shape... The weight will take care of itself.

Thanks though...
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote