Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:16 PM   #1
dlw

I could use some help with my new FZ20. I just can't seem to get indoor pictures and am gettinga bit frustrated, obviously trying too many different things with less that stellar results. The attached pictures were take with the mode dial at P, using the flash and ISO 200. Any suggestions? All the pictures I took turned out this way, never had this problem with my old Kodak digital, but I'm sure with a kick in the right direction I could learn to love this Panasonic.

dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:31 PM   #2

I don't really see anything wrong, except for white balance.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:39 PM   #3
dlw

White balance? Ok, I'll try to manually set it. Would this affect the darkness also? I shot a couple of pics without the flash and they were much better. Excuse my ignorance, but does the screen display or something indicate whether or not you need the flash?
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:00 PM   #4

White balance doesn't affect anything but the color of the picture. Different light sources, including the flash, have different colors. They may all look white but they are different. Flourecant lights, for example, will have a greenish cast in color photos, which is the way yours appears to me (could be my screen). If the flash is able to overcome the room lighting then it's usually a non issue (in general). I've found that the flash on the lumix does not fall into that catagory in most cases other than close range (5-10 feet).

If you look at the bottom of the screen when you are ready to take your picture, you will see the shutter speed at half press (the shutter button). If it is red and low (like 1/15 sec) then you may not have enough light to get a good exposure. Use the flash then. Tying into your second post, without the flash, the antishake on and auto white balance, both doing thier job as they should. For minimum noise, I would also recommend setting the ISO to 80 and leaving it there. It takes a little getting used to but once you do, I'm confindent you'll love the camera.

Jeff
:|
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:27 PM   #5
dlw

jsiladi, thank you so much for the info (shutter speed in red at half press of shutter button). I swear I did not see that and cannot find it in the camera booklet that came with the camera, even though I now know, thanks to you, what to look for. Where did you glean this information? Is there some more complete documentation for the camera anywhere? Thank you again, that explained the answer to my question very cleary!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:42 PM   #6

are you using the built in flash? you didn't say
i would go with an aftermarket flash ..
there is an adjustment in the camera for the built in flash make sure it's crank all the way up for shots like those ...but a after market flash will do a better job in that situation
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:53 PM   #7

It first appears on page 34 of the manual that I have (part number VQT0M38-2 on the front cover) on the right side of the page about half way down. It actually says you should use a tripod in the red situation because the exposure may be too long to get clear by hand held. But, If you use the flash in those situations on auto shutter or P mode, you should get a decent exposure. But like I said, The antishake will compensate for a lot. If you don't want to use the flash or cant for some reason and you're reasonably steady, you can get a clear shot at speeds as slow as 1/2 second.

Jeff
:?
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:31 PM   #8
dlw

jsiladi, Once again you have helped me. I don't know how many times I ran through that booklet and didn't see that info. It doesn't help that I'm pressed for time due to a trip that I am planning to take the camera on Monday, definately one of the reasons for my impatience with the camera. This forum has been so helpful, as I've been up and down about the FZ20 sinceI got it. With all of the help I've gotten here, I think I may just make it! Aside from the indoor shots issues, I've gotten some great outdoor shots I think. My hobby is photographing old barns and houses as I travel on my job.

Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:41 AM   #9

I don't know what your job is but if the travel is anything like I use to do, you'll have plenty of scenery, buildings, barns, and other good subjects to stretch the legs out on your new toy..

Jeff