Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:45 PM   #1
scb

Just picked it up on Ebay..everything looks good. Test flash works. Set menu as per manual. Force flash light is on in both P and M mode. I've changed batteries....cleaned contact point on camera and flash, tried all auto settings on flash unit.

Any way of testing the connection on the flash unit...such as using a test wire to complete circuit and make the flash fire? Otherwise, I'll have to see if the unit will work on a different camera or have the unit checked at a camera shop.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! THANKS!
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:00 PM   #2

If you look on the groove of the flash where it slides into the shoe you should find a contact (not the one on the bottom). Short that contact to the one on the bottom and it should fire. That's essentially what happens when the camera fires the flash.

That side contact could also require cleaning..

Good luck,
Jeff
:?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:08 PM   #3
scb

Thanks....I had thought about that,but wasn't sure if it was ok to do it.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4

On the 4 way toggle switch on the camera there is a flash symbolon the right hand side. If you accidently hit it and turn off the flash it won't fire. Look on the display and if there is an X thru the flash symbol toggle the switch and try the flash. Also make sure the 383 is fully seated on the camera. Good luck:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:39 PM   #5

Hey SCB..how is the sunpak 383 working out for you? Iam a relative newcomer to photography and as such am wondering about this purchase.Usually i hate using flash unless i abolutely have to just because of how harsh the lighting is and how unflattering it is on the subjects. With the 383 I know that I can bounce flash of surroundings and tone it down a bit. Do you notice a huge difference in photo's between the built in flash and using the sunpak 383??

Also for the built in flash...does it help if you just lower the intensity of the flash? Does that help lower that unflattering harsh light?? or am i completely off base?

thank...Seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:40 AM   #6
scb

The flash unit I received ended up being broken. So, it is being returned....seller has agreed to a refund...real classy ebayer!

Meanwhile, I have ordered a new Sunpak 383.....it really looks to be a nice unit, and I will post results when I can.

Thanks to all for the help!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:59 PM   #7
scb

Quote:
Also for the built in flash...does it help if you just lower the intensity of the flash? Does that help lower that unflattering harsh light?? or am i completely off base?
I've only tried a few experiments...but it does make a difference. Set up a shot at a given distance, then take several shots as you change the flash level. Review the pictures and see what happens. Distance to subject and lighting conditions as well as your camera settings will have an impact.