Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:07 AM   #1

Hello guys like most of you while using my FZ20 I shoot and store in the highest resolution JPEG format. Then when i get back to my computer I transfer them all and convert them to TIFF. How do i convert the whole album to TIFF in one step?? Right now I seem to only be able to convert one photo at a time, which as you can imagine is very very time consuming. Is there a way to transfer all the photos at once to TIFF format.

I know that JPEG compression loses data everytime one opens and closes a picture...How does a bitmap image fare? Rather than converting an image to TIFF...would it be beneficial to convert them to bitmap? are there any disadvantages?

Basically if there is a technique you advanced photographers use to speed up transfer and formatting please let us novices know. Thanks to everyone in advance

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:52 AM   #2

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
How do i convert the whole album to TIFF in one step??...
I don't know what software you are using ?

In Photoshop:
- You have to create an Action (Save As... to Tiff)
- Thenselect Batch' command in menu File/Automate/Batch...
- In theBatch dialogue box,youneed to selectthe action you wantto playat PLAY area.
- Choose the Source Folder at SOURCE area (the original photos folder)
- Choose the Destination Folder at DESTINATION area (the empty folder)

If you're using ACDSee (it's easier, imo):
- Select all the photos
- Then select Convert File Format command

...but I don't know why you need to transfer from JPEG (original format) into TIFF. IMO, nothing get better, just make the files size too big.

If you only open and close the JPEG files don't change anything else, I don't think they lose data.

Hope this help

Basac,

Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:56 AM   #3
Administrator

As Basac said, you only risk losing anything if you save the image again.

Even then, loss is not that bad, depending on how much compression youuse when resaving it.

See the October 2004Tech Corner article from Mike Chaney on the subject:

JPEG Images: Counting Your Losses

Personally, I always save my original images, never overwriting them. Then, I work with copies. If for any reason I decide to do something different with an image later, I start out with a copy of the original again.

If you're going to be using more than one editor for enhancing images, and need to resave a JPEG file multiple times, and you are concerned about quality loss, there are a number of tools you can use to convert them to another format.

One free editor that can do this is is Irfanview. You can download it from http://www.irfanview.com. Then, download the free plugins, too.

You can either convert one image at a time, or you can convert multiple photos using Batch Mode. To use Batch Mode, go to "File, Thumbnails" and select a folder. Then, use the "File, Start Batch Dialog with Selected Thumbnails" menu choice. You can add more photos to the ones you want to process then.

Make sure to select a different output directory so that you don't overwrite the originals (especially since you don't want to ruin them if you make a mistake).

You'll see an Output Format Menu choice for selecting a filetype for saving. Make sure to select the Options button so you can select any options associated with the file format selected.

If you want to do more with an image at the same time,then select the "Advanced" button and you'll have lot of options (including resizing, sharpening, color, contrast, converting to greyscale, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:22 AM   #4

I don't know why you would want to do this. The only way that jpeg will be degraded is if you save it to the same format repetedly.

What you should do is... If you are going to edit an image... Save it to an uncompressed format (tiff, bmp, etc...) first... Then do your editing... Then save it back to jpeg (if you want), and keep the original intact.

Every 2 meg jpeg will take up 15 meg in tiff... So if you have 100 jpegs (200 meg)... It will take up 1,500 meg (or 1.5 gig) on your hard drive... Plus the 200 meg for the originals.

A dedicated 120 gig hard drive will hold about 8,000 tiff's... Or about 60,000 jpeg's.

There almost no difference in quality between the two unless you edit the jpeg. You can take a pic in each format... Open them both up in an image editor... And zoom in 1,600x... And you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:49 AM   #5

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I don't know why you would want to do this. The only way that jpeg will be degraded is if you save it to the same format repetedly.

What you should do is... If you are going to edit an image... Save it to an uncompressed format (tiff, bmp, etc...) first... Then do your editing... Then save it back to jpeg (if you want), and keep the original intact.

Every 2 meg jpeg will take up 15 meg in tiff... So if you have 100 jpegs (200 meg)... It will take up 1,500 meg (or 1.5 gig) on your hard drive... Plus the 200 meg for the originals.

A dedicated 120 gig hard drive will hold about 8,000 tiff's... Or about 60,000 jpeg's.

There almost no difference in quality between the two unless you edit the jpeg. You can take a pic in each format... Open them both up in an image editor... And zoom in 1,600x... And you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

bobc
This is why I keep pointing out the jpeg 2000 file format for editing, viewing and archival. Lossless like tiff, small file size of jpg. Infranfiew supports it through a free plug-in, and if you search jpeg 2000 you will find other nfo and free plug-ins in other threads, including a free Photoshop plug-in. As JimC points out, Infranview will batch process saving files to the j2p format.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6
Administrator

Whatever you decide to do, I'd always make sure to keep a copy of the original, unedited image (straight from the camera).

Chances are, virtually any image edit can result in some loss of quality, even if a file is saved in a lossless format after editing.

Your original imageisyour "digital negative", and I'd start out with a fresh copy of it whenever I wanted to do different edits, to make sure I'm starting out with the best the camera could produce in the mode it was using at the time.

Your original JPEGalso contains EXIF and IPTC data which can be lost converting to other formats.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:37 PM   #7

WOW...you guys are soo awesome and helpful. I feel soo stupid now...and all the misconceptions that I had came out of the notion that JPEGs degrade everytime I open and close it. I now know that is NOT the case, I am actually pissed that someone told me that a while back...Grrr...lol.

Now that I know that degradation only occurs when re-saving an existing file. Iwon't have to convertall my files to TIFF. Like some of you have said...I will always have a folder with the original copies in them. If any of them need editing, then I will convert those to TIFF and work on them and resave them as edited files. I will leave the originals in pristine condition...lol...so that I will always haveaccess to themif I ever needed something different in the future.

Thank you guys for clearing up this basic concept of JPEG degradation, which i promise you will save me Soooo much time...lol. If iknew you in person, this would definitely be cause for me to buy you all adrink at the very least. Thanks once again

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:57 PM   #8
ret

The jpg2000 format, in lossless mode, provides a great deal of disk space savingscompared to the tif or psd formats as long as youremember it doesn't support layers.
ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:48 PM   #9

indiawala schreef:
Quote:
If any of them need editing, then I will convert those to TIFF and work on them and resave them as edited files.
I think this is still not neccesary mate; You won't lose quality by opening a jpg; only by re-saving it as a jpg. So if you edit a file, and want to keep the exact same quality, you will have to save your edited file as a tiff, or jpg2000, or any other lossless format; Converting a jpg to tiff, editing it, and than saving it back ro jpg won't make any difference. In that case, you could best shoot in tiff format.

Have a good one! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:57 PM   #10

Ah, this brings me to a something I tried some time ago; I wanted to see how much difference there was between tiff and jpg fine on the fz20. So I set up the tripod, aimed for some detailed scene, locked the focus on manual, to rule out a focus difference, and took two pictures in full manual mode. 1 tiff, 1 jpg fine.

After opening both files, and enlarging the exact same portion from 200, to 1600% i couldn't find any difference in quality :?

So, my question is: What's the big difference between the 2 modes? (exceptan 8:1 filesize difference )
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote