Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:07 PM   #1

I got my Phayee adapter yesterday (that 2 week air mail wait seems so long!!!!) & am happy to add my vote to the many other satisfied customers of Rong Jin. It's a nice compact fit (esp. compared to the freakish 72mm adapter that comes w/ the FZ20). Almost too compact; I got a little worried attaching some of the lenses & imagined the camera lens crashing against my add-on lens when I went to turn it on... but he has done his homework & gone for a tight but adequate fit.

Incidentally, some more silver/black tradeoffs: I went for the silver fz20 (because of the hot sun issue, though I'm far enough north that it's probably not necessary), and ordered the silver Phayee adapter (straight aluminum vs. the black oxide version). I asked Rong Jin if he had one with the black finish on the inside (to minimize reflections) and he said no... I went and ordered the silver one. Now that I have it, I can see that my worries are unfounded -- when you put the Phayee on, and you turn the camera on and the lens comes out, there's very little of the inside of the adapter which is showing (only 1 or 2 mm!!) and reflections are not a problem. In hindsight I think I would have asked for a silver inner adapter (the first part which gives you the 62mm threads) and a black outer adapter (the 2nd part which gives you 72mm threads)... unless I'm not getting how you're supposed to use the 2nd part?

So my next question, is how are people using/storing addon filters? I figured I'd leave the Phayee & my Hoya 62mm UV filter on all the time, then put the 6T and/or 5T on after that (6T first, 5T 2nd) when I need to take ultracloseups.

Anyone got a recommendation for a filter pouch to hold the 5T and 6T, and what features one should look for in such a beast? is this thing decent, or would I be wasting my $$: http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=14
I'm looking for something small.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:47 PM   #2

p.s. here are some test pics using the 5T and 6T. I am very impressed w/ the fz20's auto white balance & exposure. My lighting source (sunlight) disappeared behind clouds as I was taking this sequence, and the exposures ranged from 1/160 sec to 1/2.5 sec. Colors look accurate in all cases.

All pics are at 3MP high-compression setting (I'm a diskspace miser, saving the 5MP for special occasions), of two rocks (quartz w/ map lichen, red/white/black rock is probably granite but I'm not sure) next to a tape measure (showing inches; the left-hand column series has 1/16" tickmarks; the right-hand column has 1/32" tickmarks since I turned the tape measure around inadvertently).

fz20+Phayee+hoya S-MHC uv filter alone (click on the pictures to see fullsize, straight from the camera unedited):

"Sweet spot" for maximum reproduction ratio (e.g. ending up with the largest image of a given subject) while still maintaining focus was around 2.5x. You can get closer with lower magnifications but the image will be smaller; beyond 2.5x the minimum focus distance increases rapidly. Distance from camera to subject in this case was only a few cm.

fz20+Phayee+hoya+6T:

No sweet spot; max repr. ratio is at full zoom (12x).
Camera-to-subject distance was roughly 8-10".

fz20+Phayee+hoya+6T+5T:

Again, no sweet spot; max repr. ratio is at full zoom (12x).
Camera-to-subject distance was roughly 8-10", maybe a little closer than fz20+6T.

I didn't take test pics showing only the 5T, but it also seemed to have max repr. ratio at full zoom. (which I think makes sense given the way focal distances add reciprocally... the fz20's 2m minimum focal length at high zooms shrinks to just below the closeup lens's focal length [5T=1m/1.5diopters=66.6cm; 6T=33.3cm; 6T+5T=22.2cm], whereas at the lower zooms the fz20's minimum focal length is so short [only a few cm] that the builtin lens dominates and the addon lenses don't do much.)

Depth of field is *very* narrow at high repr. ratios. (do they make tripod attachments which let you move your camera forward/backward for macro work, rather than moving the tripod? moving tripod is problematic on non-flat surfaces; using the focus ring is OK but I find it much easier to focus w/ macro subjects by moving the camera)

(Most of this is probably old news to those of you who are macro experts, but I thought I would post this for the benefit of beginners)
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:37 PM   #3

Sorry for the question, but... how did you attached the pictures that way, inside the text, and as thumbnail?? :angry:
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:52 PM   #4

I just ordered a set of 62mm & 72mm stack caps for my 6T from:

http://stores.ebay.com/the-gapjohn-s...enameZl2QQtZkm

There are other sellers on ebay that have stack caps too, they all seem to have 62mm available even if they don't have them listed right at the moment. I chose this store because the prices + shipping were low.

Mine haven't arrived yet but they should be nice even if you get a wallet as well. The thing that appealed to me is the fact that I could just stuff the filter into my pocket and have it be protected - yet ready when a macro subject popped up if I went for a walk without my Lowe pouch. My 72mm filters came with a leather pouch, but if I put the 6T in with them I know some glass would get scratched. I really like the idea of metal protecting both sides of the 6T.

After looking at your pics I think I might look around for a 5T as well, nice comparison shots.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:29 AM   #5

arghman wrote:
Quote:
I got my Phayee adapter yesterday (that 2 week air mail wait seems so long!!!!) & am happy to add my vote to the many other satisfied customers of Rong Jin. It's a nice compact fit (esp. compared to the freakish 72mm adapter that comes w/ the FZ20). Almost too compact; I got a little worried attaching some of the lenses & imagined the camera lens crashing against my add-on lens when I went to turn it on... but he has done his homework & gone for a tight but adequate fit.

Incidentally, some more silver/black tradeoffs: I went for the silver fz20 (because of the hot sun issue, though I'm far enough north that it's probably not necessary), and ordered the silver Phayee adapter (straight aluminum vs. the black oxide version). I asked Rong Jin if he had one with the black finish on the inside (to minimize reflections) and he said no... I went and ordered the silver one. Now that I have it, I can see that my worries are unfounded -- when you put the Phayee on, and you turn the camera on and the lens comes out, there's very little of the inside of the adapter which is showing (only 1 or 2 mm!!) and reflections are not a problem. In hindsight I think I would have asked for a silver inner adapter (the first part which gives you the 62mm threads) and a black outer adapter (the 2nd part which gives you 72mm threads)... unless I'm not getting how you're supposed to use the 2nd part?

So my next question, is how are people using/storing addon filters? I figured I'd leave the Phayee & my Hoya 62mm UV filter on all the time, then put the 6T and/or 5T on after that (6T first, 5T 2nd) when I need to take ultracloseups.

Anyone got a recommendation for a filter pouch to hold the 5T and 6T, and what features one should look for in such a beast? is this thing decent, or would I be wasting my $$: http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=14
I'm looking for something small.
It is caled a filter stack but only support one mm witha male and female threaded disks and all your 62mmfilters and 6t screwed together.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:57 AM   #6

Quote:
msantos: Sorry for the question, but... how did you attached the pictures that way, inside the text, and as thumbnail??
it's a [ URL ] tag wrapped around an [ IMG ] tag with the IMG tag pointing to the thumbnail. (photobucket maintains a thumbnail pic for each "real" picture.) Source looks like this: (edit: I had to insert a linefeed between the URL & IMG tags otherwise this site makes the page width huge)
Code:

(fyi the {} button wraps a [ code ] [ /code ] tag to let you post stuff verbatim like this)